Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Should the earth lead smoke ????
flak monkey

posted on 19/3/07 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
I have the 25mm^2 cable on my 2 litre pinto ad the main earth, then from the same point on the chassis a single earth braid from halfrauds. The cable ratings are for continuous draw. Also the std pinto positive starter motor cable is smaller than 25mm^2 (think its 16 or 20).

Mine works perfectly well. Didnt have a problem when I was cranking it trying to get it to start for the first time. No smoke, hot wires or anything like that.

I would suggest the simplest of things (like me):

Make sure your earth points are clean, bare metal. Might be worth disconnecting them and checking. Once they are clean and working put a dollop of vaseline or water proof grease on them to stop them corroding.

If your starter motor is still questionable, i would attempt to try another one.

This is why i fitted an electric fuel pump, you dont need to crank the engine over to get fuel to the engine. Dad started mine up after 6 weeks of standing, and it fired up as soon as the start button was pressed. Can you tip some fuel in the carb bowls or take the pipe off the pump and draw some petrol through and prime the system manually. Take the plugs out so there is less resistance in the engine while cranking etc?

David

[Edited on 19/3/07 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

JoelP

posted on 19/3/07 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
simple test, put a jump lead between the negative terminal of the battery and the lifting eye on the engine, should sort it if its a poor earth.

If you need to suck fuel through and its a mechanical pump, try removing the spark plugs (and coil lead!) to make it easier for the starter to turn the engine.

Balls, need to read page 3 before posting!

[Edited on 19/3/07 by JoelP]

Peteff

posted on 19/3/07 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Check your timing again if it's slowing the starter down. It sounds like you might have a lot of advance. Does it sound as if it's turning a few times and then locking and struggling? Is the thin wire from your ignition to the solenoid getting very hot as well?

[Edited on 19/3/07 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

TangoMan

posted on 19/3/07 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:
Originally posted by TangoMan
I would think 3 10mm earth leads should be plenty (and then some!!)

Have you checked the starter motor. It could be that you have a short under cranking which sends much of your power straight to earth. This would explain a quickly discharging battery and the smoking cables.

I am not sure what current your starter should draw but it may be worth testing it.

If you have a set of jump leads, try connecting them both from battery negative to engine or one from body to engine and one from battery earth to engine. This will verify if your earth leads are the problem.

Edited 'cos Dave Jenkins post came in while I was typing. If the starter is OK then look elsewhere. Timing/ Very tight engine etc.

[Edited on 19/3/07 by TangoMan]

It's the battery earth lead that smokes, only one of those. Three engine earth's will be more than enough as you say.

So now I am confused. But that's not unusual

Ditchlewis,
Where to the 3 earth leads connect to/from?? For starting you need power and earth between battery and engine. Do you have a lead directly between battery negative and engine? If this is the smoking one then try two. I still suspect starter though!!
As said earlier, try the jump lead test and then you will know what you are up against.

Summer's here!!!!

Mr G

posted on 22/3/07 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Only if it's 16 or older (18 in October)

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.