Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CV Boots keep splitting
RazMan

posted on 22/8/07 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
CV Boots keep splitting

The inner CV joints (tripodes) on my V6 are running at a small angle and it seems that when road speeds get 'enthusiastic' the CV boot starts to wobble and very quickly splits, letting all the grease out into my engine bay

Does anyone know of a more rigid type of boot which will not go out of shape so quickly?

[Edited on 22-8-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nludkin

posted on 22/8/07 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
I can't remember which book I read it in, but a trick of the racing types is to put a cable tie around the center of the boot to stop it expanding and wobbling at speed. This might help you out?
mcerd1

posted on 22/8/07 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
GKN do 'fast boots'

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/GKN-CV-JOINTS-CV-Joints/c295_296/index.html

RazMan

posted on 22/8/07 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
GKN do 'fast boots'

Now that's what I was thinking about ..... except they are for the outer CV joints (lobros) but I might use them anyway (while I've got them stripped) for peace of mind. Ta for the link

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 22/8/07 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nludkin
I can't remember which book I read it in, but a trick of the racing types is to put a cable tie around the center of the boot to stop it expanding and wobbling at speed. This might help you out?

I seem to recall something like that too. That might be a last resort (simple though) if I dont find anything suitable

Cheers,
Raz

Russ-Turner

posted on 22/8/07 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
We run something similar on our Formula Ford two litres to the piccy shown above (except we run cv's at both ends.) I hadn't had much to do with them until the other day when I stripped and reassembled both driveshafts. An old boy that has worked on then for years told me to push the small diameter end of the boot (the bit in contact with the driveshaft) in towards the joint to stop the boot twisting. (we don't run oetiker clips or cable ties on any of our boots on the Formula Fords either) Might be worth a try as we never have any problems with ours. I'd never seen the above done before until this old bolty pointed it out to me.

RazMan

posted on 22/8/07 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Aha now that makes some sense - it should encourage the concertina sections to keep a little closer and making the whole boot more rigid.

Russ, when you say that you don't use any clips or ties, how do you keep the boot in place on the driveshaft and tripode bell?

Cheers,
Raz

britishtrident

posted on 23/8/07 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
Too much grease ?

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

RazMan

posted on 23/8/07 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Did think about that - I used the sachet of grease that came with the boot kit so I doubt they are overloaded. I will make sure when I get time to replace the boot - it seems to only leak above 120mph (on a private track of course)

I would imagine it would be ok to whip off the old boot with the excess grease and just pop on a new boot without adding any extra grease - any more grease than can fit inside the tripode bell is useless anyway right?

[Edited on 23-8-07 by RazMan]

MikeRJ

posted on 24/8/07 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Did think about that - I used the sachet of grease that came with the boot kit so I doubt they are overloaded. I will make sure when I get time to replace the boot - it seems to only leak above 120mph (on a private track of course)

You have a Duratec V6 engine and transmission don't you? The ST200 and ST220 must be capable of more than 120mph, how did Ford manage on that?

Have you been using genuine boots are aftermarket cheapies?

RazMan

posted on 31/8/07 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Sorted!

Mike, you are spot on I have been using aftermarket boots so this time I went to my local Ford dealer and ordered genuine parts. They are more like the 'fast boots' pictured above and are really stiff compared to the concertina style aftermarket ones which are very floppy.

There's a moral there somewhere ....

I decided to get the 'fast boots' for the outer joints too (might as well while its all stripped down) £65 for all the boots Ah well, its only money

[Edited on 31-8-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

RazMan

posted on 4/9/07 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Here is a pic of the quality boots - far superior to the aftermarket jobbies.
Tridod boot is front left and Lobro boot is front right.

[Edited on 4-9-07 by RazMan] Rescued attachment Driveshaft Boots.jpg
Rescued attachment Driveshaft Boots.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.