Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Clutch clatter
Dusty

posted on 4/6/12 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Clutch clatter

Or to be a bit more precise release bearing chatter I think. Just rebuilt my ST170 with a light steel flywheel. There is a loud chatter from the bellhousing area which may be the release bearing but I'm not sure. The release arm is tensioned to hold the bearing in contact with the diaphragm fingers so I don't understand why this would be a problem. Alternative source for the noise could be due to the lighter flywheel not maintaining a steady rotational speed due to its lighter rotating mass although I'm not clear why this would be noisy. Anyone have any other ideas or experience of light flywheels?

[Edited on 4/6/12 by Dusty]

PSpirine

posted on 4/6/12 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
does it clatter when the clutch is engaged and/or disengaged?
Canada EH!

posted on 4/6/12 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
It's been awhile since I played with light flywheels, maybe you need to turn up the idle. With light flywheels the engine firing pulses are more pronounced, the fewer the cylinders the worse it gets.
MikeRJ

posted on 4/6/12 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
More likely the gearbox rattling due to lighter flywheel I'd have thought.
Dusty

posted on 7/6/12 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Most pronounced when the foot is off the pedal. Only quietens in the last half inch of pedal travel at the moment the clutch releases fully. Just part pressing the pedal even though I can feel the diaphragm springs begin to move and the release bearing is obviously under much tension doesn't seem to make any difference.
I will up the idle to 1000 and see if that helps.

MarcV

posted on 15/8/12 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
What setup are you running?

Assuming that the new flywheel is single mass and the one removed is a dual mass then you should replace the clutch with at least a clutch plate with sprung hub. If you use the original, solid clutch disk than the presence of chatter is a very reasonable situation.

sickbag

posted on 15/8/12 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Could it be making very slight contact with the starter pinion? Does the clattering change with revs?

Finally back on the job!

rost

posted on 15/8/12 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
I have exactly the same issue on my 4age and I'm pretty lost at the moment.
The sound disappears in the same way. The sound stays when I move the release bearing as far back as possible.
With the clutch released the noise is gone and I can rev it up to 8000rpm without any imbalance, so I'd say the flywheel is OK.
Can the gearbox make a noise like this?

Edit: Are you running a T9 too?

[Edited on 15/8/12 by rost]

Charlie don't surf!

Dusty

posted on 2/10/12 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry I didn't respond to the later questions. Yes T9 box. I upped the idle revs which improved things to a point where it was no longer a worry. I did not make any changes to the clutch. I assumed that there was sufficient un-eveness in rotational acceleration with the lightweight flywheel to make the noise. I didn't decide what was making the noise. It did not seem to be the release bearing as firm pressure on the clutch pedal, enough to take up any play in the release bearing did not clear the noise. It only clears when the clutch is fully released. So possibly backlash in the gear train, input or first motion to layshaft chatter might be the correct diagnosis.

Original flywheel was dual mass and replaced with 1.8 zetec solid flywheel, drilled for heavy duty pinto sprung clutch plate and diaphragm. Was OK with this but when the further change to lightweight flywheel, still with pinto clutch took place the noise has been present.

[Edited on 2/10/12 by Dusty]

rodgling

posted on 2/10/12 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
I have a light single-mass flywheel with unsprung clutch (kind of regretting not using a sprung clutch now, but there you go, don't think I'll be taking the engine out to change it) - there is a bit of chatter when idling in neutral with my foot off the clutch pedal, but it goes away when the pedal is pushed in, so basically similar behaviour to yours. I wouldn't worry about it?

I've also noticed a bit of chatter on the over-run, and while accelerating at about 2 - 2.5k. Again, I'm not worrying overly about it.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.