Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis design
Doug68

posted on 12/8/07 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
I hope this comments will be helpful...

Blue lines delete.
Red Lines add. Verticals and horizontals 50x25 and bracing 25 square.

"A" I don't see where the load from this can go? you'll be sitting the other side so any sort of structure will be hard to do there I'm guessing?

"B" Lower the whole frame and mount the suspension brackets on top to get rid of the dog leg?

"C" I suspect the control arm would clear a lowered frame section? So the bottom tube can be straightened out.

My other lesson for the day is don't make tube join angle too acute or they become a PITA to weld.

[Edited on 12/8/07 by Doug68] Rescued attachment EDIT.jpg
Rescued attachment EDIT.jpg

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

kb58

posted on 12/8/07 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
After you tentatively place the tubes, make sure there's still room for your tires! The foward lower tubes look like they're getting close.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rpmagazine

posted on 12/8/07 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doug68
I hope this comments will be helpful...

Blue lines delete.
Red Lines add. Verticals and horizontals 50x25 and bracing 25 square.

"A" I don't see where the load from this can go? you'll be sitting the other side so any sort of structure will be hard to do there I'm guessing?

"B" Lower the whole frame and mount the suspension brackets on top to get rid of the dog leg?

"C" I suspect the control arm would clear a lowered frame section? So the bottom tube can be straightened out.

My other lesson for the day is don't make tube join angle too acute or they become a PITA to weld.

[Edited on 12/8/07 by Doug68]

A attaches to a cross beam that is also the apex of a transverse box section made from Al honeycomb panel. This boz section houses the 75lt fuel tank on the passengers side.
B, despite my great reservations I am considering a fabricated upright. I can construct the dogleg section (under the gearbox) such that there is minimal loss of stiffness, but it adds weight and is less than elegant. The point B you note has a removable diagonal from the mid trinode, not shown in this image...I'll try to find an image of it.
Not quite sure what you mean by C. The bottom tube is straight. The forward leading tape represents the forward leg of the L arm and the mount would be just in front of the angled tube. There is another tube not shown at this point that mirrors the diagonal and runs to the center of the car.
Agreed re the welding, the mockup has already solved many of these issues. The rear structure will be a mix of round and square tube.
KB it is deceiving as there is approx 5" of clearance. The width of the block of wood represents the absolute maximum tyre I would consider possible at 335 wide and that just clears. I am intending to use 255.40.17 at the rear.

[Edited on 12/8/07 by rpmagazine]

TheGecko

posted on 13/8/07 at 03:54 AM Reply With Quote
Neil,

Good to see you making progress. Also good to see I'm not the only one mocking up in "structural masking tape"

Dominic
Mock up engine bay
Mock up engine bay

rpmagazine

posted on 13/8/07 at 04:10 AM Reply With Quote
Not at all...you gave me the idea. I did find a secondary benefit though: I made up the basic structure with flexible joints (hot glue and tape) and ran tape lines where I thought tubes needed to go. Then I pushed on various nodes simulating loads/forces being fed into the chassis. I then watched which tapes deflected/changed and this told me where the structure needed to go. It saved me a HUGE amount of time and work!
rpmagazine

posted on 22/8/07 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Rear structure update: The joy of non asymmetric tetrahedrons in a non planar truss -

Spyderman

posted on 22/8/07 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
I am a little confused. If all of those tape lines are going to be structural tubes how are you going to get the engine in and out?

Spyderman

rpmagazine

posted on 22/8/07 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Yes the tape lines represent structural tubes. There are about 5 options, but the two under serious consideration are having the majority of the rear structure detach from the main hoop etc. The second is that the lowest/floor section will detach from the firewall and from immediately prior to the first transverse arm, which means the complete drive train can drop out the bottom of the car...minus driveshafts.

[Edited on 22/8/07 by rpmagazine]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.