Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: New member, my car and a question about my brakes!
ell_bkr

posted on 4/4/09 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
New member, my car and a question about my brakes!

I've been lurking on here for a while now and as i've now finally purchased a car i thought i'd post up and introduce myself!

I'm Ell, I'm 22 and live in Leeds.

After month of searching I picked this up last week:

Its a Tiger Super six built in 2003 and running a 2.0 pinto. It needs a little bit of work and it's a little bit tatty however nothing a bit of polishing wont get rid of! Hope you all like it!

Something i wanted to ask you all. The brakes on the car are PANTS! I have to really nail the pedal to get it to slow down. There so bad, at first i wondered if the fronts were even working! The brake pedal doesnt feel overly spongy so dont think they need bleeding. I was wondering if its possible that the pads have deteriated or maybe been contaminated? They've got plenty of meat on them and have only done 4500 miles however are probably 5-6 years old. Any suggestions? Its got drums on the back and vw stamped calipers on the front.

Cheers in advance everyone!

****edit****

Sorry, one other thing. The radiator has a slight leak, i'm currently in the process of flushing the cooling system, whats everybodys take on using radweld in a pinto? I've read mixed reviews on the stuff. ta

[Edited on 4/4/09 by ell_bkr]

hellbent345

posted on 4/4/09 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
hi! welcome and nice car, i dont know much about brakes but sounds like either pads are gone, hardened over time or similar, or the pad arent contacting properly because of a problem with the automatic brake movement 'thing' lol

tul214

posted on 4/4/09 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Ell,

The S6 has the front brakes from a mk1 golf gti. Some are vented, some are not. The rears are Cortina drums on the Cortina axle.

The golf brakes where always considered crap on the Golf and I worried about mine when I 1st drove my S6 but you do get used to them. I have now fitted Mintex 1144 pads and they where faultless at the last trackday I did.

There is a 280mm conversion kit you can buy but honestly, with a lightish car you shouldn't need them.

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

rusty nuts

posted on 4/4/09 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome, I once worked for our local VW agents and can tell you that Golf brakes are not very good even when new. We had loads of guys buy a mk1 Gti without road testing one, drive 1/2 mile up the road till they came to a roundabout and then come back saying the brakes don't work !!
scudderfish

posted on 4/4/09 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Also if you haven't driven a car without a brake servo before, you will be giving the pedal a surprising shove to get anything out of it.
ReMan

posted on 4/4/09 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
Also if you haven't driven a car without a brake servo before, you will be giving the pedal a surprising shove to get anything out of it.

Wot he said
Whole different game to your tin top

ell_bkr

posted on 4/4/09 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish

Yeah at first i thought I would just need to get used to them, but they also just seem to be missing any form of bite and sharpness. Think i'll try some new discs and pads and hope for an improvment.

Cheers

ell_bkr

posted on 4/4/09 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Anybody know if these are the type i need and if there any good?

Ebay Linky

And by the sounds of things Green Stuff pads are the ones to go with?

Cheers

speedyxjs

posted on 5/4/09 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the madhouse
Nice looking car btw

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

eznfrank

posted on 5/4/09 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ell_bkr
And by the sounds of things Green Stuff pads are the ones to go with?

Cheers

Green stuff are pretty good but on 7's standard stuff should do the trick no sweat due to the light weight.

In terms of the radiator for the cost of a new ally one I'd do that rather than mess about with radweld. Could pick up a nice lightweight ally Polo one for about £25 on the Bay.

[Edited on 5/4/09 by eznfrank]

bob tatt

posted on 5/4/09 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
welcome nice car where abouts in leeds you from ?
andrew.carwithen

posted on 5/4/09 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Just to reiterate what was said in a previous post re. rad.
I'm assuming you've got the original Tiger rad fitted? (notorious for springing leaks)
If it'll fit in the S6 nosecone, replace it with the much lighter polo ally rad.
They definitely fit in the Tiger Cat and Avon so reckon should fit the Six.
Have a look/search on main Tiger forum at http://www.tigerownersclub.co.uk for confirmation.

ell_bkr

posted on 5/4/09 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Andrew will definatly look into the polo rad.

I'm from North Leeds Bob, how about you? Do you know if there are there any regular meets organised in Leeds/west yorks? Would be nice to meet some people and have a nosey round other peoples cars. Cheers.

Jon Ison

posted on 5/4/09 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
On the brake front check out master cly size (maybe to large) and pedal ratio.

I changed the pedal ration on mine, similar problem, had to push the seat out the rear of the car to get it to stop, now I have very progressive superb brakes that will stop on a sixpence with little pedal effort.

Oh, welcome.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.