Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Don't fit LED bulbs into your Vauxhall, problem solved
Mr Whippy

posted on 24/12/12 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Don't fit LED bulbs into your Vauxhall, problem solved

I have a 10 year old Zafira that now keeps running when I take the keys out but only if the lights are on! not only that the brake lights are not going off either ahhh! stupid car

I've checked the earths and there all clean and copper greased, apart from this it runs fine. The electrics are so complex I can't even figure out where the problem is I have checked the brake switch but that seems fine

Any ideas? thanks

(changed the title seeing it is now fixed for future reference)

[Edited on 24/12/12 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 24/12/12 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
I hate vauxhalls

Edit: to say it sounds like a stuck relay?

[Edited on 24/12/12 by mookaloid]

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/12/12 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
found the prob, just mental

a few months ago I fitted LED tail light bulbs, just changed them back to normal ones and all is well, seems the engine was running through the bulb when the light circuit was on

tbh it was a lucky guess though, just shows how odd the electrics is in modern cars, will put the bulbs in the landy instead....

cheers

[Edited on 24/12/12 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 24/12/12 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Some Vauxhalls have a "Multi function" relay that can cause an awful lot of problems, not sure if a ten year old Zafira has one but it does sound like a relay sticking? . It seems strange that the brake lights don't go off?,Does the engine still run with the brake light switch still connected? might be worth checking that it has the correct bulbs fitted in the rear lights ? If the lights are on, causing the brake lights to be on due to an incorrect bulb, it could be the ignition is being back fed ? Take the bulbs out or disconnect the wiring to test?

Must learn to type faster!!

[Edited on 24/12/12 by rusty nuts]

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/12/12 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
thanks you were close to the problem, I just looked for things I'd changed, would never suspected fitting LED bulbs would cause such effects
rusty nuts

posted on 24/12/12 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
It's a lot more common a problem than you would think, I recently had a Nissan in for an MOT that had the front side lights coming on when the brake pedal was pressed, the car had been into the main dealers the week before to have the problem sorted, they couldn't find the problem(muppets) It was due to having a single contact bulb instead of a double contact bulb for the stop/tail light
britishtrident

posted on 24/12/12 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
With CAN Bus system you can get odd electrical problems wipers can come without being switched on or one side light can come on for no reason try disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes, check all the battery and earth connections are clean and secure.

Most CAN Bus systems get up set if bulbs with the wrong resistance is fitted even if there is no bulb failure warning system fitted to particular model.

[Edited on 24/12/12 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 24/12/12 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
It's a lot more common a problem than you would think, I recently had a Nissan in for an MOT that had the front side lights coming on when the brake pedal was pressed, the car had been into the main dealers the week before to have the problem sorted, they couldn't find the problem(muppets) It was due to having a single contact bulb instead of a double contact bulb for the stop/tail light

I would expect any first year apprentice mechanic with half a brain to find that in a couple minutes, the symptoms point straight to either a bad earth in rear lights or incorrect/incorrectly fitted bulb.
But these days if the "computer dosen't say Yes" they ain't got clue...................................

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

rusty nuts

posted on 24/12/12 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

But these days if the "computer dosen't say Yes" they ain't got clue...................................

That about hits the nail on the head

loggyboy

posted on 24/12/12 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Just needs load/ballast resistors.

Mistral Motorsport

Stott

posted on 24/12/12 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a mk1 Fabia vrs as a tintop and every now and then the window switches swap function, so the left does the right and vice versa, switching the car off and on again cures it. Canbus and digital coded parts are a nightmare!!!!!
Ninehigh

posted on 24/12/12 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
In these cold starts my 206 tells me there's an airbag failure, same as above switch it off and on the problem's gone. If that's all the electrical gremlins I get I'll be happy with that.

BangedupTiger

posted on 24/12/12 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Dont think Zaffy A's run off the canbus system. Sounds like typical VX build quality

My vxr does random things all the time, one canbus wire runs about 5 different unrelated things.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.