Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BMW hub to sierra driveshaft?
nludkin

posted on 22/6/08 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
BMW hub to sierra driveshaft?

I am currently designing a mid-engined car and will need to get some wide wheels on the back that are 19" to get enough ground clearance. However, using the sierra rear hubs I will have to shell out a fair bit for alloys that are upto the job (Ones on ebay are only ever go up to 18" )

So, my question is, does anyone know if there is a BMW rear hub that can bolt straight onto a sierra driveshaft? Then I could buy some BMW hubs, design around them and then have access to all the lovely cheap 18" 255 on the bay of e.

chrism

posted on 22/6/08 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
You could probably get some custom driveshafts made that have the correct splines on each end to connect to the sierra and bmw parts.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

indykid

posted on 22/6/08 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
why do you need such stupidly big wheels to get enough ground clearance in something you're designing from scratch?

i'd look at the design of the suspension again before i started looking at new hubs and massive wheels.

tom

nludkin

posted on 22/6/08 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
I have decided to use a rover v8 bolted to an inverted renault un1. This gives a ground clearance of, well, not a great deal. 18" wheels with a profile of 255/40 would give the perfect ground clearance for the current design. Being that size of wheel it would probably be a 8.5J and could hold larger tread should I drop a more powerful rover lump in the future.

I could of course chop the sump and seriously butcher the current bellhousing, but I thought planning for larger rear wheels wouldn't necessarily be a bad plan?

Fred W B

posted on 22/6/08 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
The drive shafts don't have to be horizontial you know?

I can't understand why the transaxle chosen would constrain the ground clearnance?

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.