Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help Needed: Rover 220d Turbo Diesel not starting
Steve Hignett

posted on 8/1/10 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
Help Needed: Rover 220d Turbo Diesel not starting

Hi All,

The wife's Rover is a bit of a POS, and we are just not in a financial position to replace it...

There are a few things wrong with it, but for now I just need help with the non starting issue.

On Monday after Xmas, it wouldn't start but hadn't been used in a few days. Now this morning it's not started again, and I really ought to do something about it... I don't know much about cars in general, so a Rover Diesel, which I've never worked on is a bit of a mystery to me.

So any ideas?
I've relaced the battery and heater plugs last winter (3 plugs replaced, couldn't get to 4th) and changed the oil and filter this year. That's all I've done engine wise...

TIA
Steve

welderman

posted on 8/1/10 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
sorry mate but not a clue either, but is there fuel in it ?

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

Steve Hignett

posted on 8/1/10 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, and tried it without pressing and with a couple presses of the pedal...

I'm not sure, but in this weather, is it possible that the glowplugs aren't performing well enough?

britishtrident

posted on 8/1/10 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
First thing to try is not use the glow plugs but give a spray of EasyStart down the air intake.

However it is more than possible the diesel filler is waxed up --

Steve Hignett

posted on 8/1/10 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks BT

Where do I locate the diesel filler, and is it possible to un-wax, with heat or warm water etc?
On the one occasion I tried it after a couple of pedal presses, it did chuff out a bit of diesel smoke/fumes out the back

I don't have any easy start so will get some today. Years ago, we used to use ES on a truck and it got addicted to it, will using it in this cold weather only, then hope it will be ok when it's not as cold?

zilspeed

posted on 8/1/10 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
A quick google of the waxing temp of winter diesel seems to have it at around -15 degrees C.

We're perilously close to that now and I imagine there will be lots of drivers out there who have never even heard of the concept. (Not yourself of course.)

Jubal

posted on 8/1/10 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
He probably means the filter. Or the pump. There was an article somewhere:

Diesel powered vehicles may suffer problems in low temperatures. Normal diesel fuel will cloud at 0 degrees centigrade, it will form a gel at around -10 and turn to wax at around -35. For bio diesels these temperatures will be less. This can result in vehicles not starting or wax crystals blocking fuel lines and pumps. Diesel flow additives can be bought from most automotive stores to counteract this.

Some people put a heater in the engine bay overnight or get hairdryers on the job. I have been putting mine on a conditioner to make sure the battery is tip top and still the only way to start it is to turn the key till the glow plug light comes on, wait for it to go out, switch off the ignition and do the same again several times before attempting to start. (160k 52 plate BMW 320d).

Jubal

posted on 8/1/10 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
A quick google of the waxing temp of winter diesel seems to have it at around -15 degrees C.

We're perilously close to that now and I imagine there will be lots of drivers out there who have never even heard of the concept. (Not yourself of course.)

It was -18 degrees here last night I live only a few miles from Steve.

coozer

posted on 8/1/10 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
My Rover 45 has refused this morning Flattened the battery trying to start it. I reckon it is the temp as its -8 atm and was -10 during the night.

Need to get all the poo out of the garage and get it in there! Obviously too late now

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

skinned knuckles

posted on 8/1/10 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
i used to wrap an electric blanket round the perkins engine in my old landy when it got really cold. had it set on a timer to come on a couple of hours before start. worked really well till i foget it was there one morning and drove off

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

coozer

posted on 8/1/10 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Just been out and connected the Halfords power boost thing and it wizzed over and started no problem... off to the dole to sign on...

Leaving it on the charger a while to keep the battery in peak condition.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Canada EH!

posted on 8/1/10 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
I suggest diesel fuel conditioner, goes in the fuel, keeps it from gelling, also all diesels here have block heaters and are plugged into electrical outlets when the temp goes below 30F.
The factories here have plugs for the employees to plug their cars in while working.
The temp outside right now is 13C, we regularly see -20-30C over night. The petrol cars get plugged in after-10C.

So I guess we are already using electric cars.

rusty nuts

posted on 8/1/10 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
First thing to check is that the glow plugs are actually getting power to them . It may be that in the temperatures that we are getting at the moment giving it 2 pre heat cycles before you crank it over may help , my old Citroen needed 2 cycles to start in cold weather. If that doesn't help check the fuel in the fuel filter hasn't waxed , check the cam is turning ( broken cam belt due to a frozen water pump?) try priming the fuel system ,then perhaps try another set of glow plugs . Not a great fan of using Easistart a squirt of brake cleaner works just as well and diesels don't seem to get addicted to it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.