Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Race Car Transporter - Box Van?
lsdweb

posted on 2/10/06 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Race Car Transporter - Box Van?

Hi All

I have an enclosed trailer for carrying my single seater and, when I eventually get the car finished, it will be great for events.

However, we're about to buy a caravan (no jokes please!) so I have a dilemma. Taking the wife and junior to events would be a nice way to pass a weekend and not feel too selfish about it! We could stay in the caravan and have all the comforts of home. But... I can't tow both the trailer and the caravan. So, I'm considering my options.

First thought would be to sell the trailer and buy a van / small lorry, big enough to carry the single seater and powerful enough to tow the caravan as well. I've got an LGV Class 3 licence but would rather avoid going to something that large that would require plating etc.

Would a transit style box van with tail lift (extended) be suitable? The race car is 6' wide and around 400kg?

Regards

Wyn

graememk

posted on 2/10/06 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
buy a camper van and tow the trailer

mike smith1

posted on 2/10/06 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by graememk
buy a camper van and tow the trailer

Thats exactly my suggestion

Catpuss

posted on 2/10/06 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Yep same idea too. Although (after recently helping my mate sell his one). It can cost you around 9 grand for a nice VW camper + cost of tuning and upgrade of engine to pull a car.

One of those generic camper vans would do the job fine. I saw one on Wed towing a Nissan Micra down the motorway at a great rate of knots.

NS Dev

posted on 2/10/06 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
yea, same again, camper plus your existing trailer.

Failing that (if campers are too pricey, and that does seem to be the way) then a non-taillift transit box van (ex BT ideal) with rear roller shutter, chop out the rear floor behind the axle line and make it beavertail, and lower the top part of the rollershutter to suit so it still reaches the floor.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

irvined

posted on 2/10/06 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Should be no problem - there is plenty of space left in the back of an LDV luton with a seven in it.

You'll want to weld in some bits to strap your car to, they don't move when your driving around, but I was a bit nervous about going up some of the hills to its new home

Tail lift was no problem, i used an engine crane to support the rear, and have used a trolly jack when i didnt have the crane, the front end went on the taillift without any problem, it was rated to 500kg, but it was too short, so welding something on the back will solve that and you should be good to go.

LDV's are a bit wobbly, I've used a merc sprinter to the same effect, and it was much more stable, and got about twice the mpg too.

http://irvined.blogspot.com

Coose

posted on 2/10/06 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
A Transit Luton might not be a bad idea - massively cheaper than a camper and the tail lift SWL appears to be 500kg, which should be ok for your car: -

http://www.rgr-garages.co.uk/vans.htm

I know this is a hire van, and a new one at that but it gives you some idea.

Also, for inspiriation, have a look here.
As you can see, it's a Cargo with a tail lift with removable extended ramps....

Spin 'er off Well...

iank

posted on 2/10/06 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coose
Also, for inspiriation, have a look here.
As you can see, it's a Cargo with a tail lift with removable extended ramps....

That looks horribly unsafe - I certainly wouldn't stand where the guy in the white tee shirt is. Extending ramps seriously decreases their safe working load.

Coose

posted on 2/10/06 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
That was I, welding up my trailing arm bracket! It's very stable actually - I thought the same as you until I used it. We've had people stood on it also and it isn't a problem!

The truck used to belong to Westfield and was used as their race support vehicle. We can get two se7ens in the back (even Daxes!) without any problem whatsoever...

Spin 'er off Well...

Rebuilda

posted on 2/10/06 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
try one of these

Ex sunlight laundry van, based on twin wheel transit. custom ally bodywork and easy to maintain. getting rare now but absolutely perfect for what you want. used mine to carry numerous duttons which are bigger and heavier than your single seater. loaded will still pull a caravan at 50-60 mph without any trouble. mine was scrapped about three months ago but they do come up on autotrader and ebay from time to time. they were converted from transit chassis cabs by dormobile so try searching on that. Rescued attachment DSC00088.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC00088.JPG

Rebuilda

posted on 2/10/06 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
oops

Really sorry, forgot to resize the picture, but you can see just how long it is. the back is only a foot off the floor and ramps can be about 6 ft long. had phaetons and legerras in that no problems.
lsdweb

posted on 2/10/06 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys

I did consider a camper / motor home but to get the level of comfort we're aiming for with a caravan, I'd be looking at £20k plus Then you've got the problem of how do you get about when you're on holiday - trailer and small car - more ££££! Also, because I've got a works car and a fuel card, towing a caravan is pretty cheap so long trips abroad are not oo much of a worry!

A decent sized (the car is a lot bigger than a 7!) Luton would be ideal provided it had a decent enough engine to pull its load and a caravan.

marcjagman

posted on 2/10/06 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
I have a VW LT35 transporter with tow bar coming up for sale soon. That any good?
lsdweb

posted on 2/10/06 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Can you get a 6' wide, 12' long car inside it??
marcjagman

posted on 2/10/06 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
I have a VW LT35 transporter with tow bar coming up for sale soon. That any good?
Andy North

posted on 3/10/06 at 05:13 AM Reply With Quote
Try these guys

linky

http://www.sbmcc.co.uk/

I have been thinking of something along the lines of a 7.5 ton truck to get me around Europe. SWMBO is not keen though

Kelvin

posted on 4/10/06 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Old horse box.

Can be picked up for silly money and normally come with nicely appointed living quarters. will fit your car in no problems at all and also has the benefit of a good duty ramp. Plus you can drive them on a normal licence as they are normally 7.5 tonners.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lsdweb

posted on 4/10/06 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys

The horse box option sounds pretty good - I'd just struggle to hand my cash to someone who insists on putting the word 'Horses' on their horse box - do they think we're all stupid??!

Wyn

Andy North

posted on 5/10/06 at 05:13 AM Reply With Quote
I checked around on insurance and if I was transporting a car I was told I would need a traders policy. However, I could get cheap insurance if it was a 'horse' box
gazza285

posted on 5/10/06 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin
Old horse box.

Can be picked up for silly money and normally come with nicely appointed living quarters. will fit your car in no problems at all and also has the benefit of a good duty ramp. Plus you can drive them on a normal licence as they are normally 7.5 tonners.

Only if you passed your test before 1st Jan 1997, then the law changed and you need a seperate test to drive anything over 3500kg.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 5/10/06 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
as gaz says, you need c1 entitlement to drive between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes. With your standard cat B license obtained after 1997 you only have provisional c1 (in fact you have to apply for it), and need to take an extra test, possibly in a rigid lorry but im not sure of the details.

[Edited on 5/10/06 by JoelP]

lsdweb

posted on 5/10/06 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Being old has its advantages! Passed my test in 1982. I have a Class 3 LGV As well so this would be no proble although my good lady would be a bit pissed off to see a big lorry outside!!

Wyn

lsdweb

posted on 12/10/06 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
I've been looking at box vans like this but most don't appear to have enough weight / torque / power to carry a 400kg race car, 100kg of bits / tools etc and to tow a 1200kg caravan.

Wyn

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.