Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The Great WLR pass
PeterV

posted on 29/2/12 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
The Great WLR pass

Today at on this odd 29th February 2012 @ 11.45 two and half years after starting this project and some 3000 hours of work (in total by me and others) and around £14,000 the Beast got an IVA PASS at Norwich on the second attempt.

First was test was in December 2011 so the IVA fixes were reasonably quick.

Oh did I mention it PASSED.

Now just suspension set up, steering, exhaust and power tunning from 185BHP to 300BHP to sort out to get to Le Mans this year

Think I did say that it had PASSED it's IVA? Yeah I'm sure I talked about that ealier.

Just the DVLA stuff to get sorted now that it's PASSED the IVA

scootz

posted on 29/2/12 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Yee-Haaa!

It's Evolution Baby!

Daddylonglegs

posted on 29/2/12 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
So, how did the re-test go then?

Congrats chap

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

russbost

posted on 29/2/12 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Did you say it PASSED!!!!

Well done! Congrats & all that good stuff!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
afj

posted on 29/2/12 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Well done

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2760
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 29/2/12 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Well done that man
loggyboy

posted on 29/2/12 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Congrats - no essay/story this time!?!
bonzoronnie

posted on 29/2/12 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations

Well done, cool build

Coopz

posted on 29/2/12 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Well done mate, Its such a great feeling..... I was hoping for story time, I'll let you off as you must be too excited
PeterV

posted on 29/2/12 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
I'll scribble the full story once I've celebrated with many more beers

Cheers Guys!!!

HowardB

posted on 29/2/12 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations!

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

jacko

posted on 29/2/12 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations on passing on this fine day
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kipper

posted on 29/2/12 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
pass

Well done that man, Does that mean it only needs testing every leap year?.
Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

wombat

posted on 29/2/12 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Well done buddy !
roadrunner

posted on 29/2/12 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
NICE ONE.
rdodger

posted on 29/2/12 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Well done!

Shame it wasn't registered today too. It wouldn't need an MOT for 12 years!

ashg

posted on 29/2/12 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
well done

now get some plates on it then look at www.southernkitcars.com forum and come out on a run. will be good to have another saab engined car in the pack.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

PeterV

posted on 29/2/12 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Here which on of these damn DVLA forms do I need to scrawl all over. Want a Q plate for the Beast coz it just won't look right with a proper plate. It's supose to be a prototype sports car not anything real or vintage. So which V55/4 or V55/5 or both? Just when I thought it was all good. Confused again!
Mr C

posted on 29/2/12 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Well done and congratulations.

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

ashg

posted on 29/2/12 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
v55/5 is for kits. i think the 55/4 is for imports

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

PeterV

posted on 29/2/12 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Ash. See you at a meet in the near future, well that's a DVLA near future which is not relative to anything Einstein knew about
Marcus

posted on 29/2/12 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Well done!!,

BTW, you passed on the 29th, no MOT for 12 years

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PeterV

posted on 29/2/12 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
Well done!!,

BTW, you passed on the 29th, no MOT for 12 years

Me thinks poor Mr. Sing at the local Post Office has a hard time with a Q plate let alone a date that only heppens every 4 years. This is not going to end well

PeterV

posted on 4/3/12 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
OK as promised the WLR story of the pass.

So we got the trailer early for the retest. Getting the beast to sit comfy on a car transporter is tricky. The damn thing is so wide it only fits with 5mm to spare to each side rail. Bodywork destruction is almost guaranteed. It's easier to reverse the car onto the trailer in terms of ground clearance, coz “big nose” hates anything higher than scattered horse pooh in front. But reversing up a tilting trailer and being accurate to +/-5mm is a little time consuming! So this time 6” x 3” planks lined the deck of the transporter and were used to reduce the initial incline onto the trailer. Lifting the whole car clear of the side frames gives much more cock up room and allows the car to drive on in a forward direction. Simple!

Strapping the beast down, so that it doesn't leap off and attack passing motorists, was also changed this time. Last time going over the body work left the Beast wriggle room on it's suspension. So this time the straps were passed over the front and rear lower wishbones. Then the wheels were locked using smaller straps and finally the trailer winch is used. Provoking the Beast with some shaking, bouncing and a sharp stick proved it could not escape.

Next trick was to remove the wing mirrors so they didn't do a repeat of their sky diving performance, as in the the first test. And, unlike trip one, the fuel cap was made secure. Following motorists would have to de-ice their own cars on this trip.

Right, test is not until 11am so a drive to Norwich from Colchester could be accomplished just outside the rush hour and in day light.

Note to self “Always go in the Dark”!!!

60MPH on the inside lane of the A14 means you catch lorries. Unfortunately every driver overtaking our rig comes out of “brain dead duel carriageway" mode into “What on earth's that”? mode and hangs in the outside lane along side the trailer. This causes a queue of cars, each of which has to have a peek. If there are more than two males in the car they could be out there for some time while they decide, in their expert opinion, what it is.
Mean while our little convoy is now stuck behind traction units doing 42MPH with no bloody way out.
“Go AWAY”

Having figured what was happening the power of the fully Abbott Racing tuned SAAB 95 2.3T was put to work. Lorry in the distance. Eye Spy Car Spotted along side trailer. Floor it!! Car spotted is now saying “What the Hell” as the rig beats MR2 60-80MPH times and jumps into the outside lane. This did make the trip somewhat uneconomic, but hey what we suppose to do, become farmers?

Arriving at Jupiter road test station finding the gates open and driving straight to the parking area outside the IVA shed was simple, as opposed to last times locked gate pitch black unloading. Unloading using the new planks was a snap, the wing mirrors reattached and we were ready. But we are early. OMG!! Nerves start to fray and sweaty palms need repeated jeans rubbing time. Gathered out side with the owner of the car under going import checks, means the 17 paced laps around the beast didn't look quite as weird as it would if I were alone.

Denise, the tester, popped out to say the other cars paper work was about to be completed and then we'd be in. Smiles, shake hands, quick reminisce and off trotted Denise. More pacing, followed by a dash to the waiting room loo.

TIME!!

Quick chat about how I fixed the self centring issue, Denise was very happy that it had been done with Castor changes and not “the usual bodgers route”. Mmmmm, there was a little more toe out than there had been, but this stayed unmentioned.

15 minutes and a few ticks later, including a quick tweak of the headlight, Denise was in the car driving out of the shed to check the self centre and rear view. Now for anyone who thinks they can get through with masses of toe out, camber and high tyre pressures, forget it! The car is weaved slowly through cones then more quickly in a straight line and through cones. Turn in and straight line stability is also being tested here, me thinks. Then the self centre is tested from at least two thirds full lock each side. Happy with the driving stability and degree of self centre another big tick is entered on the fail sheet.

Parked and wing mirrors adjusted the final test receives a wonderful, great big, lustrous tick.

Over to the office, re-leaved of £90 and handed a scribbled on form. What? All that for a scrawled on bit of paper. What an anti climax! Still the joy was euphoric and much hand shaking and thanks were banded around before the loading process. The beast hopped onto the trailer as if it new it was escaping the vets with no fear of return

Even the tailgating, trailer hovering Dumbo's could not dim the happy singing all the way home. Burgers in a lay-by produced some inquisitive conversations and for the first time I was actually able to talk about using the car and it's trip to Le Man with major confidence.

Next job DVLA

jeffw

posted on 4/3/12 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
well done

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.