Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: speed camera crap
stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/8/04 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
speed camera crap

That story in the news yesterday about big bro cameras that will measure your speeding over 2 miles is old hat.

we have such a system on the a43 in northampton, at weston favell.

nothing new at all.

the pic is the 'pretty' poles they are mounted on

atb

steve Rescued attachment g31.jpg
Rescued attachment g31.jpg

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/8/04 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
proof speed cams dont save lives?

[Edited on 5/8/04 by stephen_gusterson] Rescued attachment cam.jpg
Rescued attachment cam.jpg

john_p_b

posted on 5/8/04 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
they got them cameras in notts and i believe they are getting ready to put some on the A46 heading towards newark by the look of the pretty blue polls along there.

surely they can only be effective on a long stretch of road with no junctions though? otherwise u could still go through one at silly speed, pull off before the next one and it'll never get you???

mangogroove

posted on 5/8/04 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Police cashpoints!

You want it when!

Oliver Jetson

posted on 5/8/04 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
These cameras are called SPECS i believe. They've been around a while and they are pains in the arse!

If I remeber correctly they tried them out a few years ago above a Leicester service station on the M1 and the number of people they caught speedin was in 4 figures for one day! Although this was only a test and they never actually fined any of those caught.

They have now put up a series of the cameras on the stretch of M6 that is having serious roadworks at the mo near Brum (40mph all the way so watch out!).

They are digital cameras that take pics of the front of the car (and your face), and measure average speeds over distances. Apparently all computer controlled and issue instant fines if you are speeding.

I can't come to terms of how stupid this speed camera game is gettin, but it is STUPID!

ChrisJLW

posted on 5/8/04 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
The ones on the M6 are set at 78mph, I believe.
Wondering whether to invest in a GPS/laser detector. Either that or ECM!

I've lived a life that's full.
I've traveled each and ev'ry highway.
But more, much more than this,
I did it side-ah-ways.

dblissett

posted on 5/8/04 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
speed cameras

i have been driving as a rep for 17 years
i average about 35000 miles per year i have never had a accident or caused one in this time
( not including my kids) and up until 6 months ago i had never been caught for speeding
since these bastard cameras have gone up every where i have now got caught twice in 6 months
am i public enemy number one or just easy prey compard to the unregesterd untaxed and unisured toe rags
rant over
ps where is the best camerar detecter and how much cos if i dont do somthing its gona cost me my job
cheers dave

[Edited on 5/8/04 by dblissett]

andyps

posted on 5/8/04 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
I have a road angel GPS speed camera locator and am very happy with it. You can't rely on it 100% because of all the new cameras popping up, but as long as you update it frequently it seems OK. It recognised the new cameras around Leeds by the time they were commissioned, I updated it the weekend after they were erected and it picked them up so I guess that is pretty good.

So far, I haven't passed a live mobile camera so don't know how well it picks them up, but the database has the common mobile sites included.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

dblissett

posted on 5/8/04 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
how much are they and do they pick up the digital ones that we have loads of in nottingham
john you cant go through one at high speed and pull off it still gets you for going above the speed limit
example if you go through the first one at 30 then speed up to 70 and just before you get to the next camerar you slow back down to 30 it will calculate the time you took between the two cameras and work out your average speed then take your pic and fine you good ey
cheers dave

[Edited on 5/8/04 by dblissett]

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/8/04 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
road angel I think only knows fixed cam positions.

many places, like northants, have laser vans that can get you from up to a kilometer away. I think the chance of sensing a laser in time to brake isnt high!

atb

steve

givemethebighammer

posted on 5/8/04 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
I use an PDA (ipaq / pocket compter / whatever you want to call it) with TOM TOM navigator software for my route guidance, FREE useful add-on is the safety camera database overlay which is updated fairly regularly (again free). This has most of the positions of the fixed and possible mobile speed traps.

http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/uksafetycameras.php

TOM TOM sat nav is worth it's weight in gold the speed camera add on makes it even better.

(note this setup does not actually detect speed cameras, it just has the GPS positions of them in it's database).

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 6/8/04 at 04:31 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.nationalsafetycameras.co.uk/

The Register » Odds and Sods » Bootnotes »
[e][p][m]
Speed camera clocks motorist at 406 mph
By Lester Haines
Published Wednesday 21st January 2004 11:21 GMT

Since we Brits already hold the land speed record as a result of jet-powered Thrust SSC going supersonic in 1997, it seems only natural that we should attempt to be the first nation to break the sound barrier with a petrol-driven reciprocating-engined vehicle.

That at least appears to be what sales manager Peter O’Flynn was attempting when clocked at an impressive 406mph (653kmph) by a speed camera in Cheshire.
The achievement becomes even more admirable when we learn that Peter was at the time at the controls of a humble Peugot 406, until now thought to have a top speed of 129mph.

Heroic Peter is modest about his tremendous effort, insisting: "I rarely speed and it’s safe to say I’ll contest this." Officials, however, say Mr O’Flynn still faces prosecution despite the obvious attack of insanity which afflicted it speed (sorry, safety) camera.

This superb piece of bureaucratic madness is just the latest chapter in the ongoing saga of the government's war against speeding motorists. We look forward with eager anticipation to police slapping the cuffs on the first OAP to reach hypersonic velocities in a battery-powered disabled buggy. ®

[Edited on 6-8-04 by mangogrooveworkshop]

I love speed :-P

posted on 6/8/04 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oliver Jetson

They are digital cameras that take pics of the front of the car (and your face)

Well what if ur wearing a helmet if u havnt got a windscreen, or say on a motorbike, how do they no who is in it?

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Oliver Jetson

posted on 6/8/04 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Thats a good point which I don't know the answer to, however they do take the pics and if you aren't wearin a helmet/mask then ur buggered!

Bob C

posted on 6/8/04 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
406mph pretty good.
When I was building my elan in early 90's I checked out stealth technology - 1/4 wavelength thickness of the right resistivity material inside the bodywork would absorb all incident radar.
Trouble is - there's always a bit of reflection & even the small amount would produce a reading when close. So my answer was to arrange for a good reflector (eg cornercube) to be moving very fast just in front of the radiator (ie attatched to rad fan blades)
Never got done I'm afraid - couldn't get a rad fan with 400mph rotor tip speed.....
Sounds like I would have got done anyway.
Bob C

andyps

posted on 6/8/04 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
The road angel knows all the fixed sites, but if users register mobile sites (done by pressing a button on the unit when at teh location, passed to the comapny next time you update) they will be added to the database when verified by Road Angel.

It does know the location of the specs average speed cameras. The unit specifies if there is a fixed, mobile or avarage speed camera, along with blackspots. You can choose how far inadvance you want to be notified up to one mile.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.