Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DOHC and Cossie Difference!
Chaz

posted on 17/5/04 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
DOHC and Cossie Difference!

Well. I've been striping my Sierra and got the engine out 2.0 DOHC. I am wanting to do some general maintenance as well as some improvements. I was wondering how similar the cossie engines are?

Where can i find out about cossie engines? Do any of their parts of the engine or transmission fit straight onto the DOHC. Performance parts aswell.

[Edited on 17/5/04 by Chaz]

ady8077

posted on 17/5/04 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chaz

The dohc is nothing like a cossy, but ford did make a 16v vesrion in the Mk5 RS2000 and the later scorpio

Adrian

[Edited on 18/5/04 by ady8077] Rescued attachment 16v dohc.jpg
Rescued attachment 16v dohc.jpg

Mr G

posted on 17/5/04 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Try THIS thread

Cheers

G

NS Dev

posted on 17/5/04 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Just read your comments on the other thread Mr G and you and Dave Walker have said all I was going to say and cleaned up the bovine exhaust that was again flying!!

In brief answer to your question Chaz, nothing off the dohc (8v or 16v) is interchangeable with the cozzie, they have totally different internal dimensions)

Cozzie bottom end and pinto are basically ((in simple terms) interchangeable as the cossie YB engine was a 16v conversion of a pinto in its initial guise (though it developed a lot along the way)

iwbunting

posted on 17/5/04 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
2.0 DOHC

Hi.

I am stripping the said same car and engine at the moment.No tuning parts except cams and induction kits are available.Try talking to Burton power,i have,very helpful,But,they tell me that the lack of tuning components available for this engine is probably down to the fact that the heads have a tendancy to crack across No 4 Cylinder.For more info give them a cal.

Hope this helps.It hasnt put me off using the motor though as it has loads of grunt,its pretty economical and spares are still reasonably cheap.

Chaz

posted on 18/5/04 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers. Thanks for that. So basically you cant upgrade this engine that much. No.4 piston splits arrhhh, thats gonna be painful.

Iwbunting - What kinda of performance increases do you get with high lift camshaft and induction kits. Which do you recommend?

DaveFJ

posted on 18/5/04 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Best bet: (IMHO)

scrap the dohc and get a zetec - or if money is really short a Pinto...

IIRC the DOHC is very hard to fit anyway because of it's dimensions...

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

PaulBuz

posted on 18/5/04 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
tuning parts for DOHC

If the parts are not available, make 'em, I have! Rescued attachment Picture 660.jpg
Rescued attachment Picture 660.jpg

James

posted on 18/5/04 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting picture Paul- is it just the manifold you've done or other stuff aswell? Any idea on BHP output etc?

Cheers,

James

theconrodkid

posted on 18/5/04 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
is that manifol steel tube?i tried it once and it kept iceing up

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 18/5/04 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Or best of all..... scrap the car engine and fit one from a bike!!!!! vrrrrooooommmmmm!
timf

posted on 18/5/04 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
is that manifol steel tube?i tried it once and it kept iceing up

you can get over it as per the old mini by welding some pipe accross the runners that has the collant water flowing through so it acts as a heat soak.

James

posted on 18/5/04 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Strikes me a better option is that top and bottom side you can strap a six pack of beer to it!
Get to your picnic with nice ice cold beers!

James

PaulBuz

posted on 18/5/04 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
With the twin 40's set up as pictured & a decent exhaust manifold, i am hoping to get around 140ish BHP.
Being into electronics, I am also going to build some kind of prog. ignition to advance the ign. curve better.
If you look carefully at the manifold ,you will see a box section underneath, which engine coolant runs through to prevent ice build up.
I t may not be the most powerfull engine in the world, but the low down torque far exceeds that of the pinto.
As for the claims that it is too heavy, yes , the engine is slightly heavier than a pinto,
But when it is used with its native MT75 g/box, it is a lighter set up than the pinto/type 9

iwbunting

posted on 18/5/04 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
reply to PROTOFJ

In reply to "why not stick a Zetec in" .Did you now that a zetec will drop onto the same mounts as the 2.0 DOHC 8 valve without any modification.That is why i plummed for the cheaper DOHC and at a later date fit the zetec when funds allow.
Cams.......- According to the Cam suppliers web pages an increase of between 8 and 15BHP might be seen by fitting cams alone.
Induction kits...... - bit more of an unknown,no one seems to be setting any figures on this.But hey what the hell 15 BHP for £185 worth of cams dont seem too bad....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.