Board logo

spring rates
ricklawn - 13/11/07 at 03:00 PM

Hi Guys
got a fury 1.8 zetec, and the shocks are in need of replacement. Any idea what spring rates would be best.
Thanks Rick

nitram38 - 13/11/07 at 03:08 PM

That would depend on lots of things, like road or race use, your weight, weight of car.
Access to a cornerweight gauge would be a good start so that you can determine the weight on each corner and see what is needed. It's a pity you are not closer to me as I have a corner weight gauge.
You might be disapointed with someone else's setup, so measuring is the way to go.

ricklawn - 13/11/07 at 03:13 PM

car is mainly just for road with possibly the odd trackday.
me as driver 14st ish ( diet after xmas)

nitram38 - 14/11/07 at 05:55 AM

I would like to be 14st!
Sorry I can't help with spring rate estimate. You will need someone else to reply with a similar set up.
Are the original springs marked?
If they are (usually on the flat ends) then at least you will have a starting reference.

brycheiniog - 31/12/07 at 05:14 PM

I recently went through this process with a live axle Fury. One of the original Spax (12 years old..) shocks dumped its oil everywhere so I decided it was time to upgrade.

Fisher recommended springs for all road cars were 180lb fronts and 130lb rears. For a road/track car they go to 225lb fronts and 180lb rears.

180/130 were on the car originally, and these worked quite well with the old xflow and 4speed box but with a Zetec and 5speed box it started to bottom out.

I ended up going for 200lb fronts and 150lb rears with a new set of protech shocks. Time will tell if this is the right idea or not .

Jonathan