Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 406 cv boot change
locoboy

posted on 16/12/07 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
406 cv boot change

Had some very bizzare goings on with my 406 TD today.

Drove it home yesterday no problem and parked it on the drive.

Went out to works Chrismas do, got wasted etc etc. (not driving)

Got up about midday with a bit of a hangover and messed about in the garage for a few hours.

Decided to take the dog for a walk (we drive to the foot of a local hill to walk her up there)

Got the dog in the boot and the front drivers side of my car was well low, its parked on a slope wo i though that was it.

Crept off the drive and it was gringing and graunching like mad so backed it up, and cheesed the dog off by putting her back in the house!

jacked it up and got the road wheel off and the coil spring had snapped and slipped off the lower seat and had bent the brakets etc that retain the brake flexi and the pad wear wiring.

The broken sharp end of the spring had spiked into the CV boot and as i moved it forward it ripped it apart.

I have stripped the shocker off the car and got the broken spring off.

Does anyonr know how to split the shaft from the CV joint, Outer CV on drivers side?

I have tomorrow morning booked off work anyway so im hoping to get a new spring and boot in the morning and re fit.

I noticed that there is a ball race at the top of the shocker strut to allow the strut to turn as you steer, most of the ball bearings are missing am i likely to be able to buy this race on its own or am i going to have to get the whole strut and shocker?

All this at 3.00pm on a Sunday

BTW its freezing outside, i have a nice warm empty garage too but couldnt move the bloody car!

Misses said she heard a bang this morning a couple of hours before i got up, i guess that was it letting go

Good job it didnt go when i was driving eh

ATB
Locoboy

bigrich

posted on 16/12/07 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
strut top brg should be available seperately although probs only from main stealer but may be worth a call to GSF
outer cv iirc just knock off from shaft just held with a snap ring
Broken coil springs are becomming more and more common suspect cheaper materials and the blight of speed bumps are the main causes

Rich

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

froggy

posted on 16/12/07 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
second hand leg will be cheaper than a spring and to bearing
theconrodkid

posted on 16/12/07 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
if its the 3 pronged cv jobbie the inner pot joint comes off and slide the boot along the shaft.
some,where neither joint comes off. you have to use a trumpet and slide the boot over that,pain of a job

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

locoboy

posted on 16/12/07 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
What is a 3 pronged cv jobbie?

Im stuck without transport tomorrow so cant try GSF, and a second hand leg would be hard to come by too as i cant get out and about, i have a factors about 5 min walk from me so im forced to use them unfortunately.

I dont want to risk pulling the inner join out the gearbox really and having to change the oil etc in that, i have enough to do tomorrow before 12 when im due into work without adding things to the list!

ATB
Locoboy

rusty nuts

posted on 16/12/07 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
What you need is a stretch type C.V gaiter but you will need a cone to fit it with. Motor factors should have the gaiter , they may sell the cone as well only a few pounds. It is possible to get an air powered stretcher for the gaiter , they tend to be expensive but do make the job easier.
adithorp

posted on 16/12/07 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Get a strech boot (QH duraboot) and a cone. Turn the boot inside out and slide it over, big end first, with lots of spray silicone lube. Then turn it back the right way out and fit the clips.

Be carefull fitting the spring (should be done in pairs); if it lets fly and comes out of the compressor it'll break your jaw!

adrian

Spyderman

posted on 17/12/07 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
And the top bearing cost a small fortune, £60 from GSF. Heaven knows what it would be like from a motor factors?

Spyderman

locoboy

posted on 17/12/07 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
£64, bloody joke.

I ended up buying a 2nd hand strut, spring, hub, droplink, bearing delivered for £60

Good ole ebay!

ATB
Locoboy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.