Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My first car.
Oliver Coles

posted on 3/4/06 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
My first car.

I have decided ( yet again) that my first car will be an austin maestro 1300. Does anyone know on things to look out for when buying one?

Only 16 and i have already had my midlife crisis

zilspeed

posted on 3/4/06 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
R
U
S
T

TPG

posted on 3/4/06 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
You've buying very old technology there.Not just rust,oil leaks,quick failing drive train.Think Austin 1100 and the Maestro is just behind it in engineering advances.I would go for an early modern car,still cheap but you'll not spend as long under it.Early 106.Cit' Ax.Early Rover 200.Honda Civic,Fords of varoius sizes.Even Fiats....Good luck with what ever you get.

..Which was nice..

Spyderman

posted on 3/4/06 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Ignition modules are prone to damp and don't like being left out overnight.
Make sure car has not been warmed up before you test it. Check it 1st thing in morning if possible.

Spyderman

kev R1

posted on 3/4/06 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
are you sure you're feelng alright!!!!

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!11

dilley

posted on 3/4/06 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
scrap,scrap,scrap buy it strip it race it. dont buy a dodo
donut

posted on 3/4/06 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Apart from being really crap cars (i used to sell new ones and they were crap when new!) look out for dodgy gearbox's.

Or get something german or japaneese!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 3/4/06 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Where are you going to find one? For a first car get yourself something like a cheap Micra off an old lady who only uses it to go to church on Sundays. It'll save you a lot of grief.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

wilkingj

posted on 3/4/06 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Damn.. Just scrapped the wifes micra last week, in fine fettle, just needed 2 outer sills and one inner sill. (inner one was a bugger to get at.).
Other faults were handbrake cable sticking a bit, and one rusty brake pipe, two owners father in law and my wife... only ever thrashed by me

Its a pity as its been at the back of the house gathering dust. I would have given it to you.

now its too late... However, I have a nice micra Radiator, loads of bulbs, fuses, relays, pipes clips, and other sundry bits for my next build . its now residing in a resting yard at The Breakers in Rampton, before going on to the great carpark in the sky.

Sorry mate..

I replaced it with a 1.1 Fiesta off Ebay for £275, that just needed a new starter motor and alternator (£25 from Rampton Breakers)

C'est la vie

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 3/4/06 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
im definately with pete on this one, you want a low mileage old persons car. Should be in top nick after a simlpe service, and it will only cost peanuts. My little citroen ax, i bought it on 14k miles 2 years ago for £300. Its now done 37k, and ive done very little to it. 3 or 4 engine services, 2 pairs of pads, of of discs, and a thermo housing. Thats 23k cheap miles!
Simon

posted on 3/4/06 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
im definately with pete on this one, you want a low mileage old persons car.

If they're old enough, you might get yourself a Moggy Minor.

If they're really old and perhaps dead, you'll also get a free hat

ATB

Simon

rusty nuts

posted on 3/4/06 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
April fools day was the first! Your not serious are you? Tell me your not.
Simon

posted on 3/4/06 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
This may be of help:

http://www.an-racing.co.uk/page6.html
http://www.an-racing.co.uk/page11.html - watch the vid

ATB

Simon

COREdevelopments

posted on 3/4/06 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
WHY would you want one of these???????? my folks had one and it rusted befor we even got to the beach!!!!!!! plus you might not even find one as they are very shy and only tend to come out on sundays (dry sundays that is) get a real first car MINI

NS Dev

posted on 3/4/06 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
as a serious answer here, don;t do it they are shite.

I normally HATE most french cars but I have to say that as a first car and a small cheap car you CANNOT beat a Peugeot 205.

£300-£400 buys you an absolute mint one with 12 months MOT and some tax.

They don't rust, anywhere, ever, so if one has, find another one.

The parts are LUDICROUSLY cheap. I got the long side (2 piece with support bearing) driveshaft for my old 205 GTI for £27 brand new, by way of an example.

Compared to a maestro the engines and gearboxes are streets ahead. They are still hardly great, but much better than the BL crap and if it does break, there are another billion of the flipping french things in every breakers yard at the mo.

My mate owns a Pug 205 1.1 XE, just as a daily runabout to save his legs on his bike. It's a 1992 one and was £400 3 years ago. It needed £15 worth of rear beam rubber mounts for the first MOT then nothing at all for the next two.

He's just bought, as it happens, a 205 "CJ" 1.4 cabriolet for a summer laugh for £100. it's a 1993 K reg and has a broken gearbox. We have a new box for £50 so for £150 he now has a perfectly good open top car for the summer, even taxed and mot'd!!!

can't say much fairer.

(must add this is not a biased opinion. I have only owned 2 pug 205's, and one of those was one that I built into a RWD Vauxhall 16v powered rally car so that hardly counts. The gti was just bought to see what the fuss was about and so I could be objective in my opinons about them. I found it great fun, revvy and sprightly, but understeery then oversteery and like drigin a tin car everywhere, not my sort of car at all but sSOOOOOOOOOOO cheap!!!)

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

omega0684

posted on 3/4/06 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
check engine mounts...........................just incase it falls out!

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

andyps

posted on 4/4/06 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donut
Apart from being really crap cars (i used to sell new ones and they were crap when new!) look out for dodgy gearbox's.

Or get something german or japaneese!

Great advice - the gearbox was a VW part on the Maestro, so following this advice watch for the dodgy german gearbox in a Maestro, or dodgy german everything in a german car

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

rusty nuts

posted on 4/4/06 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
But how often do you have problems with a gearbox in a Golf? BL cocked that up as well

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.