Large Hadron Collider

Is fixed!

Linky

StevieB

posted on 3/5/09 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Yay - back to re-creating the Big Bang. That should burn the Swine Flu off
Daimo_45

posted on 3/5/09 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Get ready for the Christians moving the goalposts to accommodate the Big Bang once they've proved it happened.
smart51

posted on 3/5/09 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daimo_45
Get ready for the Christians moving the goalposts to accommodate the Big Bang once they've proved it happened.

I think its only narrow minded Americans who deny the big bang. Generally Christians accept the big bang theory, as much as Physicists do at least, Particularly those Christian Neuclear Physicists that work at CERN.

JoelP

posted on 3/5/09 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daimo_45

Christianity merely requires a creator, which i would suggest is a prerequisite of creation.

mr henderson

posted on 3/5/09 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
God created Man

almost correct

actually, it was

Man that created God

John

JoelP

posted on 3/5/09 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
i take it that Gods not on your christmas card list then john?!
mr henderson

posted on 3/5/09 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
i take it that Gods not on your christmas card list then john?!

I don't know where He lives, various different places according to his representatives

John

Liam

posted on 3/5/09 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
I can't see the LHC proving that the BB occured. Will do all sorts of fun stuff though!

And here is a handy website that allows you to check in realtime that everything is going OK, in case you're one of those who is concerned...

Clicky

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 3/5/09 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Woohoo - we can have another "end of the world" party

we did the last time they fired it up - ok, we just like a good excuse for a part, in fact any excuse for a party.

eccsmk

posted on 3/5/09 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
7 billion

Simon

posted on 4/5/09 at 01:10 AM Reply With Quote
Something that has always confused me is the size of the known universe - currently estimated at 156 billion l/y across, and the age of said universe - 13.7b years.

According to Einstein nothing travels faster than light (yes I know there's a get out when warping spacetime but....), yet it's expanded at nearly 12 times the speed of light.

Bizarre

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 4/5/09 by Simon]

JoelP

posted on 4/5/09 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Something that has always confused me is the size of the known universe - currently estimated at 156 billion l/y across, and the age of said universe - 13.7b years.

According to Einstein nothing travels faster than light (yes I know there's a get out when warping spacetime but....), yet it's expanded at nearly 12 times the speed of light.

Bizarre

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 4/5/09 by Simon]

There is a reason for that simon but i cant remember it now. Google it and you'll find an answer! One part was the speed of light being different in the early times, and also relativity between the two sides each leaving the centre at the speed of light. Theres more im sure!

Liam

posted on 4/5/09 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I can remember, it's to do with the fact that the expansion of the universe is not just stuff travelling outwards (at max the spped of light). Space itself is expanding making things more distant than their velocities would suggest. In other words even if all the 'stuff' wasn't moving at all, space itself would still be expanding and distances between the stuff would still be increasing. Something like that. Plus there's something called inflation in the current model - a sudden burst of rapid expansion early in the universe. This inflation and the normal expansion have no speed of light limit. And that's my understanding of how the universe can be much bigger than stuff moving outwards from a single point at the speed of light for the age of the universe suggests it should be. There are actual proper ways they know all this too, of course - i.e. it's not all 'just a theory' as Jon's Christian buddies might say .

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.