Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: LED / FLASHER RELAY
richard

posted on 4/11/11 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
LED / FLASHER RELAY

Okay gents I am hoping you can answer the question.
I am putting together a wiring loom for a LOCUST that consists of a loom from them ( that needs to be altered due to using ) , a mk3 fieata stering column that has a flasher unit attached directly to the column stalk.
The owner has decided to use LED rear indicators, but the other 4 indicators are normal bulbs, but he has got an electronic flasher unit with the rear lights, which is being used in the stalk. all the lights work directly off a battery when tested .
I am having trouble collating all this together, getting the indicators / hazards to work and was wondering if we are doing the right thing using the electronic flasher ?
do you use one of these as soon as the first LED indcators are used on a car ?

can you also confirm the firing of the flasher unit.

3 pin flasher wired up with pin 49 as +12V ( permanent ? ) , pin 31 as earth, and pin 49a as the output.

i' ve only ever played with a sierra loom to this extent on my own car and was simply a case of copying the sierra diagram but this is more of a chalenge.
Presently all that happens is when i turn the hazard on, the light on the switch self comes on, but no other lights and nothing when i operate the indicator switch in either direction.
Help
Richard

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
les g

posted on 4/11/11 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
i think it might be easier to use a standard flasher unit and use resistors on the two led flashers
they are available from cbs and loadsa places on the internet
also the cbs catalogue gives some simple wiring diagrams
HTH
CHEERS LES G

rachaeljf

posted on 4/11/11 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
Your electronic flasher should be fine, it's designed to flash at the required rate no matter what the load on it. You need the correct hazard switch, to supply either permanent live or ignition live to pin 49 on the relay. The switch is actually two switches in one; one side supplies pin 49 on your relay and switches between permanent (hazards on) and ignition live (hazards off), the other side connects both sides of the indicators together (hazards on) so they all flash together.

Indicators must not be operable without ignition on.

Cheers R

Dusty

posted on 5/11/11 at 01:02 AM Reply With Quote
Three pin relays come with two different configuration of the pins. Both still 49/49A/31 but different layout and the wrong one will plug in fine! Have you got the right one?
needforspeed

posted on 5/11/11 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
as said just use some resistors, the relay doesnt flash the same speed with different loads on it will most almost certainly flash fast with leds
richard

posted on 5/11/11 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for all your ideas gents, when i am allowed more garage time i will check them out
Ta Richard.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RK

posted on 6/11/11 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
I have LED's on the rear indicators/stop lights and they flash at the same speed as the regular bulbs on the side panels and nosecone. I used the regular flasher relay that came with my loom. I also used a regular flasher relay for the hazards. No problems, no resistors. I did need some diodes to stop things from feeding back however.
needforspeed

posted on 6/11/11 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
they will but if you have leds fromt and rear it isnt enough

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.