Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bodyshop Paint Job
jnormandale

posted on 11/9/08 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Bodyshop Paint Job

Hello all,

I have never painted anything as large as my chassis before and worried that if I attempt to paint it with a compressor and spray gun, i'm going to F**K it up.

Does anyone know of any good cheap bodyshops around Lincolnshire area.

Does anyone have any painting tips or quotes that people have given them to paint there cars?

Any input would really help me.

Cheers James

[Edited on 09/12/2007 by jnormandale]

matt_claydon

posted on 11/9/08 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Can't help with the question I'm afraid, but you might get a better answer in the Bodywork forum than 'For Sale'
nick205

posted on 11/9/08 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Have you thought about powder coating?

Possibly cheaper than getting it professionally spray painted and providing it's done properly it should be more durable too.

I would expect to pay between £2-300 to have it blasted and coated.

nick205

posted on 11/9/08 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_claydon
Can't help with the question I'm afraid, but you might get a better answer in the Bodywork forum than 'For Sale'

Didn't even notice that

JamJah

posted on 11/9/08 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Sure I willget shot down but here goes... what is wrong with brush painting enamel paint??
Advantages are that it is very withstanding and can be touched up easily.

This is personal advise or personal opinion.
Constructive comments gratefully recieved, picking is left for noses.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 11/9/08 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
I think a chassis is a great idea to teach yourself to spray given that once its finished, most of it will be hidden anyway!! I havent done any spraying in a long time myself but will be doing some shortly to relearn (on someone else's nosecone!! I'm not daft ya know!! Hi Ben ). You may even find a local college course if you are lucky.

Have you tried the library for books on the subject?? I'm sure i have also seen cheap dvd's on ebay - dont know if anyone has tried these??

Preparation is the biggest thing anyway. Contaminants can be a killer (dust, silicone polishes, grease etc etc) so you need a clean area to spray in and take care with preparation before even thinking of applying any paint.

I'd say give it a go. Practice on scrap stuff before doing anything important and i'm sure you'll get there.

theconrodkid

posted on 11/9/08 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
if you try to spray a chassis, most of the paint will miss and end up on the wall,get a small roller and a paint brush,red lead and gloss on top.job done

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

splitrivet

posted on 11/9/08 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Painting a chassis isnt a great project for a spraygun unless your using a small touch up gun it wastes more paint than owt else.Why not just get a few large aerosols from anywhere but Halfrauds.

As Paul said give it a go who's going to see it.

Conrods idea is good gloss is a lot more durable.

Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 11/9/08 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Paul TigerB6

posted on 11/9/08 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JamJahAdvantages are that it is very withstanding and can be touched up easily.

There are a few "laydee's" around here who are much like enamel paint then!!

02GF74

posted on 11/9/08 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
yep - most of the paint will lost;

a small roller is the way - folks have painted land rovers and the result is pretty good.

AdamR

posted on 11/9/08 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Having both brush painted AND sprayed my chassis, I can tell you that the spraying was much faster and more enjoyable of the two. Yes, there will be some paint wastage but it's an perhaps extra £10 on paint versus hours of brushing!

See this thread for my experiences.

Fozzie

posted on 11/9/08 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Thread moved to correct section....

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

jnormandale

posted on 11/9/08 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Paintwork

Apologies for refering to my chassis? I really meant body work, i.e. external panels, scuttle, bonnet and nose cone? Any tips?

P.S. sorry for putting it in the for sale section! Lol!

big_wasa

posted on 11/9/08 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Lincolnshire is a fair-ish area do you want to narrow it down a little ?
DarrenW

posted on 12/9/08 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
I reber JeffC posted an excellent thread on painting a Westfield on WSCC. That is well worth searching for. He is a painter by trade but he goes into a lot of detail about the prep stages. Ive never painted a car myself but have had a mate do one for me. I recall that it was the prep that was most time consuming. You might save yourself some cash if you can do those bits yourself. Only downer is that the bodyshop will have an out if the end result isnt quite what you want, however it shouldnt be too hard on a car with minimal bodywork.

Even if you do the stripping down, masking and rebuilding yourself you should save a good few hours.

PaulBuz

posted on 12/9/08 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Hi James
I notice that you are building a Haynes car.
If you are building it all yourself, then I reckon painting it should be a breeze for you if you take your time.
I am building a locost & sprayed the car in my single garage, with cheap m/c Mart kit.
I'm pleased with the results, esp. considering I've never sprayed anything before.
But bear in mind if spraying at home you will (should), be using non 2 pack paint, which means that the finish won't be as durable as a profess. sprayed 2 pack.
My reasoning is the car is mostly garaged anyway, so this is'nt necessarily a problem.
Look up some old posts from Mark Allinson. He gave me some good pointers from this forum.

ATB
Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.