Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: which bike engines do people want?
colibriman

posted on 19/4/04 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
which bike engines do people want?

Are there any other engines that would be of interest to anybody? it would be good to hear what other people would like - is it older/cheaper or newer/dearer engines that would be of interest...

erm...but not newer /cheaper...afraid that dont work

cheers
colin

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 19/4/04 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Do you mean stuff like cbr1000, zzr1100 and zx10 sort of stuff. I'm building a chassis now for my next project and would like something older and cheaper that doesn't need a catalyst. I'm not ready for one yet as I don't want it hanging round the shed getting full of grinding dust but it will not be too far off.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JoelP

posted on 19/4/04 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
when i look on ebay, i see loads of cheap older engines but they are rarely sold running, and often with no carbs/wiring etc, sometimes no gearbox even. Stuff like suzuki's etc.

Having said that, i will probably just get an R1 one day. Soon.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

colibriman

posted on 19/4/04 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
pete,
yes was thinking of the ones you have said and the likes of the fzr 1000,triumph triple,etc.....

just curious as to whether people would rather have lower initial outlay to get started and have older heavier engines that have possibly higher mileages or stick with the newer dearer options

joel,
as you say ebay isnt dependable for complete engines..you may have to take your chance on waiting for the bits to complete a engine setup......worth a look though if your patient

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zilspeed

posted on 19/4/04 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Bike engines

I would personally be attracted to something slightly lower tech but bigger cubes - the FJ1200 lump does sterling service in legends racers for example. The CBR1000 also has a good reputation in the Sylva striker. They are still all in one with the sequential box and zero flywheel effect.
What did you have in mind ?

Peteff

posted on 19/4/04 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
I missed out on a complete bike, 'H' cbr 1000 a few months ago. £400 and running, no t&t but what the hell did I need that for. I reckon I could have got some money back on bits after stripping it but somebody beat me to it. Part ex at the local bike shop, he wasn't bothered about fixing it sold it runner or spares. I ummed and ahhed cos I don't need it yet and I kicked myself after.

[Edited on 19/4/04 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

colibriman

posted on 20/4/04 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
zil,
yes,the fj1200 is another example of an older one that could be a good torquey motor for a kit and got at a decent price

the most common ones for cheaper money i have come across but i havent taken are the cbr1000 and gsxr1100

pete,
thats sods law innit....had the same thing myself with an fzr1000 exup...dithered and missed out.

phelpsa

posted on 20/4/04 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Just warning the people who might be tempted to go with the gsxr1100, you will have to convert the clutch to cable to let the propshaft adaptor fit.

Adam

P.S. Colibriman, you wouldn't happen to have a suzuki cable clutch mechanism hanging around anywhere would you (off a sv650/1000, TL1000s etc).

colibriman

posted on 20/4/04 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
hi adam,

afraid i can be no help with the cable..i'll keep my eyes open though

any other hassles with the gsxr1100 engine? i've heard from sidecar racing fella's that they are a very strong engine -last well even when abused

cheers
colin

Trev Borg

posted on 20/4/04 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
ST1100 Pan Euro is a nice cheap lump, waiting to pick up 1994 crashed bike for £400

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.

By that time, who cares.

You're a mile away, and you've got his shoes

colibriman

posted on 20/4/04 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
thats an ideal buy.....get all u need and sell what you dont....
Ian Pearson

posted on 21/4/04 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Not content with finishing what's in the garage, I've been planning way ahead with the idea of using a 3SGE I have. I've also been thinking of the "NEXT" project; using the engine off my CBR 1000 FL, but the trouble is it's in too good a condition to scrap. The Pan Euro sounds like a good one.
spunky

posted on 21/4/04 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Hi all,
I too am toying with future projects.
have any of you come across the use of the old GSX oil/air cooled engine. I'm thinking, strong, tunable and no hassles with plumbing

John

phelpsa

posted on 21/4/04 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
I am using the GSXR 1100 air/oil cooled engine. You would need a big oil cooler if you are using it for the road and note my earlier post, which is the same for the bandit and gsx 1400 I expect as they are all the same engine just in different sizes.

Adam

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.