Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sva requirements for handbrake/ratchet
pathfinder

posted on 4/7/06 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
sva requirements for handbrake/ratchet

I don’t have a full copy of the sva manual and was just wondering if there is a section in it regarding the handbrake and ratchet mechanism!

Do I need a certain amount of clicks to pass?
Dose the handbrake location matter etc etc.

I’m trying to get away from using the standard Sierra jobbie and need to know the rules if anyone could copy the relevant section for me or knows the rules, help would be appreciated!

Cheers Chaps

andybod

posted on 4/7/06 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
not read sva manual but for mot it must have reserve travel ie not hit the stop at the top i would think the same
Chippy

posted on 5/7/06 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
Like many things, the SVA requirements are totaly different to the MOT.
Section 6, sub section 5 states.
Check the hand brake control in the fully released position (if in the specified area) and the gear lever in all forward gear positions, that any surface contactable with a 165mm dia sphere does not have a radious of curvature of less than 3.2mm.
NOTE: The requirement of item 5 relating to the hand brake control do not apply if, 1, the handbrake control is mounted on or under the instrument panel, and, 2, when it is in the released position, there is no possability of the occupants of the vehicle contacting it in the event of a frontal impact to the vehicle.
Section 16.1, subsection C. states.
Parking. capable of being opperated, 1 easily by the driver from the driving possition. 2Whether the vehicle is stationary or moving (it must be possable to apply and release the brake while the vehicle is moving), 3 On all the wheels of at least one axle enabling the vehicle to be held on an up, or down gradient. 4 Using a control which is independant of the service brake, and capable once applied of being maintained in the on possition solely by a mechanical means.
Section 16.3, subsection 3. states.
Parking brake control/Mechanical components. A With the brake in both the on and off positions repectively, check the , actuating linkage, cables and assosiated components for suitability of, 1 Design, 2 construction methods/materials, 3 Location, 4Mounting/fixing to vehicle structure.
And that just about sums it up, with no reference to the amount of clicks. Plus surpise, surprise they dont even check the horn works. Hope all that dross helps. regards Ray.

Marcus

posted on 5/7/06 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
There was a guy on here recently (sorry can't remember your name!) who used a linear actuator to operate the handbrake - so no lever at all. He passed SVA like this, not sure what MOT would make of it, but it worked.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 5/7/06 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
The thing to do is to be sensible about it - although there may not be anything written down in the SVA manual, the tester can still fail something that he considers to be not working correctly.

So, apart from handbrake efficiency that is described in the manual, just make sure that the handbrake comes on after 2 or 3 clicks and not when it's fully at the end of its travel. The tester will be hauling on the lever quite hard during the efficiency tests, so make sure it's securely fitted to the chassis. Starting off properly adjusted will also cater for any cable stretch that may happen during the tests.

David

Baldrick

posted on 5/7/06 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, I thought he was going to pull mine right out of the car he was pulling it up so hard. To be fair he was just trying his best to get the pass reading - and did.
pathfinder

posted on 5/7/06 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
spot on gents, thanks for all the help
britishtrident

posted on 5/7/06 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Don't make the cable too tight -- it needs movement to operate the self-adjuster and allow the hydraulic brake to function.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.