Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Starter Motor / Flywheel curse - HELP :(
MikeR

posted on 28/4/06 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Starter Motor / Flywheel curse - HELP :(

Ok, I'm cursed. (1600 crossflow)

When i first put my engine / flywheel / starter in it didn't work. Eventually sorted it out matching a caterham flywheel to my pre-engaged starter. Worked perfectly.

Then I got my exhaust and it fouled the headers so.....

got another flywheel and intertia starter and now i've got a problem.

Off hte car the starter turns without a problem, the pinion moves really easily. On the car it just goes click & the whole engine locks up - really really difficult to push with the car in 4th and no plugs in the engine. Eventually it gives and will move as normally as a car in gear with no plugs in the engine.

Tried it a few times and still now joy.

Suggestions?
(and if it involves new parts, where from, i'm getting pished off with this and almost want to throw money at it - but don't suggest a new exhaust, it owes me 200 quid including petrol to pick it up)

theconrodkid

posted on 28/4/06 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
is it the right ring gear for inertia?the teeth have a champher,pre engaged dont

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

MikeR

posted on 28/4/06 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
The two 'spare' flywheels don't have the chamfer. I'll have a look in a day or two at the one installed.

How much is a ring gear and being lazy whats the going rate to fit one?

Would that stop the who drive train though? Thats whats really worrying me. I can't imagine it being that much more difficult to push the car with the starter engaged and jamed into engagement (without power going to it)

britishtrident

posted on 28/4/06 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Ok first thing is the only way free a jammed inertia starter is to put it into top gear and rock the car back and forwards -- do anything else and something will get damaged -- most likely the bendix gear end of starter armature will get bent. Really think this may have already occured you should check this.

As already pointed out by theconrodkid ring gear for inertia starters are chamfered on the gearbox of the gear. Also it is essential that the shim plate is fitted between the engine and gear box this provides location for the starter. Ford inetria starters come in 2 main types -- 3 bolt and 2 bolt the 2 bolt goes back to th Days of the Anglia and Cortina Mk1 1200. On Fords 2 bolt starters are very bad for jamming and destroying bendix drives and ring gear particularly on the 1500 Kent so the 3 bolt was introduced with the Mk2 Cortina but some car particularly Lotuses retain the 2 bolt.

The bendix drive gear on the inertia starter can be either 9 tooth or 11 tooth not sure which was the right one for the Xflo.

[Edited on 28/4/06 by britishtrident]

[Edited on 28/4/06 by britishtrident]

rusty nuts

posted on 28/4/06 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
The earlier bendix had 9 teeth the later 10 , Ford modified them about 1970. If you can find one to fit with your exhaust I would suggest a pre engaged starter would be more reliable. As BT has already suggested if the starter jams put the car into top and rock it I used to find rocking backwards most effective.
TL

posted on 28/4/06 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Is it possible that the only reason it feels free when fitted is that by the time you have pushed the car a few feet, the pinion has screwed itself down the shaft, and disengaged? (as it should when the engine is turning faster than the starter). This may not help solve the problem, but you may be fooling yourself into thinking that it has freed-up, when in fact it might have just diengaged, and you are not turning the starter at all. Next time you do the push-the- car- a-few-feet- test (as it's officially known) keep an eye on the square stub of shaft (if there is one) protruding from the rear of the starter, to see if it is actually turning when it feels free. Applies to inertia starters only, I think.

HTH

Cheers,

Terry

MikeR

posted on 28/4/06 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
oooh, interesting idea watching the starter.

I have got the metal plate which i had to butcher to get fit. I know it works as everything was ok on the old starter.

When i span the starter up outside of hte engine it seemed to spin fine and the shaft didn't look bent (but i wasn't paying huge attention to how straight it was.

It is a three hole starter.

Any idea where i can find a pre-engaged starter that doesn't have the pre-engaged bit on the top at 1:30 o'clock viewed from the front of the engine (ie looking at the rear face of the starter?)

rusty nuts

posted on 28/4/06 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
May have one in the garage, can take to Stoneleigh if thats any help.
MikeR

posted on 29/4/06 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
that would be fantastic, hopefully i'll get a chance tomorrow to quickly remove the manifold and try the old pre-engaged starter. If that works i know i've got the wrong ring gear / the flywheel is ok. If it doesn't i'm going to poo myself and throw toys out of the pram.

I'll u2u you my phone number. Should be there early on - got a list of nearly 50 items i want to buy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.