Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT: Loft extension?
matt.c

posted on 29/6/10 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
OT: Loft extension?

Can anyone give me a rough idea of how much it would cost to have a loft extension on my normal sized 3 bed bungalow.

I want to add as many rooms as i can get up there.

East anglia area.

I think i will need to get a new roof as mine aint high enough and will need a couple of gable ends knocking down and a couple of new larger ones built.

I dont have a clue what else is involved as im not great with that sort of stuff. I dont want to go and get proper quote if it is going to cose a fortune.

Many thanks for any advise you can give me.

Matt

Confused but excited.

posted on 29/6/10 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt.c
Can anyone give me a rough idea of how much it would cost to have a loft extension on my normal sized 3 bed bungalow.

I want to add as many rooms as i can get up there.

East anglia area.

I think i will need to get a new roof as mine aint high enough and will need a couple of gable ends knocking down and a couple of new larger ones built.

I dont have a clue what else is involved as im not great with that sort of stuff. I dont want to go and get proper quote if it is going to cose a fortune.

Many thanks for any advise you can give me.

Matt

I thought I was an optimist !

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

matt.c

posted on 29/6/10 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Have i asked a "how long is a piece of string" question?

suparuss

posted on 29/6/10 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
for a reputable company id say anything from £15k upwards. if you are raising the height of the roof youll definately need planning consent and probably building regs aproval, although since it is conversion from single to 2 storey will not be as hard as changing a 2 storey to a 3 storey cos they really go to town on the fire safety.
zilspeed

posted on 29/6/10 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Space provided by an attic conversion is much more difficult to achieve than that provided by a typical single storey extension.
It gives a poor return on your investment comparitively speaking.

Can you build out rather than up ?

AndyW

posted on 29/6/10 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
get a proper builder involved to give quotes, speak to local architects to get quotes on the plans, these alone can cost thousands, speak to council and get quote for planning and building regs. There is no such thing as a cheap option and dont be fooled into thinking there is.
StevieB

posted on 29/6/10 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
Space provided by an attic conversion is much more difficult to achieve than that provided by a typical single storey extension.

That's not always the case with bungalows, where the return can be substantial if it's done right.

I've been looking at a loft conversion to make a proper master bedroom and have seen some example costs for a job that needed a roof extension - it effectivey needed the entire roof removing and starting again - budget was £45k...

My roof has a steep pitch, so there's plenty of scope, though it is a modern house so I would need a fair bit of steelwork to allow me to remove the rafters.

Peteff

posted on 29/6/10 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
It depends on what kind of roof trusses you have and how you can provide access to the roof space from the ground floor. You will have to supply support for the weight of anything going up there as well as people. Dormers can provide more floor area as well as windows. Architects fees can be 10% and upwards of the build cost depending on how much time they spend on them and planning and building regulations will definitely be required. The cost will be proportional to the total area gained and time and materials. It's not going to be cheap.

[Edited on 29/6/10 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

zilspeed

posted on 29/6/10 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed

That's not always the case with bungalows, where the return can be substantial if it's done right.

I've been looking at a loft conversion to make a proper master bedroom and have seen some example costs for a job that needed a roof extension - it effectivey needed the entire roof removing and starting again - budget was £45k...

My roof has a steep pitch, so there's plenty of scope, though it is a modern house so I would need a fair bit of steelwork to allow me to remove the rafters.

I wasn't referring to the returns based on selling. I was speaking of cost / M2 to do the job.

A few years back, I built a single storey exension for a friend. For the 20m2 of floor space we provided, including a kitchen, the cost was under £20,000.

Nowadays, in this part of the world, you can expect to achieve a rate of something like £1,172 / M2 for the same thing.
That's space which is the shape you want it to be and doesn't require stairs to be fitted thereby compromising existing accomodation.
Attics conversions are fine if you have no alternative, but they are not without their issues is all I am saying.
Still, I'm sure matt.c will get something sorted out which best suits his circumstances.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 29/6/10 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Building regs will almost certainly have to be sort and for loft conversions it's worked out by a percentage of the total cost of the build if done by a contractor. So no chance of doing it on the cheap and getting cheaper rates.

My building regs inspector recon'd most loft conversions are over £25k nowadays. So to take roof off etc is going to cost a lot more and you'll have to submit your plans to planning first, which is about £150 I think.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

jossey

posted on 29/6/10 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
rather than highering the roof, lower the ceilings.

its much cheaper and requires no planning.

if you put the dorma onto a private viewing not public road then you dont need planning either.

be aware of party wall act its a f*ckin pain.

keep it under 50sq meters too.

mine cost under 10k but i did lowering of ceilings myself and the insulation and boarding and electrics.

but was worth it. saved me 17k

was 7.6 meters x 6 meters with a 6 meter dorma at back.

no planning just got structural survey for steels.

[Edited on 29/6/10 by jossey]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
panichat

posted on 29/6/10 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Extra problems

We had a necessary loft conversion done which ended up a lot cheaper and less hassle than a house move to a bigger property, but we ran into a lot of unforseen difficulties with building proposals being passed, work started, then inspectors changing their minds and requiring alterations to the layouts of the ground and first floors to accomodate emergency exit routes etc. We only got through it because we had a very involved architect who guided us through the problems. I would hate to have been trying the manage the process myself.

Dave

bodger

posted on 29/6/10 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Just got mine signed off today. Cost me 36k but that's living in the South for you. Still it was a big conversion with en-suite & an office. Get an architect to draw up plans & submit to council for a permitted development certificate. Rules changed in Oct 2008 so you can do a lot of things now that would have required planning permission before. There's also things you could do before that now require pp. If you get a certificate before you start work you shouldn't get any grief off the inspectors provided you comply with building regs.
whitestu

posted on 29/6/10 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Cost me 36k but that's living in the South for you.

Ours was about the same for a 3 bed semi loft in London - gave us a large bedroom and en suite.

Stu

StevieB

posted on 29/6/10 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
My neighbours paid £17k for theirs quite a few years ago - that's with modern trusses, steel beams, new floor joists and 3 velux windows.

I have a friend who's an architect and, me being a quantity surveyor, should be able to turn out the plans to satisfy planning for a minnimum cost. I'm then going to just start doing it pice at a time (though the normal phasing of such a build would be to put the stairs in to alow easy access, but I'll find a way to cope).

I would much rather have an extension to the ground floor kitchen and dining room, but I have a 3 bed house and a 2nd child on the way - I'm self employed so I also need a home office so the loft conversion seems logical.

As far as the ground floor goes, I was thinking of a conservatory, but I'm not sure it's not worth going the extra mile for a proper extension.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.