Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT: Bike License
tomprescott

posted on 13/5/09 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
OT: Bike License

Howdy!
I know I'm going to get slated for asking a silly question...but....
Have the new motorcycle tests been put into effect yet?
If so, what does somebody (aka me) who is under 21 need to be able to ride a 400cc bike of approx 60bhp?

All information appreciated, I get so confused by the direct.gov wording, it's like yoda speaking legalese!

cd.thomson

posted on 13/5/09 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Tom, how old are you?

You'll have to take and pass a CBT, bike theory test and then a full test on a 125cc bike.

You'll then be able to ride a 400cc bike but only if it is restricted to 33bhp for the first 2 years - although word on the grapevine is that it would be very hard to ascertain if a bike had been restricted although if you're caught doing something really naughty and they do check it on a dyno etc then youd be in BIG trouble

Yes the new test is in effect and requires you to complete a few set pieces off the public roads at a test centre as well as the normal road driving you would expect.

ETA:- its expensive, maybe 500+ for all the testing/lessons, then youll need equipment (helmet etc) then the bike itself

[Edited on 13/5/09 by cd.thomson]

Craig

tomprescott

posted on 13/5/09 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Craig,
I'm 21 this september, bought a 400 bandit (didn't realise at the time but its a 1991 special edition with fairing -ooh!) Main reason is my house next year at uni is not going to be suitable for a car, its only 5 miles away from the uni but with traffic, a car takes over 30mins to do it and parking in that part of Bristol is a pig!

I'm planning on doing the test over the summer, I thought it was around that mark so at least thats not a major shock> Is there some sort of supplementary test you can take to go straight to bigger unrestricted bikes?

MikeRJ

posted on 13/5/09 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
For a 60bhp bike you need to take your Direct Access (DAS) test. If you take the standard test you are limited to 33bhp for two years.
tomprescott

posted on 13/5/09 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Mike, I think that what I'll do, especially if the cost of getting the bike restricted is similar to the cost of the DAS.

I'm not planning on going to fast, just filtering through traffic really but I'm quite a big guy so didn't want something tiny - I'm only planning on getting a helmet and a piar of gauntlets, do you think I should get a jacket too? Bearing in mind I'm a student (read: skint) and 90% of the time I'll be under 30mph.

dinosaurjuice

posted on 13/5/09 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
For a 60bhp bike you need to take your Direct Access (DAS) test. If you take the standard test you are limited to 33bhp for two years.

have to be over 21 for DAS i think.

cd.thomson

posted on 13/5/09 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomprescott
Cheers Craig,
I'm 21 this september, bought a 400 bandit (didn't realise at the time but its a 1991 special edition with fairing -ooh!) Main reason is my house next year at uni is not going to be suitable for a car, its only 5 miles away from the uni but with traffic, a car takes over 30mins to do it and parking in that part of Bristol is a pig!

I'm planning on doing the test over the summer, I thought it was around that mark so at least thats not a major shock> Is there some sort of supplementary test you can take to go straight to bigger unrestricted bikes?

I would advise waiting until september and taking your DAS. theyre the same price and you wont have to worry about restricting the bike

Craig

cd.thomson

posted on 13/5/09 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Cheers Mike, I think that what I'll do, especially if the cost of getting the bike restricted is similar to the cost of the DAS.

I'm not planning on going to fast, just filtering through traffic really but I'm quite a big guy so didn't want something tiny - I'm only planning on getting a helmet and a piar of gauntlets, do you think I should get a jacket too? Bearing in mind I'm a student (read: skint) and 90% of the time I'll be under 30mph.

You're not truely skint until youre a graduate!

You dont legally need one but it gets cold on a bike..

Craig

tomprescott

posted on 13/5/09 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Is the DAS an alternative to the regular licence then? As in, [CBT, theory and test] OR [CBT, theory, test and DAS]?

If thats the case I will wait until september, thanks for the help everybody.
Tom

RickRick

posted on 13/5/09 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
jacket and pants, saves lots and lots of skin if you do come off
cd.thomson

posted on 13/5/09 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Is the DAS an alternative to the regular licence then? As in, [CBT, theory and test] OR [CBT, theory, test and DAS]?

Tom

DAS is the complete alternative to the restricted (a2?) test. Its the same except you do it on a bike over 46hp rather than a piddle 125cc thing. Difference is you can only do it once youre 21.

Craig

andyd

posted on 13/5/09 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I'm not planning on going to fast

Nobody ever plans on it... well some don't! You will though, trust me.

quote:
do you think I should get a jacket too? ... and 90% of the time I'll be under 30mph.

Put it this way; run along (usual jogging pace is about 12mph), then throw yourself onto the pavement ensuring that the boney sticky out parts (elbows + knees mainly) either just bang on the ground or maybe slide along then see if you fancy being accidentally knocked off whilst filtering by some half-blind, half-asleep tw@t in his/her car whilst not wearing at least the basics in protective clothing.

Legal requirement is just a BS approved helmet but I'd go as far as to say that decent gloves and boots plus jacket and at least some amoured jeans is just common sense.

Ask around; you might know someone that has some used stuff they will part with cheaply or for nowt. Or get some from eBay.

People who ride in just shorts and t-shirt have obviously been very lucky enough to never have come a cropper else they'd know better.

Don't mean to rant though; just my opinion ATEOTD.

Andy

need4speed

posted on 13/5/09 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
I'd also suggest a jacket & trousers as I've seen the results of not having trousers on my lad and he was doing under 30. It's not nice.

Dave

NigeEss

posted on 13/5/09 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyd

Put it this way; run along (usual jogging pace is about 12mph), then throw yourself onto the pavement ensuring that the boney sticky out parts (elbows + knees mainly) either just bang on the ground or maybe slide along a bit

To expand on Andyd's comment and your 30mph note..............

Put your hand flat on the road, ask a 16st mate to stand on it with both feet and then quickly
pull your hand from under him.

That's roughly akin to hitting tarmac at 30mph.

Still thinking of just gloves and a lid

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

speed8

posted on 13/5/09 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
quote:

Tom

DAS is the complete alternative to the restricted (a2?) test. Its the same except you do it on a bike over 46hp rather than a piddle 125cc thing. Difference is you can only do it once youre 21.

Listen to the man....

If you do your restricted licence now it means you will be restricted for two years (not only till you are 21). Wait till September, do your DAS, ride whatever you want.

blakep82

posted on 13/5/09 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
i didn't think you could do the direct access thing any more? i thought that stopped about 2 years ago?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

cd.thomson

posted on 13/5/09 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
I think it only started two years ago..

you can definitely still do it.

Craig

tomprescott

posted on 13/5/09 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Right you are then, save up for clothing over the summer ready for my test in september. Thanks everyone, I've had no prior experience of bikes and as usual the LCB'ers have proven their worth. Muchos gracias!
Tom

Steve Hignett

posted on 13/5/09 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Tom,

What size are you () feet, chest, waist size etc?

DarrenW

posted on 14/5/09 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Direct access is still defo available - i was enquiring about bike licence this week at a rider training centre. I think the biggest change last month is tha you can no longer do it in a 5 day course. It was explained to me that you cannot apply for the module 2 test until you pass module 1. I have also been led to believe that you cant do the CBT (or is it start the DAS) until you have passed the hazard perception and theory test. i guess this basically means you have to take more time over it all which (coupled with the extra elements) means you should be better trained with more experience before being let loose on your own bike solo. Not sure how it works in practice though.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.