Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DSG Boxes... Anyone Know Much About Them?
scootz

posted on 20/4/10 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
DSG Boxes... Anyone Know Much About Them?

I'm guessing that DSG (and other manufacturers variants) have their own ECU's to tell them when to shift whilst in automatic mode. I'm also guessing that these talk to the main ECU(s).

What I'm wondering is... could you take a VAG engine with the 2wd DSG transaxle-type gearbox and run it in a kit-car application?

Are there any gearbox-guru's out there?

It's Evolution Baby!

brianthemagical

posted on 20/4/10 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
I'd imagine it'd be integrated within the engine loom, or at least have some form or conection, maybe CANBUS. It'd need to now the throttl inputs and rpm at the very least.
Not sure if there's any aftermarket gizmos that'd help.

tegwin

posted on 20/4/10 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Being relativley new tech I would imagine there are few aftermarket ECUs that can cope...

Could you use the donor loom+ECU + pedals etc?

Should be possible to get the OEM ECU re-mapped and have the security removed if needs be...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

hobbsy

posted on 20/4/10 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
There is a certain crazy Dutch guy I know who I think has finished fitting one of these in his VAG 1.8T turbo powered GTM Libra.

Should see it in a couple of months - should be interesting...

Davey D

posted on 20/4/10 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
I know they are v expensive to fix when they break. My mate has an audi A3 with DSG, it broke not long after the warranty ran out. Cost around £1500 to fix
scootz

posted on 20/4/10 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon any OEM gearbox will be expensive to fix if using a main-stealer, but yes, I know what you mean!!!

Keep us posted Hobbsy... would be quite an interesting one.

Other thoughts were BMW engine to SMGII box... think it's a electro/hydraulic jobby!

It's Evolution Baby!

Russell

posted on 20/4/10 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
The answer has got to be YES. The gearbox must still be fundamentally mechanical but with electric control. I would think the gear shift actuators will be solenoids (or solenoid controlled valves) and if so it's theoretically possible to make your own bolt-on control box.

I'm not thinking of something that interfaces to the multitude of sensors and decides when to change gear for you, I'm visualising manual up/down control buttons on the steering wheel or flappy paddles. Some intelligence would be needed in the control box to pre-select the next gear.

It's an intriguing thought and one that deserves further investigation.

I'm a bilingual illiterate. I can't read in two languages.

Bertram

posted on 22/4/10 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Are there any gearbox-guru's out there?

Well, I have had a good look at them. I am the person mentioned in this thread with the GTM Libra. I am in the process of putting a DSG in my car.

It is at least not easy, and I have not proven that it will work at all. Communication between the box, engine, flappy paddles and gear stick are all via CAN bus. The ECU of the box is integrated in the box; there is no way of controlling the various solenoids in any other way then to use the ECU of the box.

To shift gear the ECU of the box uses a multitude of parameter values, either measured values (oil temp, gear positions, various RPM's) or values from the outside world fed in via CAM.

The Audi Self Study programs 308 and 386 are an interesting read for those interested in the DSG technology

Bye,

Bertram

hobbsy

posted on 22/4/10 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, ^^^ that's the crazy Dutch dude I was referring to! I can't remember off hand if you're joining us on this years Alps tour and if so do you think it will be ready in time?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.