Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: There are Just to many!!! HLP PLZ
Gremlin

posted on 9/1/09 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
There are Just to many!!! HLP PLZ

Started building a car number of years back now with an R1 engine I had. Mid way through divorce struck and I lost the garage and car.

Looks like now I may be able to start again but in that time I’m sure there must have been loads of new engines used and reading through there seems to be loads! So I’m now lost.

I quite like the looks of the R1 still but also now seem to be leaning towards the ZX12r and also see the smaller ZX10r and GSXR1000 being used a bit.

Can someone help me... would the ZX12r be a powerful, as reliable as possible and average difficulty to fit? Much support on this engine by companies such as MK etc or are there other preferred engines..??

EZy GreMLiN

"The only way to get rid of temptation is too give in to it..!"

ReMan

posted on 9/1/09 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
The R1 is probably still the most popular/common/easily fiitted lump
eznfrank

posted on 9/1/09 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'm doing a ZX12 Indy and I would describe my skills as "average" and I've had no major issues. Busa (ish) power as standard - 178BHP but less pennies, although possibly not as tuneable.

If you buy from Malc he'll tell you most of what you need to know and there's guides on here for wiring etc. There's a quite a few ZX12 cars done or ongoing so shouldn't be a massive issue.

Hellfire

posted on 9/1/09 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Any of those engines would be good. Choice really depends how deep your pockets are. Personally, I'd go for either the ZX10R or the ZX12R.

The ZX12R will give you more bhp but slightly less torque than the Busa.

Phil

Gremlin

posted on 9/1/09 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks I think that helps quite a bit already.

How much difference is there between the ZX10R and ZX12R?

Any other power plans worth considering?

Oh and who is Malc and do I need to shine a bat symbol into the sky to contact him?

EZy GreMLiN

mookaloid

posted on 9/1/09 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Malc - yorkshire-engines on here

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

sorens2

posted on 9/1/09 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
I´ve bought the ZX12R to my MNR.
I had the same questions when I had to choose.
Went for the ZX as it has a little more power than the Busa.
Good luck with your build.

Soren S2

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 9/1/09 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
The ZX10R has more bhp than the ZX12R but less torque. The ZX10R engine is a fair bit lighter than the ZX12R though.

Tough decision...............

Phil

Bigheppy

posted on 9/1/09 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
[quote
How much difference is there between the ZX10R and ZX12R?

locoR1

posted on 9/1/09 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Gremlin,

You still wont go far wrong with an R1 depends very much on you budget you could always turbo it later if you felt the need that's what i ended up doing with the 99 R1 engine i brought of you and its still going strong

Bit of a coincidence was reading this post and spotted Weymouth in you sig 2+2=4 and all that!
Sorry to here about the divorce sounds like your getting sorted now though i didn't realize back then why you sold it.

Anyway good luck with the new build.

Dave...

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

Gremlin

posted on 14/1/09 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Dave, glad to hear its going well still and someone actually got to use it rahter than it waste away.

How hard/expensive is it to turbo it after and what power did you get before and after?

Just thinking of all options.

EZy GreMLiN

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 14/1/09 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
ZX12, good power, reliable, a large lump as is the GSXR1300, both are great. Latter requires a dry-sump absolutely, if on the track.
ZX10 has a torque challenge, but the top end is phenomenal. GSX-R1000 is an awesome power plant, slightly fragile, GSX-R750 powered car isn't any slower on a circuit and sounds incredible. Later engines have a compact final drive/barrel geometry.
Blade 919-954 and R1 will give you very little problems and are great, solid little engines. R1 really pioneered the compact gearbox thing.
Obscure - V-Twins (I've run a TL1000R), Rocket (TTS supercharge it nicely), Triumph Triple (I have 955i bike, sounds different), BMW K bricks. On the subject of BMW, the new GP road-bike engine will probably be awesome when it's out and available.

Moorron

posted on 14/1/09 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
How is the BHP compaired between the engine? What i mean is most of them are with 'ram air' which is dependant on the speed of the bike and aerodynamics of the inlet. In a car they dont have this ram air so would the differences be larger or smaller if put on a rolling road?

Take the ZX10 and ZX12. They are very close on BHP when in the donor bikes, but if you took both engines and put them in the same car and ran them on a rolling road (assume air filter/exhaust/fueling was all the same) would the zx10 be as close on output to the zx12?

ps get a ZX12R and join the family bro.

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

mr henderson

posted on 14/1/09 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
I have a client's ZX12R MK Indy in the workshop at the moment for some wiring , and the engine installation seems very neat and well thought out. Can't ccomment on the sump issue as his is dry sumped with the tank in part of the passenger's footwell.

John

locoR1

posted on 14/1/09 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Its been a really good engine and had some real abuse over the last few years without problems.

As for turboing its not cheep if you doing all your own fabrication and find some bargain second-hand bits costs can be kept reasonable but it never stops there,Your then into boost controllers ect to put the power down.
Never had it on the rollers but would be surprised if its not 200 BHP @ the wheels.
Makes for some interesting driving

Dave.....

Description
Description

Gremlin

posted on 14/1/09 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Glad to hear the engine is running well... green with envy... If only all had been ok it could have been in my car now! At least its been used well.

Oh well at least I can look to start now again.

That said I think its the ZX12r I am leaning at the moment for an Indy build. Just have to see how funds go when I look at prices.

EZy GreMLiN

locoR1

posted on 14/1/09 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
don't thing you will go far wrong with the ZX12r powerful modern engine and been about for a while now!

Lots of people built ZX12r indys as well so you should find plenty of help on here.

Description
Description

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.