Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What Tools?
GrumpyOne

posted on 24/6/09 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
What Tools?

I need to buy some tools before my build starts in ernest, but which ones? I can't afford SnapOn so what would be the next best thing, I've looked at Teng, Britool and Draper, but what would you recommend?

Cheers
Colin

My wife is very understanding, she understands that if I am in the garage I am not in the house annoying her.

fesycresy

posted on 24/6/09 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Halfords.

Lifetime warranty and open on a Sunday when you break something.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

tegwin

posted on 24/6/09 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Get yourself to Halfords... look at their Proffesional range... the tools are pretty damn good and have a lifetime waranty..

Get a set of spanners, sockets, torque wrench and a couple of big hammers... and you should be ok... Then just buy the tools as and when you reqrie them from that point onwards

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

jack_t

posted on 24/6/09 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
i have this
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_177693_langId_-1_categoryId_165572,
well worth the money

eznfrank

posted on 24/6/09 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
ANother vote for Halfords, the warranty is pretty much a no quibble job, I've only broken one bit so far and just took it back and they exchanged it on the spot no questions asked.
Mr Whippy

posted on 24/6/09 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
as above, Halfords do very nice tools

you really don't need all that many spanners or sockets for a 7 as the sizes you'll use are 10, 13, 17 and 20mm so getting a huge set isn't necessary. If you need some special tool like an engine hoist, cylinder pressure gauge, ball joint breakers, colour tune, lazy riveter, pullers etc etc just let me know and you can simply borrow mine.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
balidey

posted on 24/6/09 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, I use a mixture, some halfords. Well made, decent price and as said, open late and at the weekends.

I also use some Teng, Facom, Britool, Sykes Pickavant. Keep trawling ebay for cheaper prices.

And I have a small collection of old tools. At car boot sales (and ebay) I have picked up old, second hand good quality tools, given them a clean and they have out performed the 'mistakes'** I have made.

** by mistakes I mean the cheap £1 items, they look nice and shiney, but are made from the shittest metal I've ever seen. My dad once told me you should never break a tool. Well the only ones I have were the cheap ones, which were then replaced by good quality ones for not much more money.

nick205

posted on 24/6/09 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Teng are a current fave of mine, but all those mentioned will get the job done without fuss.

Car boots can be a great source of good quality used tools, just avoid the cheap (Chinese) cr8p which WILL break and probably skin your knuckles when it does.

GrumpyOne

posted on 24/6/09 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
as above, Halfords do very nice tools

you really don't need all that many spanners or sockets for a 7 as the sizes you'll use are 10, 13, 17 and 20mm so getting a huge set isn't necessary. If you need some special tool like an engine hoist, cylinder pressure gauge, ball joint breakers, colour tune, lazy riveter, pullers etc etc just let me know and you can simply borrow mine.

Thanks Guys

Halfords it is, I have some tools already, engine hoist, spanners, ball breaker (she is called Brenda and I married her ) ball joint breaker etc. What I really need is a decent socket set.
I got the engine out the Scorpio yesterday but there is no way the diff and hubs are coming off without Gods help and super human strength.

So it's Halfords for a socket set, little one will do but I might get a big one, pullers for the hubs and a torx bit set for the CV joints, sorted

Thanks
Colin

My wife is very understanding, she understands that if I am in the garage I am not in the house annoying her.

omega0684

posted on 24/6/09 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
if you have a compressor invest in a air riveter
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 24/6/09 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
the CV joint bolts are very very tight, so tight that many just cut the heads off and replace them new ones. You'll need a very good tommy bar to remove the hub nuts. Do that before you remove it from the car, IIRC the passenger side one has a left hand thread

GrumpyOne

posted on 24/6/09 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
if you have a compressor invest in a air riveter

Working on a compressor and an air riveter, also a decent trolley jack, bought the one I have cheap and it has collapsed twice on me, now I use 4 axle stands and use the engine hoist to hold the front up just encase

Cheers
Colin

GrumpyOne

posted on 24/6/09 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
the CV joint bolts are very very tight, so tight that many just cut the heads off and replace them new ones. You'll need a very good tommy bar to remove the hub nuts. Do that before you remove it from the car, IIRC the passenger side one has a left hand thread

Don't know if Scorpio hubs are the same as Sierra's but I got the big nut in the middle off alright but the four bolts behind the hub holding the carrier on just wont budge, nearly killed myself yesterday trying to move them and I am no small person. Haven't tried the CV bolts yet, need to get a Torx bit first. Needs to be done for the weekend though.

Cheers
Colin

speedyxjs

posted on 24/6/09 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
I also have Halfrauds tools and have never had any probs (and they have had their fair share of abuse )
If you can get your hands on a trade card, you can also get an nice discount

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Agriv8

posted on 24/6/09 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
I would sugest 3/8 inch socket set over 1/2 inch.

I have both and will always grab the 3/8 over the 1/2 inch, the 1/2 inch only usually comes out with the 24 inch craking bar or *cough* end of the impact gun

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

flak monkey

posted on 24/6/09 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for halfords pro stuff, pretty well made, probably equal to Teng in quality.

The rest of my kit is Britool and Teng.

Also buy yourself a decent hacksaw frame and blades (nothing but Eclipse in my book) and some good files. Makes those fabrication jobs so much easier than struggling with cheap stuff.

