Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: which Kit
Andrew+dad

posted on 19/7/05 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
which Kit

im thinking of building and trying to convince my mum to let me build a locost style kit car but i dotn know which one to go for

im about 6"2 and still growing and about 120 kg give or take a bit

so need as much space as i can get

so will i need to go for one of the bigger ones or will i fit in the others

what should i go for ??

carnut

posted on 19/7/05 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
ok own up, which joker said robin hood?

DarrenW

posted on 19/7/05 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
You missed the best one off your list - Mac#1 ZR.

You also missed off MNR. Have you done your research thoroughly so far???

Still at school, 6'2", 120Kg and still growing..........what is your nickname???

Andrew+dad

posted on 19/7/05 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
usually sexy man beast or loveable swamp donkey lol

and i never siad i had all the options did i lol
the whole point of this post is to find out what ive missed off and get more info on the best options

if you think i should look at something please can you point me towards a company website

[Edited on 19/7/05 by Andrew+dad]

smart51

posted on 19/7/05 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
MNR's VortX is a little wider than a book locost and has a slightly narrower tunnel. It's quite roomy, for a seven.
DarrenW

posted on 19/7/05 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Good point well made Swampy man beast thing!! LOL

What shows have you been to? Thats where i started.

Andrew+dad

posted on 19/7/05 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
strangely enough none lol

gonna go to knebworth classic and kit car show on august 27/8th august isnt it its right near me
as in i could walk there in less then half an hour

Lotusmark2

posted on 19/7/05 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
I'm 6ft 8 and 300lbs and the only one I could get near to fitting in was the Viento (even that was a little too short on leg room.)
scoobyis2cool

posted on 19/7/05 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
I'll second Mac1, their customer service is second to none and the kits look high quality too. If I was doing another one they'd be my first choice

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
indykid

posted on 19/7/05 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
if i was building another, and couldn't build an indy, it'd be a vortX, although, i'd want to rework the rounded section that leads the flat side panel section into the rounded bit over the back arch. (well i know what i mean!)

the chassis just looks so accomplished.

scooby, if you'd go mac1, why wouldn't you build another indy? what's superior about their kit, purely out of curiosity?

tom

mstepien

posted on 19/7/05 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
I recommend you going to the show. In my case I've made an on-line research (it took me almost two years ;D ) but finally went to the show to choose from the final list of four (tiger avon, mk indy, mnr vortx, luego velocity) - mostly to see the shilouette by myself (photos don't always give you all the info) and to try to fit in, as I'm also quite big (184 cm, short legs, 95kg)
And good luck...
Michal

scoobyis2cool

posted on 19/7/05 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Tom, don't get me wrong, it's not that I wouldn't like to build another Indy. It's just that I've found the MAC1 guys to be so helpful - they've given me tons of advice and I'm not even building one of their kits!

I paid them a visit during my build to pick up some parts and was really impressed with their set up, nice big workshop with a range of cars sitting around, all at different levels of build.

As for the kits, I don't think there's much to choose between the ZR and the Indy, they both look like well designed and built kits at good prices.

Pete

[Edited on 19/7/05 by scoobyis2cool]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Andrew+dad

posted on 19/7/05 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
anyone know the mac 1 website ???

ive looked at the mnr have been for the last hour or so and it doesnt really grab me i dot know what it is i dont really like the whole built in aero screen thing with the two bulges i dont know why just doesnt really "float my boat" lol

scoobyis2cool

posted on 19/7/05 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew+dad
anyone know the mac 1 website ???

http://www.mac1motorsports.co.uk/index.html

Pete

DarrenW

posted on 19/7/05 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Mac#1 website doesnt do them enough justice. You need to visit them to really appreciate the service and products. The parts selection is huge and prices are really competitive. Initial costs can be higher on paper but overall theres nothing in it - additionally the fantastic service is difficult to put a value to. You can choose any o fthe stages and the way the pricing is structured you end up with a quality product and hardly notice the spend over time. If you dont need something at a given point they wont try and sell it to you - i have often been steered away from what i thought i needed next in favour of bits that are more useful. You dont have to be a Mac#1 kit buyer to enjoy there advice and good parts supply - but it helps. If you are quick in visitting Mac#1 you may be lucky to be taken out in their Police car demonstrator (ie before a lucky punter comes along and buys it!) - it has a well sorted Zetec on jenvey throttle bodies - its soooo nice.

