Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Rivnuts
Mistron

posted on 24/1/13 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Rivnuts

Just wanted to say that I have just used Rivnuts for the first time - a cunning combination of captive nut and pop rivet.

While they're not strong enough to replace a welded nut, but for lighter applications, What a great invention!!!!
I'm converted! I've been using them into the side wall of tubes, but they would work well on flat panels too.

Cheap too (I got mine off Ebay, along with the tool)

If you've not seen or used them before, have a look.

snakebelly

posted on 24/1/13 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Whilst I agree they can be a great tool in the car build arsenal I would caution against getting too carried away, they have there place but also have there faults, they can work loose over time, try not to swear when your trying to get a panel off and the rivnut the last bolt is in keeps spinning up! One good tip is to also put some pu adhesive round them before fitting, gives an additional bond and also seals the bare metal edge of the hole it's going on so prevents corrosion over time.
HTH

madteg

posted on 24/1/13 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Try the stainless inserts they are a lot stronger.
theduck

posted on 25/1/13 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
I knew there was something other than a normal rivet I should have used last weekend!
yellowcab

posted on 25/1/13 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same experiences as snakebelly... they work loose and corrode, so when you come to remove said object, you're more stuffed than a stuffed thing lol

Mistron

posted on 25/1/13 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, I agree with the points above - I should have said I was using stainless ones into allow box secrion, into which the serations got a decent bite, and the bolts shouldn't need frequent loosening / tightening.
Peteff

posted on 25/1/13 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Is that "alloy" box section ? Watch out as stainless and aluminium can cause a galvanic reaction and rot the aluminium to a white powder.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

40inches

posted on 26/1/13 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Use steel, serrated rivnuts on steel, much stronger and won't corrode, and countersunk ones beneath panels

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.