Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: V6 24V Cosworth engine refurb
ADD

posted on 8/5/07 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
V6 24V Cosworth engine refurb

Has anyone out there had experience of refurbishing a 2.9 24v v6 BOA engine? If so how extortionate were the parts?

Thanks

Adam

24vseven

posted on 8/5/07 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
there not cheep mate gaskets are hard to come by to some everything is different to the 12v engine do you need to rebuild it?
flak monkey

posted on 8/5/07 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
If all else fails. Burton Power sell all the gaskets.

A top end gasket set is £115
A bottom end set £35

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

jambojeef

posted on 8/5/07 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Also, the cam chain tensioner blades are difficult to obtain.

IIRC the left hand blade is available but the right hand isnt or something like that - unfortunate since the cam chain will need replacing and the blades will amost certainly need renewing aswell - chain isnt cheap either!

Top Boss tuning down south somewhere used to be the 24v dudes - maybe give them a call?

Geoff

mookaloid

posted on 8/5/07 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
If it needs a lot of work Pistons - rebore - crank regrind etc etc then you'd be better off moneywise getting another motor..... you can prolly get another whole car for well under a grand then sell the other bits off.

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

saigonij

posted on 8/5/07 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
i have reconditioned a 24v before.

can you hear the engine running? to be honest they are tough engines and i doubt it will need a rebore.

take the sump off, then take the front cover off ( you can do this without removing the heads ). looks at the chain tensioner blade. if its worn, contact Top BOss as they are the only people i know of that sell them.

you have 5 guides, and a tensioner blade. then you shoudl also look at replacing the actual tensioner itsself. this is the main cause of problems - it can leak oil while the engine is off, and therefore will not tension the blade on startup. floppy blade = not good sound - chain jump, gnashing of teeth and 12 hours of listening to mica.

gaskets are expensive. dont be tempted to remove the rocker cover gaskets - they are not replaceable from ford - nor burton power - what ever their website tries to claim.

there is alot of resource on the following web site, http://www.fordpower.org.uk/forum/ with a very helpful guy called madoldbugger

24vseven

posted on 8/5/07 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
have to recomend ford power i use it a lot myself very helpful people on there
NeilP

posted on 8/5/07 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Fitz Pinnock is the gaffer at Top Boss who cleaned and checked mine (including fitting the cam chain tensioner elbow).

He's forgotten more about the 24v than most people learn - He can get parts cheaper than most (including Burton) - He's rammed with work at the moment and you'll need to be very specific on the time...

As saigonij said - These engines are nearly bombproof - Only ever hooked up to an autobox that took all the punishment - If you can get your donor to kickdown and it roars up the road you'll be OK - Plenty of folks on here who have seen the light despite merciless teasing from the BEC boys re: boat anchors

p.s. Check out the website and look at blue steel - He's just fitted T34 hybrids and it's looking like it may go well over 700bhp www.topbossperformance.co.uk

p.p.s. Almost forgot - Madoldbugger on interford.co.uk and his mates are also very knowledgable on the BOA and BOB

[Edited on 8/5/2007 by NeilP]

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.