Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Headlights- HID's?
Rik178m@hotmail.com

posted on 15/8/09 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Headlights- HID's?

Anyone using Hid's? When I get to the stage of putting lights on I'd like something nice and bright. Country road driving at night. Will they fit?
prawnabie

posted on 15/8/09 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
This is a can of worms of people say you will fail MOT, be pulled etc...

The law is that if fitted to a production car, they have to be self adjusting and have a washer system.

You might get away with it on a corsa etc if they are properly adjusted, but on a 7 type car I think you are asking for trouble!

blakep82

posted on 15/8/09 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
its a lot of work to make them legal. you can proobably find a complete kit if you look hard enough, but they MUST be self leveling, and have a washer system. not sure if there's anything else they need

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Rik178m@hotmail.com

posted on 15/8/09 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
ahhhh never mind. Hope some bright bulbs will be ok then. Thanks for the quick replies
blakep82

posted on 15/8/09 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
some sort of fog light affair might be better? BMW headlights are hopeless, and some folk on here will want me shot for this, but on the country lanes i drive with them on, they make it a lot easier to see, but still aim pretty low.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Danozeman

posted on 15/8/09 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

BMW headlights are hopeless, and some folk on here will want me shot for this, but on the country lanes i drive with them on, they make it a lot easier to see, but still aim pretty low.

I can vouch for that. My 5 series headlights are shite. I dont know what the main beam bulbs the bloke put in them before me but theyr bloody bright!!

As for the 7. My 7 inches with standard bulbs in are lovely in the dark. Never used main beam.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

minitici

posted on 15/8/09 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
From IVA Manual:
Note 3: Where vehicles are fitted with Gas Discharge
Headlamps, the requirement for automatic headlamp self-
levelling system or self-levelling suspension shall be
deemed to be complied with where evidence is provided
that the vehicle meets the requirements of 6.1.2..6.2 of ECE
Regulation 48.03

Gas Discharge Headlamps
9. Must be compliant with all of the following
• is "E" or "e" marked
• dipped beam remains on when main beam is on
• is fitted with a wash system (see note 2)
• is fitted with an automatic headlamp self levelling system or self levelling
suspension

edspurrier

posted on 15/8/09 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted SVC lights with H4 bulbs and use the halfords 80% brighter jobs. They're very good indeed.
Guinness

posted on 15/8/09 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
I have a big set of 7" headlights on mine. They are brilliant at night compared to almost any tin top.

Mike

Ninehigh

posted on 16/8/09 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edspurrier
I fitted SVC lights with H4 bulbs and use the halfords 80% brighter jobs. They're very good indeed.

Personally I found them to make no difference whatsoever, but Halfords do one maked "Rally" they're about a tenner cheaper than all the others (about £2.50 each last time I saw them) and they claim to be about 120% brighter iirc. But I didn't say anything cos it says on the box "not for road use" not that any of us noticed it!

Had a 3.5 million candlepower torch at one point, really wanted to get a pair of THOSE bulbs to fit into foglights, it was like summer in your hand!

britishtrident

posted on 16/8/09 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Second the vote for Halfords bulbs I fitted Halfords high brightness H7 bulbs on the Rover, the difference it made is amazing very clear white light but they are 100% street legal and the same electrical wattage as the bulbs they replaced.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 16/8/09 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
some sort of fog light affair might be better? BMW headlights are hopeless, and some folk on here will want me shot for this, but on the country lanes i drive with them on, they make it a lot easier to see, but still aim pretty low.

If fog lights actually help something is really far wrong with your head lights. Normally fog lights make sweet f.a. contribution to useful illumination and because they are set with a level beam they do do cause bad dazzle to other users on undulating surfaces, hump back bridges and the like.

When did you last change the head lamp bulbs ? --- they are probably badly discoloured with age or are eastern european 35watt jobs.
Fit a set of the Halfords high brightness white jobs -- they are truly amazing considering the wattage is the same.

[Edited on 16/8/09 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

David Jenkins

posted on 16/8/09 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
I have a big set of 7" headlights on mine. They are brilliant at night compared to almost any tin top.

Mike

Me too - my Yaris headlights are pretty good, but the 7" ones on the Locost throw much more light, and in a better pattern. Full beam is impressive. They were only cheap headlight units using bog-standard H4 bulbs.

James

posted on 16/8/09 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Gotta agree with you and Danozeman on this about the 7".

Have 7" on mine, with just the standard supplied bulbs. Couldn't believe the difference over my Golf!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

flak monkey

posted on 18/8/09 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
My Leon has been fitted with HIDs. No self levelling or washers as they are after market fitment.

Its been through 2 MOT's with them. Apparently for the MOT it doesnt matter as long as the beam pattern and colour is correct (i.e yellow or white - not blue!).

My mini had proper xenon HIDs with self levelling and washers and they were brilliant.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Ninehigh

posted on 18/8/09 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
You probably got through those MOTs because the guy didn't know...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.