Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra diff rebuilding
iwbunting

posted on 19/10/04 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra diff rebuilding

Does anyone have any information on rebuilding a sierra differential.

I want to have my casing stove enamelled but cant find the info i need to rebuild it afterwards.

JohnN

posted on 19/10/04 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Ian,

I understand that the pre-load on the diff pinion shaft is a critical setting when re-building.

Seem to remember from english axle days that there may be a washer which crushes at the right pre-load, then again, maybe not. if you get it wrong, at best the axle will whine, at worst, wear out very quickly.

I'm guessing that a very old haynes manual might explain the re-build procedure & settings, whereas recent manuals (1990 onward...) are printed on crappy paper and are apt to describe most tasks as too complex for Mr Average.

John

nick205

posted on 19/10/04 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
I think the general opinion on here has been that if it 'needs' re-building it's easier and cheaper to get another one rather than try re-building it.

Nick

James

posted on 19/10/04 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iwbunting
I want to have my casing stove enamelled but cant find the info i need to rebuild it afterwards.

Is it expensive to do?

Just wondering what you'll gain from having it done?

If you just want it to look nice then a quick shot blast to clean it up followed by paint seems to work ok:

Is that better?
Is that better?

All the best,

James

Stu16v

posted on 20/10/04 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I want to have my casing stove enamelled

Seems a lot of hassle to go to, when the only person that is likely to see it on a regular basis is the MOT man once a year...

Dont just build it.....make it!

iwbunting

posted on 20/10/04 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah ok.I get the point.....Just clean and paint...What the hell...Thanks anyhow.
James

posted on 21/10/04 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stu16v
<snip>when the only person that is likely to see it on a regular basis is the MOT man once a year...

And, of course, anyone you care to run over!

James

Stu16v

posted on 21/10/04 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

And, of course, anyone you care to run over!

What, on a regular basis?

Iwbunting...dunno if I have may of offended (difficult to tell on t'internet...). If so, sorry...

I spent hours degresing and wire brushing my diff-and giving it a loverly coat of paint. Only to find out that it whined more than the Mrs. So I got another one out of the scrappy, washed it, and slapped it in. No more noise, and my car looks just the same now as it did before. The point I an feebly trying to make is that there is a shedload of work making your own car-but the time and cost in stove enamelling etc is better spent on bits where you/other people will really appreciate it.

Just thoughts/advice from the wearer of the 'Been there-done that' T-shirt...

[Edited on 21/10/04 by Stu16v]

Dont just build it.....make it!

Terrapin_racing

posted on 22/10/04 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
........... All diffs use a crush washer to set clearances removing and refitting oil seals can be troublesome. Start with your torque wrench on a low setting and keep upping slightly until you can check the setting at which it comes undone. Add 5 lbs to this to retighten.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.