Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Someone with a lathe ...
RazMan

posted on 27/2/06 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Someone with a lathe ...

... to turn me a couple wishbone pivots.

I need some 1/2" x 240mm high tensile bar with 25mm of 1/2"UNF tapped each end. Preferably plated but hey - beggars can't be choosers!

Beer tokens waiting

[Edited on 27-2-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BKLOCO

posted on 27/2/06 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
I can do that for you Mike but need to source the material from somewhere.
What was the name of the Hydraulic people in Colchester?

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

RazMan

posted on 27/2/06 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Brian you are an absolute star!

Anglia Hose & Hydraulic - 263 London Road near the garden centre.
Tel: 01206 212168

[Edited on 27-2-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega 24 v6

posted on 27/2/06 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
ERM if you tap 1/2 inch round bar with a 1/2 inch tap then surely you'll need the optional box of invisible air threads
Methinks there's a typo somewhere.

RazMan

posted on 27/2/06 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Ahem - you are quite right of course

A die might be better in this instance

Cheers,
Raz

omega 24 v6

posted on 27/2/06 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
AH it all makes sense now
RazMan

posted on 27/2/06 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
Rescued attachment Suspension pins.jpg
Rescued attachment Suspension pins.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

BKLOCO

posted on 28/2/06 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Mike the best I can find in 1/2 inch is some silver steel.
Not exactly high tensile. From memory its a high carbon steel with about 1.5% carbon, about .5% chromium and a touch of Manganese as well.
Generally used for shafts etc. in its un-hardened state but when hardened can be used for all sorts of things. Punches dies and cutting tools to name but a few.
It should be ok un hardened I think but perhaps some others with more application knowledge will advise.

RazMan

posted on 28/2/06 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
I remember from my school days that silver steel is tougher than mild but otherwise I'm a complete numpty on such matters so I would have to rely on the knowledge of others too.

Cheers,
Raz

flak monkey

posted on 28/2/06 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Silver steel is:
About 1.2% carbon, 0.45% chromium, 0.3% manganese.

Its very brittle if hardened, but can be tempered, not an easy job to do accurately at home though.

As for the specific properties of it, do a search on google, i am sure it will turn up what you need.

Probably the best or easiest thing to do if you cant get any HT bar is get some oversized HT studding and turn it down and recut threads on it. Bit of a guff way around it, but if its the only way...

David

[Edited on 28/2/06 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

RazMan

posted on 28/2/06 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Probably the best or easiest thing to do if you cant get any HT bar is get some oversized HT studding and turn it down and recut threads on it. Bit of a guff way around it, but if its the only way...

Thats a novel idea there Flak. I've been searching for spec comparisons but have come up with zilch so far

Maybe stainless would be ok?

[Edited on 28-2-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

flak monkey

posted on 28/2/06 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
If you wanted to try that idea you would need to go upto M16 studding to start with. As its got a core diameter of 13.5mm, and you need an OD of 12.7mm

Stainless - Been there several times. Its no where near the strength of HT bolts...sorry. Fatigues quite badly as well I think.

David

[Edited on 28/2/06 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

BKLOCO

posted on 28/2/06 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
We may just have some big cap heads laying about but not sure about the length. I don't really want to use silver steel it's evil stuff to machine. Leave it with me Mike.
By the way I got my hose end done £6.00 really nice people too.

RazMan

posted on 28/2/06 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't think that it would be such a pain to find the right material - or am I over speccing the stuff?

Bearing in mind these pins will be supporting each corner of my car (along with shocks & wishbones) can I get away with a lower spec?

Cheers,
Raz

RazMan

posted on 28/2/06 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BKLOCO
We may just have some big cap heads laying about but not sure about the length. I don't really want to use silver steel it's evil stuff to machine. Leave it with me Mike.
By the way I got my hose end done £6.00 really nice people too.

That's good news Brian - I found them really helpfull too and was really suprised when they made my adaptors while I waited. A refreshing change from some companies I could mention.

Cheers,
Raz

Peteff

posted on 1/3/06 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
We may just have some big cap heads laying about

Are they 12.9? Most of the ones I've used have been.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

BKLOCO

posted on 3/3/06 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
I,ve got your wishbone pivots Mike.
I'll bring them round in the morning.
How did the plastic bending go?

RazMan

posted on 3/3/06 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Woohoo!

That's brilliant Brian! I'll be around all day.

I havent had a chance to look at the plastic bending yet - I've been bending ears at Aeon today about my front section. It really exists but it is still not finished and all I get is 'ready next week'. Trouble is it has been 'next week' since Xmas!

Got my doors to play with now anyway so it isn't all bad.

Cheers,
Raz

Mix

posted on 3/3/06 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
At the risk of upsetting people, here we go.

You seem to be concerned about the shear strength of the wishbone pivot. From memory the shear strength is generally asumed to be 60% of the tensile strength.
Before spending 'hard earned' it may be worth considering what this pivot, (a 12mm bar), is attachet to:

I'm guesing but how about:

A 3mm mild steel braket attached to a 1.2 / 1.5mm RHS box section.

Under these conditions which do you think the more likely to yield?

Mick

BKLOCO

posted on 3/3/06 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Your'e not upsetting me Mick it's a very valid point.
Unfortunately the issue wasn't really the material spec as much as the fact that Mike couldn't find a supplier of 1/2" UNF bolts longer than 8" and he needed 81/2" to get the nut on with 2 full threads showing past the nylock to keep Mr SVA happy.
I agree than a lump of EN1a would probably be strong enough in this application (especially in double sheer) but it's not good practice.
Brian.

RazMan

posted on 3/3/06 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
.............. and I'm just happy to have my front end firmly supported on non-bendy bolts

Cheers,
Raz

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.