Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Where to buy new/recon sierra front hubs and uprights?
Gremlin

posted on 25/11/03 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Where to buy new/recon sierra front hubs and uprights?

As the title says. Where is the bests/cheapest place to but new/recon sierra front hubs and uprights?

Cheers

Mike

EZy GreMLiN

"The only way to get rid of temptation is too give in to it..!"

Ben_Copeland

posted on 25/11/03 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Local motor factors might do them, on exchange for old parts.

Keep an eye out on the for sale section.

Why not buy old ones, and do the work yourself.... most people do. Not difficult.

Ford would probably be the last place.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

dozracing

posted on 25/11/03 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
I sell most of the service parts required to do this, and its not at all expensive.

www.gtstuning.co.uk

Kind regards,

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JohnN

posted on 25/11/03 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

You could try Grant at Luego on 01733 552911, he had some new ones there when I visited last week, and some old ones were being refurbished.

If you are going to disassemble them to better clean the castings or replace the bearings, you will need some tools that are not in everybodys toolkit....

First of all you'll need a 41mm socket to undo the hub nut, which of course only comes with a 3/4 inch drive socket set, then, ideally you'll need a gear puller to separate the hub and finally, for the front at least, you'll likely need a bearing/gear separator to get one of the bearings off the hub shaft.

If you don't already have or can borrow such gear then ready refurbed or new will look more attractive.

GTS probably have the best price for hub bearing kits, 3 or 4 times as much if you go to Ford for the parts. Just the seals per hub at Ford will cost approx £7 if you leave the old bearings in place.

JohnN

barrie sharp

posted on 25/11/03 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
try a place called KIT FIT on 01636893453
based in Newark.notts
not cheep!! but very well finished
think i have a price list somewere.try to look it out for you .

the cars looking good" a blind man would be pleased to see it"
''stop press'' the blind mans seen it said "it felt ok"

blueshift

posted on 26/11/03 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
just for the record, you can get 41mm sockets in 1/2" drive - I have an air impact one. brand was "laser" I think, cost me about a tenner from a nice treasure trove tool shop in bracknell.
James

posted on 26/11/03 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Bluey,

Sounds like we got the same one! Mine survived the 650lbs/ft needed to get my rear hub nuts off too so even a 1/2" seems pretty strong.

Cheers,

James

locoboy

posted on 26/11/03 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Cant get the left hand threaded one off mine, even with an air impact gun........bastard thing. its going to cost me a new backplate, and shaft etc from the scrappys now

ATB
Locoboy

zetec

posted on 26/11/03 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
I would go to the breakers, fined some with good bearings (they are pretty tough), attack with a wire brush, paint and your done. Each side takes about 2hrs and save a few quid. Don't bother with all this if you need to have the bottom taper machined as MK just do a one for one swap and you will end up with grotty ones again!

If you bugger up the bearing access plate on the back you can get some nice new ones from Ford for pennies and they finish the job of nice.

vintagebuilder

posted on 26/11/03 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
I took mine to the local shot blasters got them done for £4 per side.Took them to MK who did my own hubs while I waited.
blueshift

posted on 26/11/03 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
colm; our left-hand one wouldn't come off immediately with an air wrench either, the bloke switched it the other way which the gun could apparently apply a lot more torque at and tightened it slightly, but it broke the rust seal and then eventually (though it took about 30s of standing on it with the gun going ptptpt) it was undone.

james; sounds like it, I don't know what torque ours needed, but it was more than the wrench at the rover centre could put out at first

James

posted on 26/11/03 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zetec
I would go to the breakers, fined some with good bearings (they are pretty tough), attack with a wire brush, paint and your done. Each side takes about 2hrs and save a few quid. Don't bother with all this if you need to have the bottom taper machined as MK just do a one for one swap and you will end up with grotty ones again!

If you bugger up the bearing access plate on the back you can get some nice new ones from Ford for pennies and they finish the job of nice.

Hi Zetec,

Problem is, if you don't get the hub nut off you can't split the hub/bearing carrier and extract it from the Sierra wishbone.

Cheers,
James

locoboy

posted on 26/11/03 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
we tried tightening it a bit too but no good, soaked it in wd40 but no good, heated it up but no good.

Kick the shite out of it, made me feel good

ATB
Locoboy

James

posted on 26/11/03 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Col,

Basically what Blueshift just said!

Phone round garages etc. till you find somewhere that does tractors/lorries etc. As they'll have the big power stuff. My usual garage couldn't get mine off with a 500lbs/ft but matey down the raod with 650 could.
Take your 41mm impact with you too!

Doesn't hurt to up-end it and spend a couple of days soaking it in WD40 every so often.

There's always the blowtorch option aswell to try and loosen it and I'd have thought if really desperate extremely careful application of your angle grinder to gradually shave off pieces of the nut.

A new hub nut is about £4.50+ from Ford.

Good Luck!

James

[Edited on 26/11/03 by James]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.