Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Throttle cable nipple thingy
RazMan

posted on 18/10/10 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Throttle cable nipple thingy

Im looking for a plastic widget which fits onto this Ford throttle linkage - anything that will allow me to connect a cable in fact ....

Description
Description

Any ideas guys?

[Edited on 18-10-10 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
splitrivet

posted on 18/10/10 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Get a 2a terminal strip (Chocolate block) thread the inner cable through it and back through the strip making a loop, tighten up the screws on the strip and off you go.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

RazMan

posted on 18/10/10 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Refreshingly simple and Locost idea but I am hoping to find something a bit more permanent. A cable loop will have some slack and will also be at risk of jumping off when not under tension. Thanks all the same

[Edited on 18-10-10 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 18/10/10 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
I'd recommend a spring loaded linkage similar to waht is used on SUs.

here is picture:
http://jaguaretype.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/img_4638.jpg?w=470&h=312

on the left link with a sping loaded collar that as hole in the side. .... unfortunatley you cannot see what I am about to describe.

but by pulling the collar down, the round end piece (spherical in case of SU) fits through the hole and the collar spring back to hold it in place.

no idea what these things are called but I can look in the SU manual if you want.

oh, forgot to say, these are on the end of rods, not cables.

[Edited on 18/10/10 by 02GF74]

RazMan

posted on 18/10/10 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, I was looking at one of those (quick release ball joints btw) but it is too chunky and, as you said, made for rods and not cables.

I am tempted to drill out the existing pin and weld in a longer one with a split pin in the end, then make up a little clevis pivot to mate up with the cable.

This would be quite time consuming and if a plastic widget is available it would be much easier

Cheers,
Raz

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.