Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: busa H2
JoelP

posted on 8/5/09 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
busa H2

read on the DP website that John Hartley has made a busa engine with a flywheel, billet crank case, and a dry sump built in, to mate to a 'proper' gearbox. Quite an achievement!

Its under the 'etc' section, though the rest is worth reading if you have a few weeks spare!

StevieB

posted on 8/5/09 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
I'd seen that and thought it was a great idea at first.

The problem is that the weight advantage of a bike engine lis in the fact that the gearbox is small, light and integral to the engine. If you take that away and add in the flywheel etc. and strap on a type 9 gearbox, you might as well have just put a duratec in and tuned it a bit.

A1

posted on 8/5/09 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
also the sequentialness is awesome...and the bit first/2nd gear clunks
blakep82

posted on 9/5/09 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
well, you still get 18k revs or whatever, gearbox will be stronger, you could still have a sequential box, and you get proper reverse too.

sounds alright to me

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Daimo_45

posted on 9/5/09 at 01:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

well, you still get 18k revs or whatever, gearbox will be stronger, you could still have a sequential box, and you get proper reverse too. sounds alright to me

But for about 15 times the price of the aforementioned Duratec.

StevieB

posted on 9/5/09 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
well, you still get 18k revs or whatever, gearbox will be stronger, you could still have a sequential box, and you get proper reverse too.

sounds alright to me

There's nothing weak about bike gearboxes, it's just that you can't lean on them under engine beaking like you can with cars, which is where the concept of them being weak comes from. It;s not the gearbox that's the problem, it;s the driver who needs to learn a different way of driving is all.

PS - What's the betting that the sort of person who could afford to have this engine would then splash out on a 6 speed possibly sequential gearbox?

[Edited on 9/5/09 by StevieB]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.