Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Helmet Certification
indykid

posted on 16/5/05 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Helmet Certification

i've recently bought myself a simpson outlaw, mainly for use just on the road, but want to use it for the odd run what ya brung, and for trackdays too.

when i bought it i was told it was the motorsport version of the helmet, so doesnt come with kite mark and is not a motorbike helmet, so has no acu accreditation. but it is acceptable for use for tracdays, and rwyb etc etc

the thing that worries me is that it has no other approval markings on it.

so if i go to an event and they want to see my helmet, what's to say they'll let me run?

can anyone with a similar helmet tell me if that'll be right, or am i gonna turn up, to be turned away?

help, please.
if it's wrong, it's a f**king expensive hat
tom

ray.h.

posted on 16/5/05 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
My understanding is that if they check your helmet then they will need to see some kind of approval ie BS type A or B,ACU approval, EEC approval etc.
If the event is a Motor Sport Association event then they will almost defo need to see a BS Type A approval and if it passes their scruteneering then they will put an MSA sticker on it and you can use it at virtualy any motorsport event.Im sure most trackdays and rallies just need to see some kind off approval sticker and that it is in good condition.
A warning to anyone is to make sure any helmet you buy meets as high a standard as you can afford and don,t remove the stickers as your word is not good enough that they were there once.

P.S ring them up and find out their minimum requirements.Ankleboots and overalls or race suits might be needed also.

[Edited on 16/5/05 by ray.h.]

ray.h.

posted on 16/5/05 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
My veiw is NO STICKERS,NO GOOD.Sorry to put a damper on it but your life is worth more than a few bucks.
Idon,t know the helmet you have so it could be the best you can buy but i,d want some confirmation from the manufacturers before i,d use it on the road let alone the track.
Sorry to be a kill joy but i see kids racing karts every weekend, including my son, and a helmet is the most important thing you,ll ever buy if your going on track.

andy9391
Junior Builder

Posts 28
Registered 4/8/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: locost 1600 x/flow collins chassis modified

posted on 16/5/05 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
helmet's

first offyou cannot replace your head,second ive been involved in motorsport for the past 15 years and seen plenty of helmets good and bad,you should always buy a helmet that is marked with the correct markings for what you want to do,as for a company sending you 3 ACU stickers that is irressponable on the part of the supplier,and your daft by removing it,its there for a purpose
zilspeed

posted on 16/5/05 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
You really need a BS6658 type A. This means that the helmet has been independently tested.
ECE certification is actually done by the manufacturers themselves. This is one of the reasons why the RACMSA refuses to recognise this new standard.
In my Verrrrrrry humble opinion, buying a cheaper 'track day only' helmet is a waste of money. I know it was for me, because when I wanted to do proper motorsport this year I had to bin the non BS lid and get an appropriately stickered helmet.

If your helmet is BS stickered - type A - you'll be fine, if not you might be fecked.

Sorry

**Amended**
Forgot to add - ACU stickers mean sod all to the scrutineer. Snell or BS type A as detailed in the blue book. You then give him a quid for an RACMSA sticker and you're good to go. Must be full face as well for an open car.

[Edited on 16/5/05 by zilspeed]

SeaBass

posted on 16/5/05 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andy9391
first offyou cannot replace your head,second ive been involved in motorsport for the past 15 years and seen plenty of helmets good and bad,you should always buy a helmet that is marked with the correct markings for what you want to do,as for a company sending you 3 ACU stickers that is irressponable on the part of the supplier,and your daft by removing it,its there for a purpose

4 posts in and going strong... lol

My view is that helmets are type approved and that's all the sticker shows. If you remove it by mistake or otherwise what is the wrong with replacing it.

If your adding stickers to a helmet which hasn't isn't approved your a muppet fullstop.

I do find it dodge that a company is willing to send out stickers though.

Cheers

indykid

posted on 16/5/05 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
i've been told that simpson helmets are well known in the motorsport scene, so should be acceptable, with no certification stickers, but it sounded to me like i was being fobbed off.

looks like it's going back then. anyone know of a nice helmet, in black, that is available in a XXL? i've got £350 quid to play with now. i bought it originally as it was the only helmet that has fit my head and looked good, oh so good, but if its no good for anything, then it'll have to be changed.

tom

it looks like this V but in black Rescued attachment SIM4001W.jpg
Rescued attachment SIM4001W.jpg

Peteff

posted on 16/5/05 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
They are American and made to Snell certification which is supposed to exceed BS but is not recognised over here. The Outlaw is not road legal for bikes but it does not need to be to use it in a car. They do the Bandit which is road legal and is available in big head sizes here

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mad Dave

posted on 16/5/05 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
I have the original Simpson Bandit and heard the do not meet the BS standard because of the size of the viewing aperture. I admit it is very narrow compared to my Aria but you get used to it. Simpson have now released a version with a larger aperture for this reason.

Dave

PS 'The Stig' wears a Simpson RX

indykid

posted on 16/5/05 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
i've tried the bandit, and super bandit, both in super big, but they are narrower at the top than the outlaw, so i end up half looking through the chin bar, as i have a wide top to my head.

it appears, it'll end up a dead loss, so i'm now looking away from simpson, probably at bell, or something else like that.

anyone know a good helmet supplier in west yorkshire? there's plenty of bike places about, but it's all jazzy shite covered in graphics! might have to dig deep, and try demon thieves. i've tried motoretta in hipperholme, they sold me the outlaw.

cheers all
tom

[Edited on 16/5/05 by indykid]

Volvorsport

posted on 17/5/05 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
ive just bought my helmet from demon tweeks , for a sprint this sunday , i told them it must meet BS 6658-85 type A - not a problem sir , in stock , in your size .

Anyway - its still not fire retardent material , altho it will pass , apparently - ill let you know !!!!!

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Peteff

posted on 17/5/05 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine had the same problem, he tried everything in the shop and still couldn't find anyting to fit. After the last one, the shop assistant told him the only thing bigger was the box it came in . He ended up with a Roof helmet in a different size which fitted him tight but was told it would slacken off with wear. He still wears it so it must be o.k.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.