Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: House electrical advice
Colnago_Man

posted on 16/3/07 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
House electrical advice

Morning.
Thinking of changing the lighting in the bathroom to some nice recessed downlights. Am okay just cutting some holes in a ceiling then moving the loft lagging to one side , fitting the lights in the holes then putting the lagging back over the lights. Or will I need to fit something over the lights to stop the lagging sitting on top of the them?

davie dickson

posted on 16/3/07 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Proper flame-retardant hoods are cheaply available for downlighters. Definately recomended.
iiyama

posted on 16/3/07 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Definatly DO NOT put the lagging back over! Halogens should have a miniumum clearance of 100mm all round, or flame covers fitted which are not that cheap!

Also need to be IP 65 rated if it is possible to touch the lights while in contact with water, ie while having a shower.

Im pretty sure that its also Regs to use low voltage

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

Confused but excited.

posted on 16/3/07 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
There are regulations governing the type of light fittings that you can use in a bathroom, depending on where abouts on the ceiling you intend to install them in relation to the plumbing fittings (bath, shower or hand basin etc.).
A bathroom is generally devided into three areas each with diffferent requirements. Your local plumbing/electrical supplier should have a leaflet explaining these areas and the relevant requirements.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

iiyama

posted on 16/3/07 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
If you go that route, technically you shouldnt touch it if you are not qualified. Part P has changed a lot of things.......

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

twybrow

posted on 16/3/07 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
I thought a DIYer cant touch any major electrics in a bathroom (or kitchen). You can change a like-for-like fitting, but not to something new. Could be wrong however.
iiyama

posted on 16/3/07 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
I thought a DIYer cant touch any major electrics in a bathroom (or kitchen). You can change a like-for-like fitting, but not to something new. Could be wrong however.

By the letter of the law...pretty much spot on! But not so much DIY as anyone who is not qualified. Always used to be that as long as you were competent you could do pretty much anything electrical in domestic premisis. Those days have long gone!

[Edited on 16/3/07 by iiyama]

locogeoff

posted on 16/3/07 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Bit of a thread hijack but how difficult would it be to become certified to do you're own house stuff, given that I've got an engineering degree BEng not BSc which means that I had to do a certain amount of practical electrical installation work etc rather than just the theory
iiyama

posted on 16/3/07 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Need to contact you local college bud, and to be honest the beaurocracy is BS.

My father is a fully qualified elctrical engineer and yet he is not qualified in the eyes of authority for any electrical work. And get this.....he tought the 16th edition for 25 years! A collegue f his has left lecturing and gone self employed, hes had to take the Part P qualifications too.....

nitram38

posted on 16/3/07 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
P*sses me off that I have to take the part P even though I have been an Electrician for 27 years.
A Builder can take a 2 day course and be part P certified. He can then rewire your house.
Who would you trust to do the work?
Just another Money spinner I am afraid.

iiyama

posted on 16/3/07 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Just another tax dude.....

Spyderman

posted on 16/3/07 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Who's to say these modifications weren't carried out before the change of rules?

Spyderman

iiyama

posted on 16/3/07 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Unless you have an old stock of cable, the colours have changed....

froggy

posted on 16/3/07 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
i had grief with recessed lights when i built my house as the building inspector wasnt bothered about me fitting hoods and the fitting manufacturers said that the hoods would shorten bulb life but the structural warranty people said i had to fit them i have over eighty recessed lights in my house and the hoods were £7.50 each.
darrens

posted on 16/3/07 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
there is also the extortionate cost of registering for Part P which is then renewed at another extortionate cost annually!!
JoelP

posted on 16/3/07 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
NICEIC was over £400 last year, im not renewing it again now as my contractor is registered.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.