<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lightest options
loggyboy

posted on 13/6/08 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Engine wasnt really what i was asking about
NS Dev

posted on 13/6/08 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
again, think about the actual all up weight of the car........

I have an XE in mine on an ST chassis and its 540kg all up, and as was mentioned further up, its not tricky to build one under 500kg if you buy light wheels and alloy casings etc, mine has neither.

It also has cortina front uprights and iron hubs, plus sierra steel rear uprights and hubs, plus iron sierra rear calipers and the overly heavy st uprights............

It would not be at all tricky to lose another 25kg, and at a push 40 kg should be do-able, as I also have a stainless fuel tank not ally......................

With 204hp (Standard redtop on throttle bodies and decent exhaust) it isn't exactly a slouch, 0-60 is around 3.9 secs.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

NS Dev

posted on 13/6/08 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
PS in answer to the question, use a type 9 ford.

They are not too heavy, ally casings are readily available, as are nice ratios, they are compact and generally easy to deal with.

Yes there are better boxes out there (I have a Caterham 6 speed all alloy one if you want it, £1200 and its yours) but they cost £££ or have crap ratios or no spares availability.

The type 9 still wins, even though I accept they are getting rarer.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Z350

posted on 13/6/08 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
again, think about the actual all up weight of the car........

I have an XE in mine on an ST chassis and its 540kg all up, and as was mentioned further up, its not tricky to build one under 500kg if you buy light wheels and alloy casings etc, mine has neither.

It also has cortina front uprights and iron hubs, plus sierra steel rear uprights and hubs, plus iron sierra rear calipers and the overly heavy st uprights............

It would not be at all tricky to lose another 25kg, and at a push 40 kg should be do-able, as I also have a stainless fuel tank not ally......................

With 204hp (Standard redtop on throttle bodies and decent exhaust) it isn't exactly a slouch, 0-60 is around 3.9 secs.

260BHP and 497kg goes quite well too

To be honest getting a Westfield under 500kg ready to race is not easy or cheep but the benefits are worth it.

NS Dev

posted on 13/6/08 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
yea, that's some power to weight, but a bit more budget than I can afford!!

Mine is "just" a road car, as I race autograss, the money has to go on the racer rather than the "locost" lol

Z350

posted on 14/6/08 at 06:03 AM Reply With Quote
As for cost its been a four year project and a lot of stuff has been source second hand. And friends have joked that I should have sponsored by eBay on the car as lots of the stuff that has been removed from the car have been resold on there. The autograss look like fun though

[Edited on 15/6/08 by Z350]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.