Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Replacement M/C
Daddylonglegs

posted on 4/3/13 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Replacement M/C

Right, I know it's been discussed on here several times, but is there anywhere that will give me a good idea as to what I can replace the Sierra M/C with on my Locost?

So far it seems either the Fiesta Mk1 (non-servo) or Fiat 124/Lada Riva will do it. But what reservoir do I use and how is best to connect it (assuming it will be a remote one)?

I seem to be having issues finding them without knowing the part numbers etc.

Any help, or even better, someone's write-up of how they did it would be really appreciated

I reall want to replace my Sierra M/C ASAP so I can be 100% confident of the brakes before Stoneleigh.

Thanks all

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Dick Axtell

posted on 4/3/13 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
So far it seems either the Fiesta Mk1 (non-servo) or Fiat 124/Lada Riva will do it.

Beware Lada Riva mcyl. The Russians and Poles used to use M10 x 1.25 ports, not the std Euro M10 x 1.0. Dunno if the've changed to the more std version yet.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

whitestu

posted on 4/3/13 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
So far it seems either the Fiesta Mk1 (non-servo) or Fiat 124/Lada Riva will do it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware Lada Riva mcyl. The Russians and Poles used to use M10 x 1.25 ports, not the std Euro M10 x 1.0. Dunno if the've changed to the more std version yet.

The Fiat 124 MC is the same. No reason not to use it though, just get the right bit bits to bolt it up.

Stu

loony

posted on 4/3/13 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Look for Fiat - Uno/Panda MC: Delphi LM70023 -19,05mm bore, 3x m10x1 outputs

Brake-Master-Cylinder-Fiat-Panda-Delphi-LM70023-19-05mm-Bore

[Edited on 4/3/13 by loony]

Lucas

Daddylonglegs

posted on 4/3/13 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loony
Look for Fiat - Uno/Panda MC: Delphi LM70023 -19,05mm bore, 3x m10x1 outputs

Brake-Master-Cylinder-Fiat-Panda-Delphi-LM70023-19-05mm-Bore

[Edited on 4/3/13 by loony]

Thanks for the input guys. What is the best solution if I get the Fiat one regards reservoir? Can you get one to plug in to the top or is a remote one a better idea?

Thanks again

whitestu

posted on 4/3/13 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
I got a remote one from Rally Designs. It was a Saab one I think. The mc should come with the fittings to push into the fluid entry points, you then just need some suitable hose to connect the two together.

It was this one I think: Link

Stu

iank

posted on 4/3/13 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
The one from the FIAT 124 has the advantage over the Uno one of having the remote fluid barbs fitted (look for part BMC4020)
http://brakeparts.co.uk/#page=parts&pageSection=BHA&mancode=FIAT&brand=FIAT&model=124&modelversion=124*exc+sport

Alfa 157 reservoir looks good to me (last post) http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=173303

To join them OEM Seicento pipes are cheap and should be correctly marked for the job (better than a lot of the after market pipes that start leaking after a while).

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

rdodger

posted on 4/3/13 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Fiat 126 with Rallydesign remote reservoir

Daddylonglegs

posted on 5/3/13 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all! Some good advice there, and thanks to rdodger for the pics

A hunting I will go ..........

loony

posted on 5/3/13 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
I get remote fluid barbs as bonus from the shop to my MC ...

And the Rallydesign remote reservoir looks like cheaper OEM Fiat Brake Fluid Reservoir brake-fluid-reservoir-tank--classic- fiat-500-126-600-850-124-plus-many-others

What's Alfa 157 ? Should be 156...

Also look at Renault Scenic or Ford Focus brake fluid reservoir...

[Edited on 5/3/13 by loony]

Lucas

iank

posted on 5/3/13 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loony
I get remote fluid barbs as bonus from the shop to my MC ...

And the Rallydesign remote reservoir looks like cheaper OEM Fiat Brake Fluid Reservoir brake-fluid-reservoir-tank--classic- fiat-500-126-600-850-124-plus-many-others

What's Alfa 157 ? Should be 156...

Also look at Renault Scenic or Ford Focus brake fluid reservoir...

[Edited on 5/3/13 by loony]

Probably a typo (of either 147 or 156 - probably both the same part).

Rally Design reservoir used by rdodger is a pig to mount (I had one) as you need to make a strap to pin it down or drill into some small webs on the underside which it looks like his very nice bracket does.

The alfa one has bolt holes built in.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

rdodger

posted on 5/3/13 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Yes. I got a bit carried away with that bracket!

A couple of little rivnuts in the webs to hold it in place.

The barbs on the reservoir and MC are quite different sizes. It was a really tight fit on the reservoir and loose on the MC. In my case it was important to get it as low as poss so the Fiat one with straight barbs would have caused me problems.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 6/3/13 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
OK, I got my Fiat MC today, only trouble is, I think the threads are M10 x 1.25 whereas the Sierra ones are M10 x 1. Not a problem in itself as I can buy a couple of Male tube nuts to suit and remake the ends of the brake pipes. The problem is, in the Sierra one, I have used a bleed nipple to blank off the 3rd redundant outlet. I cannot seem to find an M10 x 1.25 bleed screw/nipple

Anyone got any suggestions?

Also, for anyone who has used one confirm that the movement of the pistons is a lot less than that of the Sierra one? It doesn't seem to go down very far in comparison.

Thanks.
JB

whitestu

posted on 6/3/13 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Also, for anyone who has used one confirm that the movement of the pistons is a lot less than that of the Sierra one? It doesn't seem to go down very far in comparison.

Do you mean the pedal movement? I have a Fiat 124 mc and the pedal moves quite a bit further than it did with the Sierra MC.

Stu

Daddylonglegs

posted on 6/3/13 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Yes. I have not fitted the MC yet, but when I try and push down on where the rod will sit, it does not seem to go down anywhere near as far as the Sierra one. It's a new MC so not sure what's up if anything?

BTW, it is off a Fiat 126

[Edited on 6/3/13 by Daddylonglegs]

I've just measured the movement and it is around 12mm. I cannot check the Sierra one as it is still in the car. But the shaft moves around the same when fitted and bled, so maybe I am just being paranoid?!?

rdodger

posted on 6/3/13 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
M10x1.25 Stainless Steel Bleed Nipple (Bleeder Brake Caliper Drum Slave Cylinder | eBay
Daddylonglegs

posted on 6/3/13 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks chap, I ended up using these guys, 3 x Male Unions and 1 x bleed screw (all M10 x 1.25) - £10.74 posted Most impressed for what are essentially uncommon bits, especially the bleed screw.

Also managed to get a second-hand remote reservoir for £11 posted. All I've got to do now is rehash the mounting so I can fit it all in Best get cracking if I want to be road tested and ready for Stoneleigh!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.