Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: More progress, again. Play spot the SVA failure....
flak monkey

posted on 13/6/07 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
More progress, again. Play spot the SVA failure....

Been busy again, and had Matt around to play spot the SVA failure. Covered a couple more edges around the back which has tidied it up some more.

Got the VIN stamped and welded on as well as riveted on a plate...

Heres some pics, if you can see anything which could be a potential SVA issue please let me know. Also looking for ideas for how to cover the headlight threads.

Also the plate under the roll hoop has a corner facing the rear above the back panel which could be a problem? Not a forward facing edge though...

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

andylancaster3000

posted on 13/6/07 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Steering wheel maybe?
StevieB

posted on 13/6/07 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
For the headlight threads try a bit of heat shrink - it'll cover the threads and look ok too.

Maybe the steering links too - some self amalgamating tape around those extentions to put a better radius on them might be worthwhile (it'll look daft, but at least you won't fail for something so simple and daft to miss)

[Edited on 13/6/07 by StevieB]

Humbug

posted on 13/6/07 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
bolt holes in the gear knob? Could fill them with a dab of silicone if necessary
locoR1

posted on 13/6/07 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
That is looking very nice David a real credit to you! Excellent choice of colour as well

I can only see a couple of things the first im sure you know the mountney wheel. most use the sierra wheel for sva.

The next one is your gear knob it look like its got groves round it, have they got a radius on them if not I would just stretch some large o rings over it (They picked this up on my brothers mk at Norwich)

Cheers Dave…………

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

Confused but excited.

posted on 13/6/07 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Very tidy job.
Glad to you you fitted those foam thingies ,that stop small children clogging up your carbs.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

nludkin

posted on 13/6/07 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
As said above, more tape around the steering extensions wouldn't hurt. I think you need a padded section on the steering wheel to be SVA friendly. And you will need some tape around the camber adjusters as they will get contacted upon by the damn EU sized knee thingie.

Apart from that it's a very tidy car indeed! It should sail through the SVA fairly easily!

JohnN

posted on 13/6/07 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got reflectors in your front indicators? My tester said as bike indicators, they were too dim, and probably had no reflectors. I chopped up the plasic reflector from an old torch, it made quite a difference.

Very tidy car by the way !

[Edited on 13/6/07 by JohnN]

CAD Monkey

posted on 13/6/07 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Sod the SVA...Where do all your Avatars come from!?!?!?!?
mookaloid

posted on 13/6/07 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
That looks really good David

Only things I can see are the headlamp threads and steering wheel as above - also the centre mirror base where the two mounting screws go is a potential fail as it is a 'sharp' edge. stick some foam on it or something.

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Marlon

posted on 13/6/07 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
That is looking like a really nice motor!
For the threads on my lights I used track rod covers cabletied on at the top, the second item down on the tifosi site.

As for potential fails, What are the harness hole like in the seats? do they need any edge trim?
Are your toggle swithces uinside the "zone" of the steering wheel?

hth

john.

Band Anyone?

Linky to SWMBO 's band
Linky to Brother in laws band
MKoc 1081

Avoneer

posted on 13/6/07 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Yep - holes in seats need U trim.

Wheel will fail unless it's padded.

So will knob - fill the holes with silicone until after SVA.

Pat..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
graememk

posted on 13/6/07 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
steering wheel mate.............

you can have the sva pad as soon as i get one back, i have two lend out and niether have come back.

i know one is maybe still in use though.

Catpuss

posted on 13/6/07 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
As the meet on Tuesday there was a rather good solution to the wires from the head lights - Stainless steel shower head pipes, nice and flexible, you can poke the wires down the center and they are designed to get wet without rusting.
matt.c

posted on 13/6/07 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Image deleted by owner

These edges "circled" are a problem that we found tonight. Not sure what to do there? Headlight threads will be covered up after adjustment. Steering wheel and gear knob will be changed to SVA ones.

your car is a very nice example flak

worX

posted on 13/6/07 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
People have already mentioned Steering wheel and gear knob, which I am sure with your SVA knowledge you already knew.

I would add to the remarks about the bottom of the headlight thread, but instead of covering it, why don't you just cut them off in line with the brackets themselves? It seems an easier fix to me.

Also to add though, I know others may have had problems with harness holes, but I was told by my examiner that they did not have to be covered.

Steve

Avoneer

posted on 13/6/07 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, but for the sake of it, cover them with that magic u trim that falls off on the way heom from the test centre.

Very neat car by the way.

Pat...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bob C

posted on 13/6/07 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Flak - don't cover the headlight threads - saw 'em off! you know you should!
The triangular clips on the back of the seat belts was a radius fail for me - temporary Utrim got me through the retest.
Bob

flak monkey

posted on 14/6/07 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comments guys, some good suggestions.

The harness slots have edge trim in already (you cant see it on the pics) and the harness mounting plates are also edge trimmed.

I am guessing that the front upper forward mount for the wishbone will need something on it. Will cover that with a bit of siliconed onU-trim if i can get some on there.

Shall dig some foam out to cover the camber adjuster and will wrap some more self amalgamating tape around the TR extensions.

I was aware of the wheel being an issue. Its also not on a collapsable boss, but hopefully I will be able to borrow the bits from Graeme. I am also going to put a sierra gear knob on for SVA. Anyone got one knocking about?

I'll take a hacksaw to the headlight threads later or tomorrow then. However the nut does protrude from the bottom of the bracket by about 5mm too...

Cheers,
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

speedyxjs

posted on 14/6/07 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
Looks good david!
Have you booked SVA yet?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Hammerhead

posted on 14/6/07 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Hi David,

Did you use the foam profile that I sent you on the underside of your dash?

Car looks great. After you cut the thread on the headlight can you put a plastic nut cover over the nut that protrudes by 5mm?

Steve.

02GF74

posted on 14/6/07 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
those toggle switches are in the exempt zone swept by the steering wheel right?
oily85

posted on 14/6/07 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a sierra gear knob you could borrow, it doesn't look that great but it should do the job
spw1970

posted on 14/6/07 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Well I am not qualified in any way, shape or form to advise on SVA but must say that your car looks stunning. Attention to detail is everything on kit cars in my opinion and yours is superb.

Stuart

Macbeast

posted on 14/6/07 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Will probably fail for being excessively yellow

Good work David, look forward to seeing it in the flesh someday (or one of the avatars would do )

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.