I would go for a 3/8" and 1/2" socket set. Also make sure you get some 6 point sockets as well as some 12 point. Much better for those really tight bolts as you are less likely to round them off.

You'll also want a 4.5" (115mm) angry grinder, get a decent one with plenty of grunt and a pack of 1mm cutting discs.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/6/09 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyOne
quote:

Don't know if Scorpio hubs are the same as Sierra's but I got the big nut in the middle off alright but the four bolts behind the hub holding the carrier on just wont budge, nearly killed myself yesterday trying to move them and I am no small person. Haven't tried the CV bolts yet, need to get a Torx bit first. Needs to be done for the weekend though.

Cheers
Colin

The Scorpio and sierra use the same rear suspension components; only difference is the number of wheel studs. The bolts for the carrier are made of good steel and have the threads sealed with blue compound so shouldn't be rusty. I'd use a socket with a hexagonal slot to drive them or you’ll round the edges of the bolt. I'd recommend using a puller to remove the hub flange first as that’s quite tight too, then remove the carrier. Its good you got the hub nuts off, mine where really tight and quite difficult as they weren’t on a car at the time.

thunderace

posted on 24/6/09 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
i think halfords are great i had snapon and sold the lot and got loads of halfords tools around £3k worth ,

NOW FIND SOMEONE WITH A TRADE CARD TO GET A DISCOUNT DONT PAY FULL PRICE FOR THEM.

NOW FIND SOMEONE WITH A TRADE CARD TO GET A DISCOUNT DONT PAY FULL PRICE FOR THEM.

did you get that

balidey

posted on 24/6/09 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Just realised, I probably own at least one thing from every major tool maker, apart from Snap-on. None of my tools match one another. Nothing has broken or worn.

Yet some people I know with the Snap-on kit often tell me how good it is because its got a lifetime guarantee, and if it breaks they will replace it for free. Quite a few mates have had to do this.

Three things...
1, I don't want my tools to break, so don't make a big deal about that in your sales pitch
2, Most tool makers will replace broken items anyway, so snap-on does not have the monopoly on that anyway.
3, You are paying more for snap-on, not for the quality, you are actually paying for the future replacements you may be getting 'for free' when you break them.

I think thats part of the reason I have never bothered with them.

coozer

posted on 24/6/09 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Second the Halfords trade card, since I got mine I've saved a fortune!

[Edited on 24/6/09 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

suparuss

posted on 24/6/09 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
i agree, air riveter is an absolute must. worth it just for the noise they make, which is why the underside of my car looks like a world war 2 bomber!
clunk-pshhhhh clunk-pshhhhh clunk-pshhhh

wilkingj

posted on 24/6/09 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Half-Fords

3/8" set is used most, aslo good for geting in small places.

As for the Hub Nuts... Look in my Archive for the tight nuts Pic. This worked well, even when the hub was off the car.

Get a short length of scaffold pole, its very very useful for all sorts of jobs.
Dont get the cheap halfords tool chest (on wheels) its not that good. Invest ins a better quality item, and with roller bearing drawers.

When buying 1/2" sockets, buy impact ones. Even if you dont have an impact gun, they are hex sided and rounf the nuts less, and are VERY strong.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

Humbug

posted on 24/6/09 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Stuff I have got and have used a lot:

Hilka socket set (metric + imperial) that I have had for over 25 years (haven't seen the brand recently, but I just googled and there is a UK web site).

Halfords professional metric spanner set - C spanner at one end, swivel ratchet head at the other. Goes from 8mm to 19mm - some of them I don't use that often, but I've used all of them at one time or another. Great quality and I got my set on a special offer

Halfords 1/4" socket set - something like 4mm to 12mm plus imperial equivalents and I found a 13mm socket which I keep in there as well). Very useful for smaller nuts that don't have to be massively torqued up.

Mole grips

Hammers

Angry grinder

Plus odds and sods that I have picked up from time to time.

Humbug

posted on 24/6/09 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Just looked what qualifies you to get a Halfords trade card... the usual suspects of qualifications, job etc. but also "High Volume Parts Buyer (or frequent user of car parts) or High volume of local motor factor invoices from last 3 months". So, if you buy some stuff you might be able to blag a card before buying all the tools?
GrumpyOne

posted on 24/6/09 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
The Scorpio and sierra use the same rear suspension components; only difference is the number of wheel studs. The bolts for the carrier are made of good steel and have the threads sealed with blue compound so shouldn't be rusty. I'd use a socket with a hexagonal slot to drive them or you’ll round the edges of the bolt. I'd recommend using a puller to remove the hub flange first as that’s quite tight too, then remove the carrier. Its good you got the hub nuts off, mine where really tight and quite difficult as they weren’t on a car at the time.

I bought a breaker bar and a 41mm socket for the hub nuts and when I went to do them yesterday the nuts were nowhere near 41mm. I used a 18 inch adjustable spanner in the end and they came off without any effort at all. You have me worried now that I have done the wrong thing or have still to do that part? And of course I have the shell of a Scorpio 80" up my driveway with no wheels on it, should be fun to get rid of.
The Scorpio from 1995 uses a four stud wheel pattern same as the Sierra, I think.

I feel the first meeting of the Portlethen Hicost car club coming on, of which you are the duly elected chairperson because you know what you are talking about

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.