Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Question for those with GRP moulding experience
Fred W B

posted on 13/6/10 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Question for those with GRP moulding experience

I'm preparing (my first) mould to make a door panel and I'm undecided on how to prepare the inside corners of the return flanges (that become the outer edges on the part) before starting to lay up.

Do I leave them sharp, or make a 4 mm radius fillet with plastacine?

Considerations -

If I leave them sharp:
The gel coat sharp edges on the part will be liable to chip. - I would give them a say 2 mm radius by sanding? Hopefully not breaking through the gel coat.
Difficult to get mat into the corners when laying up.
3 mm panel gaps will look better with sharper panel edges?

With 4 mm radius fillet:
Takes time to make the fillet
Easier to lay-up
4 mm will become say 5 mm once sanded smooth if necessary to even the edge out?

So which is better/easier? The parts will be painted - eventually.

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 13/6/10 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

suparuss

posted on 13/6/10 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
hey fred, id make the mould as close to what you want the end result to be, so try an get a 2 mm rad in the corners with plasticine. its not that hard really if you soften it enough and use a plastic tool.
then when laying up dont try to go round a tight corner with the glass on the first couple of layers, lay up one plane at a time ending at the corner to ensure good adhesion right into the corner, then wrap the remaining layers all the way round. that should leave little chance of getting air in the corners which means there is no support for the gelcoat.

Ivan

posted on 13/6/10 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry - don't have an answer for you but would think a call to one of Dave Price's men at Superformance would give the answer.

Another really good guy is Keith Bright at Brightglass in Cape Town who has done and is doing lots of car bodies right through from concept to completion.

Fred W B

posted on 13/6/10 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys

Russ - Thanks for response, that makes sense. I have learnt the butting into the corner trick while making the first mould.

Ivan - Now you mention it Justin (Jimmy's son) has invited me to go have a look at what they are doing, but haven't managed to schedule it yet. I have seen Hitech/Superformance, but it was a long time ago, before I was worried about these details.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

alistairolsen

posted on 15/6/10 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
A sharp edge will be fine if you sand a very slight radius on it afterwards.

The main trick is ensuring that you back up the gelcoat correctly, you wont get CSM to follow any small radius and actually hold the gel properly and this is what results in those unsightly chips.

Cut the matt edge straight and get it wetted right out into the corner in at least the first layer and youll save yourself some probklems. That or use a strip of tissue to reinforce the gelcoat on the corner.

My Build Thread

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.