Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: De dion V Sierra donor
iwbunting

posted on 6/5/04 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
De dion V Sierra donor

I have just read some past threads about Robin hoods use of the Sierra rear tube/arm assembly.Would i be correct in assuming that a de dion will handle better than the Sierra all-in-one unit.

If de dion is the way to go,does anyone have any drawings.

All ideas on this are eagerly awaited.

James

posted on 6/5/04 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
The De Dion system is way better than the massively heavy trailing arm backend of a Sierra.

I have no drawings but check out the GTS Tuning site:

http://www.gtstuning.co.uk

They sell a really nice De Dion kit that I believe includes all the bits you need for the backend of your car (apart from a Sierra diff that is!!! )

Hope that helps,

James

P.S. No connection to GTS.

britishtrident

posted on 7/5/04 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
James is right it is no contest de Dion wins every time
MikeRJ

posted on 7/5/04 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
Does anyone know what exactly comes with the GTS De Dion kit? The website dosen't provide much detail.

How hard would it be to widen this for a +4 inch chassis?

flak monkey

posted on 7/5/04 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
I assume you mean the de dion axle kit not the whole car!....You get the de dion tube (includes brackets for drum/disk brakes), the four trailing arms and the panhard rod.

I believe people have asked about widening it before...i cant remember the answer though! But i think it was a case of ask them nicely and they might make you one...

Cheers,
David

[Edited on 7/5/04 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

James

posted on 7/5/04 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Does anyone know what exactly comes with the GTS De Dion kit? The website dosen't provide much detail.

How hard would it be to widen this for a +4 inch chassis?

Have a look in the GTS section- I'm pretty sure it includes trailing arms, panhard rod, the De Dion tube and the PU bushes/inserts ie. all you need for a back end where you know the geometry is right!

EDIT: As far as +4" goes there's someone who's done this: was it Mackie/Blueshift? I'm pretty sure Darren gave them instructions on how to +4" it.

James

[Edited on 7/5/04 by James]

ned

posted on 7/5/04 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
I've bought all the bits i need for my rear end off Darren, dedion tube, panhard rod, rod end, bushes, crush tubes, bolts, dif mounts and a couple of other bits, track rod ends and it all came to about £200 as a guide.

a dedion tube is vastly lighter and probably more accurate geometry wise htan the sierra beam/arm arrangement if you were to tr yand reuse it.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 7/5/04 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
if you do use the sierra back end, it weighs much much more - you can barely lift it even with no wheels on. Plus, you need to install it at the correct angle to get the back camber right. i have what appears to be 5-10 degrees of rear camber. good for donuts maybe, crap for handling.

strongly reccommend getting a dedion.

MikeRJ

posted on 7/5/04 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
My +4" chassis currently has the IRS from a Tiger Avon welded to the rear by it's previous owner. However, I'm going to have to remake all the wishbones anyway, and the chassis was originaly built for a beam axle so this really sounds like an ideal solution.
mackie

posted on 7/5/04 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
We are indeed planning on putting a GTS kit into our +4 but we aint done it yet.
Darren was going to talk to the guy who makes em and see if he can rejig it for +4. Not sure what came of it though, I'll ask blueshift.

blueshift

posted on 7/5/04 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Darrren said to email him and remind him to ask his fabrication guy if he'd be prepared to change the jig to make +4" dedion tubes. I haven't got around to it yet.

He did say though that if he wasn't prepared to to that, they should be able to sell us the tube welded up with hub carriers, and the suspension bracket parts separately so we can weld them on ourselves.

That wouldn't be too bad I recon, the tube would be welded professionally and with correct geometry, which is the important bit.

Darren also mentioned that they make the tube with parallel geometry and if you want some camber and toe, you put it in with shims between the hub carrier and tube. Just FYI.

I need to take the exact measurements off our CAD model at home and email darren.. mackie, remind me sweetie?

mackie

posted on 7/5/04 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Ok hon.
craig1410

posted on 8/5/04 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Whilst I totally agree that the GTS kit is the way to go, I do have some DIY drawings on my website for the de-dion axle which I myself built. It uses the same sierra bits as the GTS kit.

Of particular interest (maybe...) is the way that I have accommodated a standard book width de-dion axle into a +4" chassis. I think Darren had some concerns that the GTS de-dion kit may have clearance issues if widened to +4" so you may want to consider fitting it in the same way that I have done. Think it through carefully though because there are a few implications of this redesign. Nothing major so far though. Hopefully the GTS axle can be widened to suit the +4" chassis as this will be the best solution.

Cheers,
Craig.

billy

posted on 10/5/04 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
de dion

well lads just remember that the panhard rod may hit the chassie. if it dos you will need to use a rose joint to give you more clearance. i had to.....

luego-lo-cost finished,vauxhall 16v 2.0,twin 45s de-dion rear set up

Rob Allison

posted on 11/5/04 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
I have CAD drawings for the setup craig has if anyone is after them let me know.

Craig if you want to put them on your web site i'll pass them on to you.

mangogroove

posted on 11/5/04 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billy
well lads just remember that the panhard rod may hit the chassie. if it dos you will need to use a rose joint to give you more clearance. i had to.....

The other problem is that the petrol tank has to be slightly narrower than stock GTS tank fits great

Mr G

posted on 11/5/04 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
We used the stock tank but mounted it higher on an extra welded in bar so that it was out the way of the new location and movement of the panhard rod.

G

dozracing

posted on 12/5/04 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
A GTS de dion won't hit a GTS chassis rod end or no rod end.

GTS fuel tank is slightly narrower but also uses different mount arrangement to get over having to use ugly straps.

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.