Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bleeding Brakes
Wells

posted on 31/1/10 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Bleeding Brakes

Iam having a nightmare trying to bleed my brakes! Ever since I replaced my rear calipers I have never been able to get a firm pedal like I had before. Does any body have any ideas I could try?
austin man

posted on 31/1/10 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
are you using sierra rear disscs and callipers ?? if so I think you have to tilt the calliper backwards when bleeding, something to do with the bleed nipple being too low, MK indy's have this problem when disc's ar fitted

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Wells

posted on 31/1/10 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh it sierra rear discs and calipers. I have tryed this but still no joy. I dont know whats going on!
blakep82

posted on 31/1/10 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
hmm, which way up should they be? got a feeling mine might be on the wrong way

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Wells

posted on 31/1/10 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
What do you mean when you say the wrong way?
jack_t

posted on 31/1/10 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
you might have the same problem as i did on my indy
what you have to do it unbolt the caliper and take the disc of and turn the caliper upside down so the bleed nipple is totally vertical pointing upwards
remember to put the disc between the pads when the caliper is in this position and you are bleeding as if you dont u will have to rewind the caliper
next time i am home i am going to make a picture tutorial to deal with this occurrent problem

blakep82

posted on 31/1/10 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
well, i've got mine on a atlas axle. i think mine are on the wrong sides, and by the looks of things, on a sierra they were mounted at the top of the 'axle' mine are mounted to the rear, with the handbrake cable entering from underneath

think you might need to hold them this way to get them to bleed properly

heres how mine are
Description
Description

[Edited on 31/1/10 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

speed8

posted on 1/2/10 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
Are you using an EZ Bleed? I only ask as I had real trouble doing it this way and ended up getting my missus working the pedal whilst I bled it the old fashioned way. It worked a treat like this and pedal is solid.
cd.thomson

posted on 1/2/10 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
hi blake, no i think you've got it right.

you want the bleed nipples at the top, otherwise you'll end up with a pocket of air in the top of the caliper.

Craig

blakep82

posted on 1/2/10 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
hi blake, no i think you've got it right.

you want the bleed nipples at the top, otherwise you'll end up with a pocket of air in the top of the caliper.

if you look at the way they are on the sierra though, the pipe comes in below the bleed screw. i've got mine both level. will just need moving around when i come to bleed them, thats all

antonio

posted on 1/2/10 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
pretty sure you have the same i had prior i dicovered my front callipers were not square to the disk (thank you british trident)
callipers were too flixible, and drain back cause a spongy pedal.
i had to shimed/"grind", my calliper mounts to get them right.
ally bulkhead on MNR are very bad IMHO as the are way too flexible.i also welded a steel plate where master cylinders are fixed.my english sucks, so here is what british trident advise me to do, i should be easy to understand in his words:
You really have to make 100% sure the caliper is presenting the pad parallel to the disk in in all axes if not you will get lost motion at the pedal. It takes only a tiny amount of movement at the caliper to result in excessive pedal movement.

After market calipers are very bad for this because they do not mount straight on to the standard brackets, longer multi piston calipers make the effect much worse.
If the caliper is to true to the disk every time the pedal is pressed the caliper bracket has to bend elastically (ie it acts as a spring) when the pedal is released the fluid is slowly forced back to the master cylinder.

Because of very clever design of the main rubber hydraulic seals in caliper the It takes a lot of pressure difference to push back the pistons in a caliper, the difference in pressure of having the calipers 100mm or so higher than the fluid level in the resevoir isn't anywhere near enough to over come the static friction.
the seals is the caliper are designed to have a friction characteristic.

If you get lost motion on the first pump of a disk brake system if the mater cylinder is OK it it is a sure sign some mechanical component is flexing.

(1) Check all the pistons in the caliper are moving freely.
(2) Check the caliper body is set a square as humanly possible to the brake disk.
(3) Check for flexing of the caliper body under pressure using a dial gauge --- some alloy multi pot "racing" calipers are no where near rigid enough.
(4) Check the pedal box and its mountings for flexing using a dial gauge.

[Edited on 1/2/10 by antonio]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.