Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: wireless printer?
02GF74

posted on 14/1/10 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
wireless printer?

just purchased wireless printer: epson sx515w

i thought I could connect wirelessly from my dell laptop with no additional hardware ..... but it seems I need to have a wireless network/hub or whatever it is called - correct?

in other words: lappy talks to hub;
printer talks to hub

and
lappy does not talk directly to printer.

GMPMotorsport

posted on 14/1/10 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I am no computer whizz but I have a Dell laptop & a Cannon printer that I use via bluetooth and this works fine.

www.gmpdevelopments.co.uk
www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk
ARDS Instructer.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
prawnabie

posted on 14/1/10 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
can you not set up an ad hoc network instead of infrastructure? My espon lets me choose so pretty sure yours would.

[Edited on 14/1/10 by prawnabie]

Jubal

posted on 14/1/10 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't your internet router do wireless?
James

posted on 14/1/10 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
just purchased wireless printer: epson sx515w

i thought I could connect wirelessly from my dell laptop with no additional hardware ..... but it seems I need to have a wireless network/hub or whatever it is called - correct?

in other words: lappy talks to hub;
printer talks to hub

and
lappy does not talk directly to printer.

Absoloutely.

You need a wireless hub/router to actually 'route' the network traffic.

For most people this is their broadband router but it doesn't have to be. You can go and buy a wireless hub.

BTW, that printer is a chuffing bargain at that price! (assuming you got the 60-70quid ish price it's at in PCWorld).

Cheers,

James

EDIT: I hadn't read what Prawnabie had said when I typed that. His suggestion may be possible.

[Edited on 14/1/10 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

02GF74

posted on 14/1/10 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
can you not set up an ad hoc network instead of infrastructure? My espon lets me choose so pretty sure yours would.

yeah, the ad hoc seems to be direct from lappy to printer but when I did the set up, it was asking for SSID (I don't have a network so what to enter?)

??

locostbuyer83

posted on 14/1/10 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
do you not use a router?
you just need a device to get both devices on the same network and give both devices an IP address.

locostbuyer83

posted on 14/1/10 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie

yeah, the ad hoc seems to be direct from lappy to printer but when I did the set up, it was asking for SSID (I don't have a network so what to enter?)

??

The SSID is the wireless network name. if your using a cable you wont need to use that. just give the printer a static IP address and add it to the PC using that address.

02GF74

posted on 14/1/10 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
if i am using a cable, then that is not wireless is it???

so i do need some third piece of hardware as i stated in first post; damn

bob

posted on 14/1/10 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
I've got the epson sx515w and yes you need a cable to set up, i thought it strange but if you follow the instructions to the letter all will become clear.

Regarding SSID as siad put in your wireless network name as used on your router that feeds the laptop.

02GF74

posted on 15/1/10 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
^^^ yeah, it is simples as you say but I don't have wireless network nor router.

a reply to my post on dell website says that the lappy can be set up to create an ad hoc network .... googling it right now.

locostbuyer83

posted on 15/1/10 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
If you dont have a router or device to link the two then you will need to USE A CROSS OVER NETWORK CABLE and give each device a static IP address.

Give your PC the IP address:

Give the printer:
Local Gateway: 192.168.0.1

then add a new local printer printer, use a TCP/IP port and enter the address 192.168.0.2

MikeRJ

posted on 15/1/10 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
SSID isn't important as long as it's the same at both ends, it's simply an identifier for your wireless network. "02GF74" would be fine

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.