Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Help!! Noise reduction ideas please?
Mark G

posted on 21/4/10 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Help!! Noise reduction ideas please?

Hi all,

I've got my first track day in the Indy on Saturday at castle coombe. Only I think it'll be too noisey. It's got at 893 blade engine with an MK exhaust. I fitted the noise reducer that came with the exhaust on the weekend, only that increased the back pressure too much and created a massive flat spot so I had to take it out again.

Does anyone have any locost ideas as to how I can reduce the noise by Saturday? I was thinking of welding something on the end of the can to redirect the exhaust fumes back under the car. It won't reduce the noise at all but I'm hoping that it might trick the db meter.

Help?!

Mark

suparuss

posted on 21/4/10 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
stuff the can with wire wool!
Davey D

posted on 21/4/10 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
if you point the outlet of your exhaust to the floor will the floor absorb some of the noise before it bounces back up to the dB meter?
StrikerChris

posted on 21/4/10 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
like wot he ^^ said and also an,erm hard to explain bit of metal tacked in the end of the exhaust has got us past scrutinears at rallys in the past.twisted bit of metal,bout an inch in depth,imagine a 2 blade propeller side view.to try and swirl and disperse gas exit.only about 1db reduction but was enough at the time
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StrikerChris

posted on 21/4/10 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
and lie about where your limiters at!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rgrs

posted on 21/4/10 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Open it up and repack it, you will probably find that there is very little wadding in it.

Roger

Mark G

posted on 21/4/10 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, so I've decided I may be better off doing a repack so I'm going to take the can apart tonight. Is wire wool really ok to put in the exhaust?
Wadders

posted on 21/4/10 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
bung a standard bike can on, they are very quiet. you do notice a drop in power tho.
Oh and tape up your bonnet scoop, induction roar is a big contributing factor on driveby.

Al.

[Edited on 21/4/10 by Wadders]

StrikerChris

posted on 21/4/10 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
wire wool does the job if its not a majorly hot exhaust.carefull tho cause it will blow wire wool dust out that then rusts on what they land on!not a problem on 7's really but gettin the t cut out on the back of my sx got annoying!
paulf

posted on 21/4/10 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
You can use loft insulation it does melt eventually but would last a few hundred miles.Ideally you should wrap the perf pipe with a layer of stainless wire wool as it doesn't burn and protects the glass wool.
Paul

Daddylonglegs

posted on 21/4/10 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Use stainless wire wool type material. You can get those pan scrubbers (waits for the witty returns ) that are stainless and shouldn't rot down. I got some from homebase, 6 for £1

HTH

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

LBMEFM

posted on 21/4/10 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Wadders, why doesn't your girly dance anymore?
Jon Ison

posted on 21/4/10 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Standard bike can, works every time hassle free and no worries about mods "dropping off" and been black flagged 1/2 way through the day.

You will lose a little on top end but have more low down grunt with a much better power delivery.

andrew

posted on 21/4/10 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
i made bafle out of a piece of tube about 2 foot longand stainless pan scrubs driled holes in tube welded mesh 2" inside tube put pan scrubs in and wired them up tubeso they didnt just end up in end slid inside can held in with nut n bolt , that way if you fail noise just pop another pansrub in or take out till your on limit
Mark G

posted on 25/4/10 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Had the track day yesterday. I'm very glad to say that after repacking with loft insulation the car came in at a very respectable 97db.

At SVA 1200 miles ago I think it was 100.7db so it was never quiet to begin with. Much better now.

Cheers all.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.