Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wheel size, good or bad?
w.olly

posted on 8/12/13 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Wheel size, good or bad?

Hi all, i am not sure if it matters but as i think it roughly the same style of car it will be the same.

I have just got a Dutton Melos

and it is fitted with 13 inch wheels, now i was wanting to fit bigger wheels, wider for the better traction and diameter for ,looks, but when speaking to the previous owner he says that bigger diameter wheels are not good and its best to stick with the 13inch rims, for better handling.

so it it correct that it would be better with the 13`s than bigger wheels?

mookaloid

posted on 8/12/13 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
I think the general consensus will be stick with the 13s

Ultimate grip might not be as good as say 15s but 13s will break away more progressively and be more controllable.

I could be wrong but I think you will have a better choice of track tyres for 13s too.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

w.olly

posted on 8/12/13 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Ah yes, i didnt think of that, so maybe wider 13`s would be better, more grip but also the control?
mookaloid

posted on 8/12/13 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
The ones on the car should be fine.

Have you found the grip to be inadequate in some way?

Perhaps you should look at getting grippier tyres or checking the suspension joints/ geometry setup first?

w.olly

posted on 8/12/13 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
As it happens i have only done a few lengths of the street lol, just to try it out, i am just thinking on what to sort for when i get it on the road, i really want bigger wheels as for looks and to fill the archs, although i can lower it by welding on new top mounts for the coil overs. they are fully wound down now.
The road was slightly damp and spinning in second gear aswell. its new to me all the power for such a light car.

[Edited on 8/12/13 by w.olly]

mookaloid

posted on 8/12/13 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Well good luck with it but be careful, you might tend up with a car that handles worse not better.

daniel mason

posted on 8/12/13 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
get some decent soft rubber. i like the kumho v70 but others will say different

w.olly

posted on 8/12/13 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Well i will take your advice, stick with what it has, i was really just curious why the last owner said to keep with the 13`s, i would like to lower it a bit still, that cant do ant harm to handling? oh and also better tyres, i will have a look whats fitted and see what they are like.
Bluemoon

posted on 8/12/13 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by w.olly
Well i will take your advice, stick with what it has, i was really just curious why the last owner said to keep with the 13`s, i would like to lower it a bit still, that cant do ant harm to handling? oh and also better tyres, i will have a look whats fitted and see what they are like.

Lowering may affect handling also.. Generally the suspension is designed around a particular designed height, best take some advice dutton owners club members as they know the car well?

w.olly

posted on 9/12/13 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
I have been trying to join the Dutton owners club for weeks but i have had no reply. I cant even see how to contact the admin to get them to help me.

Well i will keep it as is and enjoy, bling it up for summer

all best

wolly

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.