Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Turbo
Daimo_45

posted on 22/4/09 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Turbo

I managed to delete my post when trying to change the subject to something more relevant and catching; here it is again...sorry.

I haven't even saved enough for my MNR build yet but I've always been fascinated with turbochargers and had loads of spare time on my hands last night, so for no reason I started looking at bits and pieces to make a somewhat cost effective turbo kit.

My question are:
Why does nobody use the T3/T4 Turbocharger as it dead cheap, suited to 4 cylinders and can support half decent gains?

Link
Link

Why does nobody buy top mount intercoolers like from a Subaru and mount them flush with the bonnet with a cut-out? I've only ever seen 7 installs with the intercoolers in front of the radiator shrouding its airflow or right under the bonnet by the bulkhead, sucking up heat?

[Edited on 22/4/09 by Daimo_45]

Liam

posted on 22/4/09 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Who says nobody is using good old T3s and T4s? I'd have thought they are still very popular even though they've been superceded by the Garrett GT range.

Top mount intercoolers often suffer from heat rising from the engine reducing their effectiveness, unless a good airflow can be ducted through. Ducting air through a vertical front mounted intercooler is usually much easier than ducting air through a horizontal intercooler mounted right on top of an engine!

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
turboben

posted on 22/4/09 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
I use a t3 - thinking of changing to a Mitsubishi td05 as they are supposed to spool quicker and the turbines flow more than the t3. The t3 works well once its on song though.
Daimo_45

posted on 22/4/09 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Top mount intercoolers often suffer from heat rising from the engine reducing their effectiveness

I can see this on a subaru where the intercooler is pretty much on the engine but in a 7 isn't there a lot of space behind the engine (scuttle end) to mount it? I was also thinking about nose space too. Could also make a nice little fiberglass tray to enclose it too.

bassett

posted on 22/4/09 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
A warm engine bay versus the front gaping hole for forced air its an easy decision same reason the radiators there. Change in inlet temperatures vary the air density greatly which gives a bigger bang and more power. I guess new MNR nose cone with lower vents would be ideal to cool an intercooler and rad.

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

meany

posted on 22/4/09 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
just to set the story straight, the Subaru Impreza top mount intercooler is above the gearbox and not above the engine, true its not an ideal place as far as heat soak goes but it does have short induction pipe runs.

deezee

posted on 23/4/09 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
You could always use a chargecooler, if you don't have the space for an intercooler and all the ducting. You can normally grab one off a Celica GT4 for a couple of hundred (complete with hoses, pump and rad). Smaller and more efficient. But incur the weight cost.

I'd never buy an unbranded turbo. Its probably junk. I mean the advert gives no useful information about its flow. Just cos the housing its a T3 etc, doesn't mean the comp and turbine are any good. Its like a 2 litre engine. Sierra 2L Dohc and a Vauxhall C20XE.... both 2L but most certainly not equal.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.