I think the MNR VortX looks fantastic. Again you need to see it in the flesh. It is a fresh design and nicely finished off. Marc and Chris are also 2 of the nicest guys you are likely to meet.
Unfortunately when i went to MK they were too busy to try and sell me a kit. Above all they are engineers and dont go in for the hard sell at all, it was a shame as that was what i was looking for at the time so i could appreciate fully what they had to offer. This was the only thing that put me off - i didnt feel that i was in their 'click'.

All my own oppinions of course.

jollygreengiant

posted on 19/7/05 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Go to a show and try as many as you can. Personally I'm 6' 4" & about 19 stone (about 120kg). So I went viento (Mainly cos their close by)

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

DarrenW

posted on 19/7/05 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
Go to a show and try as many as you can. Personally I'm 6' 4" & about 19 stone (about 120kg). So I went viento (Mainly cos their close by)

You dont look that big with your 5 point harness on sitting in that rally seat!!!

mookaloid

posted on 19/7/05 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew+dad
ive looked at the mnr have been for the last hour or so and it doesnt really grab me i dot know what it is i dont really like the whole built in aero screen thing with the two bulges i dont know why just doesnt really "float my boat" lol

If you want the best engineered chassis with the best racing experience to assist with setup then MNR is the the best car of it's type and price out there.

If all you are bothered about is looks then go for a robin hood.

The Mk Indy and Mac#1 are both excellent good value products and you get a pretty good service from both companies.

I think GTS and Luego are closer to 'book' than the rest and if that is what you are looking for then take that route.

Hope that helps

Mark

fesycresy

posted on 19/7/05 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Opinions are like a***holes as they say.

You really need to visit the factory and get your own feel for the company. I contacted a certain company and they didn't seem interested in selling me a kit.

The builds are really straight forward, so don't worry about build manuals. The are some excellent build diaries (Hellfires etc),
but it's always good to know someones on the other end of the line if you need them.

I'm 6'5 and fit in mine no problem. I've had the pedals offset and the roll hoop raised an 1".

Look at the two you've missed, MAC#1 and MNR.

Hellfire

posted on 19/7/05 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Location should also be considered unless you don't mind paying postage costs, or don't mind travelling.

When we build another, it will be another MK...............

Dillinger1977

posted on 19/7/05 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
thats a good point. im 1hr30 away from MNR and have done quite a few round trips so far. it helps to find out if theres someone local nearby building the same make of car, that way you can 'share' on the trips up to the factory and pick up/drop off other peoples stuff while you are there. then they can do the same for you next time

[Edited on 19/7/05 by Dillinger1977]

-Rog

James

posted on 19/7/05 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
If all you are bothered about is looks then go for a robin hood.

What, coz the Robin Hood is the best looking car around?

The GTS seven is really nice too:

http://www.gtstuning.co.uk

They do a +4" version too for big boys and big engines!

HTH,
James

[Edited on 19/7/05 by James]

[Edited on 19/7/05 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

ChrisW

posted on 19/7/05 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew+dadim about 6"2 and still growing and about 120 kg give or take a bit

You sound like a Viento sized builder to me I'm about 6'3 and fit in perfectly with plenty of space behind the seats for a bag or two of shopping!

Chris

Alez

posted on 21/7/05 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Also take a look at Stuart Taylor
JoelP

posted on 21/7/05 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
id build an MNR, conviniently they're close to me. Not much fun travelling from herts though!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.