Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GT6 SU inlet manifold WTD
spiderman

posted on 3/12/11 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
GT6 SU inlet manifold WTD

Hi I have been looking for a GT6 SU inlet manifold for a while now and was just wondering if anyone on here has one or knows where I can get my hands on one.

Many thanks.

Spider

v8kid

posted on 3/12/11 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry I don't but surely they were fitted with Strombergs?

Cheers

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
spiderman

posted on 3/12/11 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
Sorry I don't but surely they were fitted with Strombergs?

Cheers

I have one that is fitted with strombergs but some were fitted with SU's I beleive, although I am begining to wonder. I will have to do a little more research to find out which Triumph six cylinder models were fitted with them.

Spider

cliftyhanger

posted on 3/12/11 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Nope, they all had stromberg 150's but a few varieties depending on age.
The usual "mod" was to use short dashpot (as in dolly sprint) HS6 carbs and either adaptor plates as sold by moss (have a pair here if interested, also fit HS4's) or file the mounting holes oval on the carbs. Hone out the bore a little and away you go.

Many have tried to use the "better" late saloon manifold, but it needs serious work to fit and shut the bonnet.

Which SU's did you want to fit?

John Bonnett

posted on 4/12/11 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
I think the MK1 GT6 was fitted with SUs and maybe some of the MK2s as well. The picture shows SUs and a VW Golf radiator fitted.

Description
Description

spiderman

posted on 4/12/11 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Bonnett
I think the MK1 GT6 was fitted with SUs and maybe some of the MK2s as well. The picture shows SUs and a VW Golf radiator fitted.

Description
Description

Thanks for the photo I think that it is a Stromberg manifold fitted with some adapter plates some of which I am hoping to get from "cliftyhanger" (Top Bloke). The photo also gives me a few other answers as to the cooling mods I want to do as I was wondering which rad to use and also about an expansion tank pipe routing.

Many thanks for your help.

Spider

John Bonnett

posted on 4/12/11 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
Nope, they all had stromberg 150's but a few varieties depending on age.
The usual "mod" was to use short dashpot (as in dolly sprint) HS6 carbs and either adaptor plates as sold by moss (have a pair here if interested, also fit HS4's) or file the mounting holes oval on the carbs. Hone out the bore a little and away you go.

Many have tried to use the "better" late saloon manifold, but it needs serious work to fit and shut the bonnet.

Which SU's did you want to fit?

Sorry Clive, I was misled by the picture of Roy's set up. I have seen SUs on some GT6s and hadn't realised that they weren't standard.

The radiator on my car is U/S so I am going to replace it with a Golf one. This is the type fitted to a MK2 GTI; £29 delivered free from Fastrads.

regards

John

rusty nuts

posted on 4/12/11 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
The Triumph 2500 TC had twin SUs as did some of the US spec TR6s IIRC but I suspect the ports may be different from the 2 lt engine
cliftyhanger

posted on 4/12/11 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
TR6 and saloon items not suitable, the GT6/vitesse manifold had a step down to clear the bonnet, all athers dont, with often disastrous consequences
rusty nuts

posted on 4/12/11 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Bike carb conversion perhaps?
spiderman

posted on 5/12/11 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
I will probably go down the fuel injection route in the future but at the moment I have worn Strombergs fitted and they are the emission contolled type and non adjustable, the cheapest interim upgrade, whilst keeping the car on the road seems to be the 1.75" SU route.

Description
Description

[Edited on 5/12/11 by spiderman]

Spider

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.