Author: Subject: Interesting Debate ?
Jon Ison

posted on 31/7/05 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting Debate ?

whats your thoughts ??

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=197154&f=23&h=0

theconrodkid

posted on 31/7/05 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
2 lorries blocking the motorway,nothing new there then,on the other hand some muppet cutting in at the last moment and in front of an artic driven with attitude is a recipie for disaster.
end of the day driving standards are soooooooo crap these days its a wonder there arnt more crashes

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

bob

posted on 31/7/05 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Its not interesting

Andrew+dad

posted on 31/7/05 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
imho if there are still 2 lanes there to be used they should be used and then the filtering should take place at the end where the cones are staggered .......
Deckman001

posted on 31/7/05 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
As an ex truck driver and now a car driver I can see both sides of this, It used to really wind me up knowing how much room I NEEDED to slow and stop in most situations also knowing that if I left the necessary gap required there was always some TWAT prepared to fill that safety gap by his or her car !! Little did they realise the impending danger of them being totally flattened by my truck.
Once having been given the bird by some driver after i had sounded me horn as he tried to drive me off the road by forcing his way into the lane I was in, I VERY nearly drove me truck through a set of railings to get to him with the front of my truck !! I only stopped myself just before my truck went over the curb !!!!! I know i would have been guilty of manslaughter but at the time it didn't matter in my mind
I have now given up driving trucks and stay in cars !! mind you there are still people prepared to fill my safety gap with their car in an attempt to gain an advantage over every body else !!

Rant over

Jason

Syd Bridge

posted on 31/7/05 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
In Auz, at least the bit where I come from, you can be done for not filtering in one for one. ie 'zipper fashion'. Charge is impeding the normal flow of traffic. Cops stand at junctions where traffic is merging, and pick 'em off like flies.

Under the same 'impeding the normal flow of traffic', slow drivers holding up a line of traffic, are also booked. We need the same offence over here, just to get the people who drive at 20mph everywhere, off the roads. Most can't see properly, hence the slow speed.

It's been a bad day!

Syd.

JoelP

posted on 31/7/05 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
must confess, i do that too. I also believe in more use of the signs 'use both lanes' and 'merge in turn', it really pisses me off either way, when people move over too early, and when people pass me when i have moved over. Hence (when im in the van) i usually block the outside lane(s), then i arent stealing a place, nor am i having people taking the pisss by taking my place. It would be preferable though if people used both/all lanes til the point of merging, especially when the queue is going back onto a roundabout etc.

By blocking a lane, you get a queue of cars behind you, when you eventually reach the cones, the traffic is now using two lanes sucessfully, and you have essentially halved the length of the queue.

andkilde

posted on 3/8/05 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
No firm opinion on the truck's blocking tactics, I see pluses and minuses.

Perhaps I'm getting old, but I prefer to merge early and safely, if I lose a few moments I'm comforted by the fact that I'm not losing an hour filling out accident reports.

I've seen some real idiots maintain full speed alongside stopped traffic trying to race to merge first -- they get their just reward eventually, unfortunately taking others with them...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyps

posted on 3/8/05 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
I think the trucks are wrong to do this - I understand about the cutting in and the risk of getting squashed, but always wonder why truck drivers think they have a right to think they can control traffic like this. They get mightily pissed off when a car blocks them!

Merge in turn zipper fashion is how it should be done, shorter queues result from it, and the traffic should keep moving.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.