Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Noise issues again
hugo_wilson

posted on 10/6/10 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Noise issues again

So I posted a couple of weeks ago about a failed iva, most of the stuff i have fixed. One problem remaining, exhaust still too loud by a couple of db.

Any cheap easy tips. Test is on Tuesday so I only have this weekend. People were saying re packing but the silencer I have is welded so I can't get back into it. How much difference would heavy restriction at the manifold end make? If so how much should i do it by.

Cheers

Hugo

austin man

posted on 10/6/10 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
cant u put a reducer in the end of the pipe

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

andrew

posted on 10/6/10 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
try poping a stailess steel pan scrub in see how much it deadens it if not enough put more in try tying a bit of wire on to get them back out again
hugo_wilson

posted on 10/6/10 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrew
try poping a stailess steel pan scrub in see how much it deadens it if not enough put more in try tying a bit of wire on to get them back out again

R u suggesting putting it in at the manifold end or stuffing it up the outlet. How much difference does this make in ur experience, it almost seems too simple.

suparuss

posted on 11/6/10 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
all you need to do is restrict the flow of sound waves coming out of your pipe. steel wool, pan scrubbers, fibreglass wadding, any thing that wont melt and wont stop the fumes exiting will do the trick. stick a load of wire wool in your mouth and try shouting!
Hellfire

posted on 11/6/10 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
This thread reminds me of our SVA back in 2004. We initially failed the noise test and the tester suggested he was going to have a cup of tea and that if we could figure a way to quieten the exhaust, he would re-test the noise.

We eventually managed to get some wire wool from the local builders merchants round the corner and rammed it up the tail pipe as tight as we could. The wire wool would hold firm til about 7,500 rpm, where it would shoot out of the exhaust about 20 yards down the carpark. We kept running to retrieve it and kept ramming it back up with a screwdriver but the same thing kept happening.

The SVA tester knew we weren't going to give up until it passed and after about 20 minutes of him laughing hysterically, it eventually held for long enough to get a pass........

Phil

[Edited on 11-6-10 by Hellfire]

hugo_wilson

posted on 15/6/10 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
PASSED. Thanks for all of the help!

98 dba

Used a sorta wirewool mufflernup by the manifold

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.